VGFacts

Full Version: Video Game Movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Any of you have any opinions on Video Game adaptations?

I don't mind if they're good, like the Phoenix Wright film was pretty good, but if you've never played PW before, then it's not for you.

I've also seen the Mario Bros movie, hell I saw it when I was about 10 and it sucked then, and I guess it sucked now, haha.
I own Doom and BloodRayne. I like Doom. BloodRayne...... not so much.

Pokemon does not count.

I really don't mind the bad movies. There not really that bad....... not counting Mario which is REALLY bad.
The Mortal Kombat movie was pretty good, the sequel...
(04-14-2014, 07:58 PM)DeerBoarDude Wrote: [ -> ]The Mortal Kombat movie was pretty good, the sequel...

OH. I own that one too. Not half bad. I complained a lot before knowing what the whole story for the games were. Now I like it more.

Never seen the sequel and from what I hear, that's a good thing.
The Super Mario Bros. movie didn't suck, it was just too awesome for you to handle.
[Image: super-mario-monster.jpg]
You know it.
(04-14-2014, 08:12 PM)ssbawesome Wrote: [ -> ]The Super Mario Bros. movie didn't suck, it was just too awesome for you to handle.
[Image: super-mario-monster.jpg]
You know it.

The Mario movie does not suck as a movie. It sucks as a MARIO movie. It seems like they put Mario Bros on an unrelated movie and changed the names to Mario trems.

Admit it. ^ That does not look like a Goomba.
^It looks more like the Witch Doctor from Beetlejuice went psycho on some people. He thought shrunken heads just wasn't cool enough so it is now shrunken lizard-people heads on giant bodies! Hilarity follows.....but not really.
I think cross media work has always had an associated risk of disappointing both sides of the spectrum, which leads to some interesting things like the Lara Croft movie and Catwoman in regards to comics. Of course, that's just the associated risk. There's still good movies that happen, its just a matter of someone who understands.
I don't mind them, as long as they are done well. Or at least not done by Uwe Boll or Paul W.S. Anderson. Why companies ever let them do adaptations of their work is beyond me. At least Blizzard turned Uwe down with the whole Warcraft movie deal somewhere along the line.

I tend to like a lot of the lesser liked VG movies, like Doom, the Mortal Kombat films, both of the Tomb Raider films, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within and Super Mario Bros. Still, there are a few that are so unmistakenly bad it hurts my very soul to even think that they exist, like Resident Evil: Afterlife and DoA: Dead or Alive. The live action Tekken film was pretty terrible as well.

I'm still yet to see some of the more dreaded ones like both live action Street Fighter films, Double Dragon and House of the Dead. I will watch them at some point. I must. Bloodrayne I'll pass because the series itself is not really my cup of tea to begin with.

I'm interested in seeing what they'll do with IPs like Need for Speed, Gran Turismo and World of Warcraft.
The Mario bros movie had some serious production problems, it suffered a case of 'too many cooks spoil the broth'. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I do remember liking Bob Hoskin's acting as Mario.
There's quite a few adaptations that are worth their money, like the Live Action Tekken movie, the Prince of Persia movie, the original Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, Postal, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, Final Fantasy: Advent Children, Halo: Forward unto Dawn. Some of them are even fantastic. So, the genre isn't all busts.
There are a few good ones like Wastelander said but I'll add in Resident Evil Degeneration and Damnation. Both of those were quite enjoyable. What I'm really looking forward to are the ones to come like the Ratchet and Clank film, Sly Cooper and The Last of Us. Any and all of those could be amazing.
Honestly, I haven't watched most video game movies since most of them aren't really appealing or very bad (ex. Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, Super Mario Bros., Live-Action Resident Evil)

Though I will say that Resident Evil: Damnation does a good job being a video game movie.
(04-15-2014, 08:15 AM)Wastelander Wrote: [ -> ]Halo: Forward unto Dawn

There's a Halo movie other than Legends? I'll have to check this out.
(04-15-2014, 09:33 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-15-2014, 08:15 AM)Wastelander Wrote: [ -> ]Halo: Forward unto Dawn

There's a Halo movie other than Legends? I'll have to check this out.

Yeah, it's a prequel to Halo 4 I believe. Haven't watched it yet, but I heard it was alright.
Pages: 1 2