VGFacts

Full Version: Odd ways you've gotten into great games.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How'd you get into some of your favourites?

I got into Chrono Trigger because my brother downloaded a SNES Emu for the DS, and it had Chrono Trigger on it, I played a bit and found it to be really fun (I think I was about 13/14 or so) I got to 2300 AD then the save corrupted.

I downloaded the DS Version a couple months later and got to Lavos about 2 years later, never did complete it, it's just a save file on an R4 now.

As for Phoenix Wright, my brother downloaded that on the DS as well, he got up to Case 2 and never really tried to get any further, I soon played it and found it interesting and restarted the game and played it from the start to the end. My first VN I believe.

Not sure about other games, but hey you guys must have interesting stories.
I got into the original Banjo kazooie after eavesdropping on a conversation that was going on with someone at Target. At first I gave it some thought and said to myself 'a platforming game about a bear with a bird in his backpack. Odd'. Then the other thoughts about the game came into me. I later decided to play it. Then I was in for an adventure.

I got into Wario because my mom mistook it as a Mario game(Wario is with a W for a reason). I found the treasure collecting as well as money collecting a good challenge for a game like Wario.
Are Boobs an odd enough reason? A few years back, me and my brother were looking for games to buy for our 360. I got Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts [Image: frown.gif] and my brother got Dead or Alive 4 (due to him being 13 at the time and wanted to see bouncing boobs). Lets just say that we have become fans of the game and it's not only because of the girls (even though we broke a controller due to Alpha-152).

My uncle did the same thing yesterday. He downloaded Thief due to boobs in the trailer. It being a great game or not is debatable since I have not played it.
I looked at the back of the N64 box when we got it.
I saw a small picture of F-Zero X on that back of the box.
I was convinced it would be the coolest game ever and begged my Dad to buy if for me just from that one picture.

I still think it the coolest game ever.
Especially when I was little and didn't have the internet I just went based off the covers. If they were pretty and had a cool character, especially an animal, I'd get it. This method actually worked surprisingly well and I didn't miss out on any must play games.

Otherwise it was really through normal methods like seeing a friend play it, seeing a commercial, or catching an episode of X-Play. Thank goodness I saw the episode that covered Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne; that got me into the whole SMT franchise.
Might as well update with how I got into some others.

I got into God Hand when I was in a Halo thread on /v/. They all got pissed about how Halo was never discussed here, along with someone posting this picture.

It intrigued me, so I googled it and remembered the name. I found it in Cex for £12. This was a few days after Christmas and I had some money to spend so I bought it literally on a whim. I had no idea if it would be good or bad.

I fucking loved it after I played it for a few minutes, it was hard as shit but I got better, now I can beat Azel in three minutes.

As for Skies of Arcadia, possibly my favourite game of all time. My brother and I were going to go watch the Dark Knight, and my mother told me that she saw a game for the PS2 called "Zone of the Enders" in a charity shop.

We had recently bought a backwards compatible PS3 and needed some more PS2 games for it. So when we went to go watch it we stopped off at the charity shop and bought it. I then saw a Dreamcast game lurking in the corner.

I picked it up and saw "Skies of Arcadia" on the front. I asked my brother about it and he checked on his phone, turned out it was worth 9 times what they were selling it for so we just bought it; mostly to sell it.

In the end I didn't expect it to become my favourite game of all time.

I love reading your stories guys, keep em' coming.
I owe a lot to my video rental store that is attached to our grocery store. It was called Coborns Video Rental, if you've been to MN it is a chain of grocery stores here.

Before them it was Video Update which was a shitty store with crappy selection. But then my brother got a Playstation. Now I've played on other systems before PS, and loved playing video games but it wasn't until I started playing FF9 and Legend of the Dragoon that I really started to love video games.

Actually it was before that, those games were when the bomb went off, what lite the fuse was Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time along with the strategy guide. The artwork in that guide was beautiful. I even took it with me to elementary school to look at on break and read through the guide. Who ever said video games never helped with school. Hell reading the text in there and FF and Legend of the Dragoon and other RPG games that used text bubbles to have characters talk was a fantastic way to get a kid to read better else they will never know what the game is about or what the hell is going on.

After that I just played whatever I could get my hands on, and like Hex said it was mostly by the cover of the game that hooked me into buying or renting it. That and whatever was on the back to give the sort of extended tag line of the game.
I got into Phoenix Wright when I found Rule 34 of Mia Fey. No idea who it was and found it was Phoenix Wright. Shortly after I found my friend playing the game and then played it. Yo!

I got into Golden Sun on the GameBoy when I found a cartridge of it on the London Underground.

In other case, though not necessarily odd, I've browsed screenshot threads on Forums and seen some cool looking images that made me interested in the game.

Kinda the same to Retrolinkx story of God Hand. I only got into the game after I saw this infamous image:
[Image: EugIoId.jpg]
Time to play it I said. Play it I did.
(05-15-2014, 10:44 AM)retrolinkx Wrote: [ -> ]As for Phoenix Wright, my brother downloaded that on the DS as well, he got up to Case 2 and never really tried to get any further, I soon played it and found it interesting and restarted the game and played it from the start to the end. My first VN I believe.

And the rest is history, absurd YouTube video history !

(05-15-2014, 11:01 AM)CLXcool Wrote: [ -> ]I got into Wario because my mom mistook it as a Mario game(Wario is with a W for a reason). I found the treasure collecting as well as money collecting a good challenge for a game like Wario.

Which particular Wario game was this ?

(05-15-2014, 11:25 AM)gamemaster1991 Wrote: [ -> ][...]Boobs[...]Nuts[...]bouncing boobs[...]girls[...]boobs[...]

Wat.

(05-15-2014, 12:14 PM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: [ -> ]I looked at the back of the N64 box when we got it.
I saw a small picture of F-Zero X on that back of the box.
I was convinced it would be the coolest game ever and begged my Dad to buy if for me just from that one picture.

I still think it the coolest game ever.

Same for me for Gran Turismo 3. I thought "surely something can't look that cool!?" Bam. Endless fun.

(05-15-2014, 12:22 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: [ -> ]Especially when I was little and didn't have the internet I just went based off the covers. If they were pretty and had a cool character, especially an animal, I'd get it. This method actually worked surprisingly well and I didn't miss out on any must play games.

Yep, same here. When my parents would take me to the store, I would just pick out the fun-looking game. Then I would have fun not even thinking if the game itself was any good.

(05-15-2014, 01:40 PM)GameWizard001 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually it was before that, those games were when the bomb went off, what lite the fuse was Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time along with the strategy guide. The artwork in that guide was beautiful. I even took it with me to elementary school to look at on break and read through the guide. Who ever said video games never helped with school. Hell reading the text in there and FF and Legend of the Dragoon and other RPG games that used text bubbles to have characters talk was a fantastic way to get a kid to read better else they will never know what the game is about or what the hell is going on.

Reading the guide before getting the game was such an amazing feeling for anticipation. Happened to me in '04 for San Andreas.

(05-15-2014, 03:08 PM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: [ -> ]I got into Golden Sun on the GameBoy when I found a cartridge of it on the London Underground.

As good a reason as any !

My story time !

In November 2011, I got Skyrim. I beat Skyrim going through missions etc etc and then stopped playing.

Fastforward to two months ago when I re-discovered Skyrim. When I say 're-discovered' I don't mean "picked it up again", I mean I discovered how to play it in a completely different way. My love had also played Skyrim in the past so we decided to boot it up on her computer. She started playing and I was in awe.

Instead of doing all the missions and following questlines, she lived the game as a real person. She would explore, meet people, do missions here and there. More importantly, she would never fast travel which means that she couldn't just teleport from one side of the map to the other and back again just for one quest. She would factor in travel time and if it was really worth it at that time. If not, she would make a note of going to see Mr.XYZ next time she was in Markarth, etc.

With several realism mods (food, drink, sleep, hypothermia, etc.), gone were the days of just blunering along through the icy waters in the North to get somewhere quicker. Now, you had to plan to have enough food, drink and warm clothing to make it.

I started playing her way, and let me tell you that I've rarely had such fun playing a game. A game without strict objectives. A game where you just enjoy going around and exploring your environment. 11/10, would definitely recommend.
(05-15-2014, 03:08 PM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: [ -> ]I got into Phoenix Wright when I found Rule 34 of Mia Fey. No idea who it was and found it was Phoenix Wright. Shortly after I found my friend playing the game and then played it. Yo!

I got into Golden Sun on the GameBoy when I found a cartridge of it on the London Underground.

In other case, though not necessarily odd, I've browsed screenshot threads on Forums and seen some cool looking images that made me interested in the game.

Kinda the same to Retrolinkx story of God Hand. I only got into the game after I saw this infamous image:
[Image: EugIoId.jpg]
Time to play it I said. Play it I did.

Meanwhile Gone Home gets 9/10 on IGN.

They should just stop being reviewers.
I got into Soul Caliber for the character creation.
(05-15-2014, 03:31 PM)retrolinkx Wrote: [ -> ]Meanwhile Gone Home gets 9/10 on IGN.

They should just stop being reviewers.

IGN are reviewers? I thought they were paid hype machine PR monsters.
(05-15-2014, 03:14 PM)SERIOUSLY THOUGH Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-15-2014, 01:40 PM)GameWizard001 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually it was before that, those games were when the bomb went off, what lite the fuse was Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time along with the strategy guide. The artwork in that guide was beautiful. I even took it with me to elementary school to look at on break and read through the guide. Who ever said video games never helped with school. Hell reading the text in there and FF and Legend of the Dragoon and other RPG games that used text bubbles to have characters talk was a fantastic way to get a kid to read better else they will never know what the game is about or what the hell is going on.

Reading the guide before getting the game was such an amazing feeling for anticipation. Happened to me in '04 for San Andreas.

I had both the game and the strategy guide at the same time. Sad thing is, my brother both bought the game (with some of my money) and then sold it to a buddy of his for pennies of what it is worth. At the time I wasn't that good at the game, even with the guide. If I were to play it now I could beat the game no problem beyond a few moments with that stupid camera system.

I'm sure I could find a copy of LoZ:OoT for a decent price and maybe the strategy guide but I won't be doing that anytime soon.