VGFacts

Full Version: Dr. Eggman is a feminist.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Heroes_..._US_Manual

[Image: 701px-Heroes_gc_us_manual_16_17.jpg]

According to the US Sonic Heroes manual, Doctor Eggman is a feminist.
That's brilliant
Oh. My. God. Yes. That's ... wow. Yes.
[Image: bubble-(ani)objection.gif] <--- (Now with music)

[Image: phoenix-deskslam.gif]

[Image: phoenix-handsondesk(b).gif]

This could be a translation error.

[Image: phoenix-document(b).gif]

In Japanese, "feminisuto" means someone who showers women with gifts and such, basically a chivalrous person.

[Image: phoenix-thinking(b).gif]

If anything, it would come from that.

[Image: phoenix-sheepish(b).gif]

Just sayin'
Still count as a regional difference, wouldn't it? If anyone finds a translated manual of the Japanese version, it'd be great.
(06-20-2014, 10:49 AM)retrolinkx Wrote: [ -> ]Uh. It could be a translation error.

In Japanese, "feminisuto" means someone who showers women with gifts and stuff, basically a chivalrous guy. It would come from that.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Just sayin'

That would make it even more interesting.
I explained the situation to a translator and sent it off with the same page from the Japanese manual, and got this back.

Quote:The Japanese manual doesn't say "feminist" in it anywhere. Or anything like it, really. The english one sorta translates it and sorta just does their own thing. The first couple sentences in the English description is a liberal translation of the first paragraph of the Japanese one. Er, here I'll just translate the Japanese for you.

"Just as his name implies, he is an evil genius scientist. He is a genius that boasts an IQ over 300 and he is an authority on robot engineering. While he is called 'An evil genius scientist', that's fundamentally because of his childish personality (?). Anyhow, he loves 'world domination'. An despite having failed many times in the past, he comes up with world domination plans on a grander scale every time! As sonic always gets in his way, they are truly eternal rivals. But somewhere deep in his heart, he does not hate him, it seems, as he also has the trait of going out of his way to send written challenges and such."

So, sorry I can't really help you there. It might just be something the English localization team made up. The Japanese reads very much like Japanese media aimed towards kids reads, which is usually very cheesy when written literally. So the feminist thing might be just them trying to sound a bit more, uh, cool. You're right though about the Japanese word feminist, it sometimes means 'a person who indulges women' but it's not written there, and that's sort of a contextual thing.

So, looks like the localization team added the feminist thing and a few other quirks.

Thanks Kewl0210 for the translation.
^ That makes a lot more sense. I didn't really see being a feminist as part of Eggman's personality.
So, a regional difference then?
I think the trivia is fine as it is, but it could be expanded upon and incorporate the regional difference.
Alright, can you tell if I submitted this already or not? I forgot a lot of yesterday.
You did, yes.
We can edit it if you want.
Alright.

Something along the lines of

"The US Sonic Heroes manual states that Doctor Eggman is a feminist, though no evidence of this is found in the original Japanese manual".
(06-20-2014, 05:06 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: [ -> ]Alright.

Something along the lines of

"The US Sonic Heroes manual states that Doctor Eggman is a feminist, though no evidence of this is found in the original Japanese manual".

Alright. Though I think it's best we confirm if this is, or not, a mis-translation.
Does that sound ok?
(06-20-2014, 03:37 PM)DidYouKnowGaming Wrote: [ -> ]I explained the situation to a translator and sent it off with the same page from the Japanese manual, and got this back.

Quote:The Japanese manual doesn't say "feminist" in it anywhere. Or anything like it, really. The english one sorta translates it and sorta just does their own thing. The first couple sentences in the English description is a liberal translation of the first paragraph of the Japanese one. Er, here I'll just translate the Japanese for you.

"Just as his name implies, he is an evil genius scientist. He is a genius that boasts an IQ over 300 and he is an authority on robot engineering. While he is called 'An evil genius scientist', that's fundamentally because of his childish personality (?). Anyhow, he loves 'world domination'. An despite having failed many times in the past, he comes up with world domination plans on a grander scale every time! As sonic always gets in his way, they are truly eternal rivals. But somewhere deep in his heart, he does not hate him, it seems, as he also has the trait of going out of his way to send written challenges and such."

So, sorry I can't really help you there. It might just be something the English localization team made up. The Japanese reads very much like Japanese media aimed towards kids reads, which is usually very cheesy when written literally. So the feminist thing might be just them trying to sound a bit more, uh, cool. You're right though about the Japanese word feminist, it sometimes means 'a person who indulges women' but it's not written there, and that's sort of a contextual thing.

So, looks like the localization team added the feminist thing and a few other quirks.

Thanks Kewl0210 for the translation.

Already did.
Pages: 1 2