VGFacts

Full Version: Youtubers are playing E3 games early
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Take a look at these:

Smosh Games play Borderlands pre-sequel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWdqKJeXmy4

Pewds plays The Evil Within: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZpIxiWPjtk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3RwS1wSClw

If anyone has seen others playing games from E3 early for us to check out post them so anyone who has missed them can see.
I am more annoyed by the fact that these people are getting the games early. Not even for review purposes but just in the "Hey, play this game and post every single detail about it online before everyone else has the chance to play it" way.

I don't even bother to pre-order this crap anymore, there doesn't seem to be a point.
It's so they can make the bad games seem good by acting all funny and interested, or pass off bugs and glitches as jokes and say that they'll fix it later.

It's just publicity really, you give someone a free game that isn't out yet, they will play it, record it, and put it on Youtube, they'll get tons of views and the company gets publicity and people will usually buy the game since "my favourite lets player played it, it must be good".

Everybody wins really.
Game Grumps did the same thing with Shovel Knight if I remember correctly.
(07-21-2014, 08:55 AM)Psychospacecow Wrote: [ -> ]Game Grumps did the same thing with Shovel Knight if I remember correctly.

That's not exactly correct. Shovel Knight had a demo that several people who backed it got to play during the kickstarter campaign so they could post it on youtube in an attempt to advertise the game and get more backers.

(07-21-2014, 05:27 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: [ -> ]I am more annoyed by the fact that these people are getting the games early. Not even for review purposes but just in the "Hey, play this game and post every single detail about it online before everyone else has the chance to play it" way.

I don't even bother to pre-order this crap anymore, there doesn't seem to be a point.
Can you explain to me how someone getting to play a game before you do ruins pre-orders? There are two major reasons to have pre-orders, one is for bonuses and the other is to help people buy a game overtime who wouldn't be able to buy it in full otherwise. I don't see how people playing the game early like this ruins, or for that matter, even effects either of those things.
(07-21-2014, 11:24 AM)RepentantSky Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-21-2014, 05:27 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: [ -> ]I am more annoyed by the fact that these people are getting the games early. Not even for review purposes but just in the "Hey, play this game and post every single detail about it online before everyone else has the chance to play it" way.

Can you explain to me how someone getting to play a game before you do ruins pre-orders? There are two major reasons to have pre-orders, one is for bonuses and the other is to help people buy a game overtime who wouldn't be able to buy it in full otherwise. I don't see how people playing the game early like this ruins, or for that matter, even effects either of those things.

Maybe it's worth it in a country where you actually get preorder bonuses and the games are delivered on time. Here you are lucky if you get them on the release day, still usually after and in worst cases, so late you could have just gone to a store and bought it. Then favoritism strikes and popular people get their copies weeks beforehand. After that I just stopped caring.

The main bad part about people playing games so early is that absolutely everything, including the ending, is open for public and I have to dread carefully on the gaming sites I go to for weeks. Just one random comment on an article and boom, ending or a major twist spoiled. This has happened. Then I won't even get the games on time anyway which makes it even more frustrating.
I've never had a problem getting around spoilers, even with games that everyone plays being played before I get to. Avoiding them has never been a problem, I can get all the information I want about a game without spoilers, and I look for information as I run a fanpage so it should be easy for you to do as well.

As for the pre-order problem, that seems to be a problem specific only to your area. It seems like you are attacking, if not at least resenting areas that don't share in this problem. That seems unfair if you ask me.
(07-21-2014, 06:25 PM)RepentantSky Wrote: [ -> ]As for the pre-order problem, that seems to be a problem specific only to your area. It seems like you are attacking, if not at least resenting areas that don't share in this problem. That seems unfair if you ask me.

I... What? I have no such feelings. That's how preordering should be, getting your games on time. I'm hating on my own country and its stupid ways of handling things. We, as in Europe, are getting screwed over super hard with Evil Within, too. They release the game a week early in US, then a few days later in Australia and then there's the bastard child Europe who got their release date 3 days earlier than expected. That being Saturday. This means that if you don't live in a big city area you ain't getting the game any earlier anyway, possibly even later.

What I meant with favoritism is these popular people who get to play the games early just because. Review copies are understandable but this is just irritating.

And as for the spoilers, I have no idea how you manage to get past them so slickly. Even if I stopped using the internet altogether until I got the game there is a high chance I'll get spoiled by one of my friends because they watch these people and can't keep their mouths shut.
The problem is that this is advertising and it's never been stated within the video(yes I sat through a PDP video). It's becoming a big thing lately on YouTube where YouTubers aren't being transparent with their advertising. Makes me wonder how much PDP got paid. A lot I guess.

It's also a misrepresentation of The Evil Within (Shinji Mikami games) since they aren't about the jump scares.

Not gonna lie though, it's good marketing. Like it or not, it is marketing on a much easier and grander scale.
Your Problem *I think*:People playing games early because it ruins pre-order

Pre-Order:Playing Game Early

Play Testing:Playing game very early

Honestly,I think that its good and helps obtain hype,and when they get released,they get more money,and it helps the company *say gearbox in the Borderlands case* make more games,even have the owner/workers live! But Gearbox also needs play testers,now if you saw the DYKG portal video *ok lets face it we all have* they mention one of the beta gels made the play testers disorientated,so valve remove the adhesion gel,so back to Gearbox. Play Testers can report bugs/problems they have and gearbox can remove them. So basically your problem is play testing?
(07-22-2014, 10:49 AM)Tobu_ Wrote: [ -> ]So basically your problem is play testing?

Who are you referring to? Me?

No, my problem is not playtesting. That's what every single gaming company ever has to do. Being a game tester is a job after all. Giving popular people copies just for the hell of it isn't playtesting.

(07-22-2014, 09:09 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: [ -> ]Makes me wonder how much PDP got paid. A lot I guess.

According to Dan from NerdCubed, he has been offered something along the lines of $2,000 for playing a game. After doing it once he has kept declining these offers because he thought it warps his judgement on the games.
(07-22-2014, 10:57 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2014, 10:49 AM)Tobu_ Wrote: [ -> ]So basically your problem is play testing?

No, my problem is not playtesting. That's what every single gaming company ever has to do. Being a game tester is a job after all. Giving popular people copies just for the hell of it isn't playtesting.
They still are probably not completely finished,its like steam with magic 2015 and Gods will be watching,its not finished,yes. But they still allow people to play it,we may not know if gearbox is just giving the games away for no reason but PDP may just be collecting hype for the game,like I mentioned it helps the developers and the games sales.
If they are just testing out the bugs, I'm okay with that. but if its full versions of the game. I'm angry at that.
(07-22-2014, 11:18 AM)Tobu_ Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2014, 10:57 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: [ -> ]

They still are probably not completely finished,its like steam with magic 2015 and Gods will be watching,its not finished,yes. But they still allow people to play it,we may not know if gearbox is just giving the games away for no reason but PDP may just be collecting hype for the game,like I mentioned it helps the developers and the games sales.

Getting alpha and beta keys early is different from getting the actual games early. There's also early access for that.

And getting popularity for games, I can understand that with indie developers but do big AAA devs lack faith in their games so much that they have to go this way? If anything I'm losing faith with the games myself when they have to resort to youtubers.
(07-22-2014, 11:21 AM)CLXcool Wrote: [ -> ]If they are just testing out the bugs, I'm okay with that. but if its full versions of the game. I'm angry at that.

As I said before. This isn't play testing, it's marketing.
Pages: 1 2