VGFacts

Full Version: Do you know the difference between a remake and a remaster?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Because if you don't, I'm gonna educate you. I keep seeing people complain all over the internet how these "HD remakes" are nothing special and barely change the original games. Well, of course they don't! It's not a remake. A remake is a complete rework of a game. What these HD versions are is a reMASTER, not a reMAKE. They are two completely different things and should not be mixed, ever.

Let's look at some popular examples, shall we? Look at Resident Evil (1996) on the original PlayStation. Now look at Resident Evil (2002) on the GameCube. That's a remake. See the difference? Use google or something, I don't care.

Allright, now that that part is out of the way, look at any game released on the PS2 ported to PS3 with "HD" slapped in the title. That's a remaster. It's literally the same game with absolutely nothing changed apart from graphics and maybe some control issues. Look at every last gen game ported to current gen consoles. It's the same game but prettier. It's not a remake, it's a remaster.

In short, if the game was remade from ground up, that's a remake. If it is literally the same game with nothing changed but prettier, that's a remaster. Now, if you ever have, stop saying "HD remake". Thank you.

If you understand all this, congratulations, you're not an idiot.
Nope, I'm an idiot.
Ducktales remastered is a bit of both. Its a remake of the NES game, but at the same time. Its remastering the game by adding things that weren't in the original NES game(e.g explaining why Scrooge was on the treasure hunt, voice acting from the cartoon, 2D character design sprites with 3D backgrounds as well as digitally painted backgrounds inspired by the cartoon of Ducktales, and two levels that weren't in the original game).

On a side note. Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded had the working title of 'Leisure Suit Larry HD' before it was 'reloaded'.
It's the diffrence between DMC and Wind Waker for WiiU. One is a diffrent game from the orignal with a diffrent story, diffrent charicter devlopment, and diffrent world (and no Final Fantasy does not count as a remake) and the other is an updated version of the orignal game with a few tweaks to make the game a little better. and a stupid Selfy mood that everyone else finds SOOOO funny

Also see Prince of Persia for Xbox360 and Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii
(08-08-2014, 10:13 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: [ -> ]Because if you don't, I'm gonna educate you. I keep seeing people complain all over the internet how these "HD remakes" are nothing special and barely change the original games. Well, of course they don't! It's not a remake. A remake is a complete rework of a game. What these HD versions are is a reMASTER, not a reMAKE. They are two completely different things and should not be mixed, ever.

Let's look at some popular examples, shall we? Look at Resident Evil (1996) on the original PlayStation. Now look at Resident Evil (2002) on the GameCube. That's a remake. See the difference? Use google or something, I don't care.

Allright, now that that part is out of the way, look at any game released on the PS2 ported to PS3 with "HD" slapped in the title. That's a remaster. It's literally the same game with absolutely nothing changed apart from graphics and maybe some control issues. Look at every last gen game ported to current gen consoles. It's the same game but prettier. It's not a remake, it's a remaster.

In short, if the game was remade from ground up, that's a remake. If it is literally the same game with nothing changed but prettier, that's a remaster. Now, if you ever have, stop saying "HD remake". Thank you.

Just for this post, you should be admin.
I honestly don't even call most of the new remasters that. I call them ports. Prettier, maybe, but just a port. I really don't like the term "remastered".
(08-08-2014, 10:13 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: [ -> ]Because if you don't, I'm gonna educate you. I keep seeing people complain all over the internet how these "HD remakes" are nothing special and barely change the original games. Well, of course they don't! It's not a remake. A remake is a complete rework of a game. What these HD versions are is a reMASTER, not a reMAKE. They are two completely different things and should not be mixed, ever.

So you're telling me that DayZ isn't a remake of the 1978 cult classic Romero film Dawn of the Dead? Damn.