VGFacts

Full Version: Favorite scary movie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since Halloween is fast approaching, I thought I'd throw this out there and ask what is your favorite scary movie and why you like it.

Mine will always be the classic John Carpenter's Halloween. Just that piano music alone is chilling but then you have that slow stalking of prey type of set up where the victims don't know until it is too late they are in the presence of a monster and they are doomed.

The only other one for me would be Nightmare on Elm Street (the first one). Even thought I liked the campy nature of it later on (although 2 will forever be the worst film I've ever seen in that series) the first one was by far the best just because some of the concepts are just so primal. We all have bad dreams but the thought that there is an entity out there that can not only stalk your nightmares but kill you thus making you die in the waking world. I mean the scene with Freddy stretching his arms out and scraping the walls was always chilling to me. And then saying "This is God" while referring to his claw hand. Throw in the Johnny Depp death scene with the giant pool of blood pouring up the walls out of the bed is still awesome to see. No CGI, just pure practical effects.

This year I even got some good horror films coming before Halloween. I just bought Interview with a Vampire, Bram Stoker's Dracula (with Gary Oldman), Mary Shelley's Frankenstein with Robert DeNiro playing the Creature, and just before Halloween I have Hellsing Ultimate volume 9 & 10 coming. So lots of good movies to watch on one of my favorite holidays.
My favorite would have to be Child's Play,Scream and John Carpenter's The Thing. Child's Play because it was the first ever horror film I witness that was able to give me some nightmares. The Thing because I can't get enough of the musical score. Finally Scream since I can't get enough of the Whodunnit concept.
**I just want to point out you can put in spoilers. Unless the film just came out in the past year, I think it is okay.**

^Childs Play 2 was the first one I saw in that series and creeped me out more than 1 did. It was that factory scene at the end where the guard gets his eye's gouged by the asselby machine and replaced with the plastic doll eyes.
I've... never watched a scary movie...
I'm too chicken >.<
Camp Blood II is my favourite scary movie.

Firstly because it's a student movie that's only about an hour long.

And secondly.. It's not that scary. Just hilarious. And creepy.
The original Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street do it for me as favorites. I find the crossover(Freddy vs Jason) a hit and miss. It had good moments, but it felt like a wasted opportunity.
....Sharknado?
I've been thinking about it, and I'm pretty sure it's Jacob's Ladder.

It's one of those movies where you're like "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!" throughout the entire thing and, since they use the gore/shock segments sparingly, it really gets you when they do show up.
While looking through Netflix I saw they added the film Darkness Falls. For those who've never seen it, it is a ghost story essentially. A woman 150 yrs ago was wrongfully executed, mob style, for the disappearance of two boys. They show up a short time after she was hanged and she has sworn revenge (how dead people can do that I don't know). Also she has supper sensitive skin, the kind that burns and causes a lot of pain when exposed to sunlight. Not vampirish but a real condition that doesn't let you process sunlight real well. So she wore a mask to add to the creepy stuff later.

To make things creepier still she was called the Tooth Fairy because she was the person who gave kids candies or coins for their baby teeth. So now she hunts kids who lose their teeth as her revenge.

Sounds cliche and hooky and it kind of is. Despite the PG-13 rating it had some good disturbing moments. The best ones for me was at the start of the movie and the middle-end of the movie. The first one was when she hunts for the main character as a young boy. He manages to hide in his bathroom from her with the light on all night, and they pan away from him in the bathroom to outside the door with her just hovering over as this wraith like shadow just waiting for her prey to pounce.

The other was her about to hill this cop.

I should also point out one more rule with her, it isn't just enough that she hunts you after you loose your teeth you actually have to look at her, see her before she can kill you. This is key to how they survived.

So the cop is out side under a tree, hears a noise and looks up and there she is just hovering in the branches and all you can make out for certain is the porcelain mask she wears just before she drops and you see parts of her eyes as it descends towards the camera.

I swear I hid under my covers every night for a week thinking that crazy bitch was gonna get me. I was a little kid sure and didn't know any better but sometimes that is when you know it is a good movie when you actually think just the watching of it, bearing witness can make the monsters come after you. Probably how The Ring got its idea.
Can tv movies count? If they can. Then how many of you have seen the 70s tv movie of The Picture of Dorian Gray that was produced by Dan Curtis(Dark Shadows)? Even though I haven't read the book, I'd say the tv movie is spot on perfect to matching the book. I heard that they made a 2009 film of Dorian gray, but I haven't seen it since. Read that it had mixed reviews(some of which were negative).
Have you guys seen Wrong Turn 2?

Easily one of my favorites, The beginning sequence was cool and quite scary and the death of the militant dude was give me goosebumps.
(10-19-2014, 08:39 PM)Berry Wrote: [ -> ]Have you guys seen Wrong Turn 2?

Easily one of my favorites, The beginning sequence was cool and quite scary and the death of the militant dude was give me goosebumps.

Dude. I cannot handle films like that. I slept with the lights on for a few nights after seeing one of those movies. 
(10-19-2014, 07:21 PM)CLXcool Wrote: [ -> ]Can tv movies count? If they can. Then how many of you have seen the 70s tv movie of The Picture of Dorian Gray that was produced by Dan Curtis(Dark Shadows)? Even though I haven't read the book, I'd say the tv movie is spot on perfect to matching the book. I heard that they made a 2009 film of Dorian gray, but I haven't seen it since. Read that it had mixed reviews(some of which were negative).

TV movies count. Else no one can mention Stephen King's IT with Tim Curry as Pennywise the Clown.
The Puppet Master movies. A few of them are really silly, but having a mix between stop motion and pratical effects make them really cool to watch. Just keep away from the last 4 movies due to them being a clip show, a bad Christmas movie, and two bad movies (in that order).

Wishmaster. An evil dijnn (AKA "Genie") is unleashed onto the world to make it a living hell by releasing his fellow dijnn after granting the person who released him three wishes. A simple plot made creepy by a being who can do basically anything he wants. Watching the first 7 mintes of the first movie and you know what your getting yourself into. Watch the first two and I hear you can skip the 3rd and 4th due to them being not as good (haven't seen them).

Hollow Man. This was both my first scarry movie and my introduction to Kevin Bacon. Is it nostalgia that makes me see it as a good film, being scard as a child when I watched it when I was 8, or is it really that good? I'm going to say yes.

Honorable Mention

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. I don't like any of these movies, and yet I own 3 copys of the first movie (I'm not sure how that happened). It's made a bout load of money so it must be doing something right.

The Butterfly Effect. I find it scary and I like it, but I'm not sure if it's really right for this thread.

EDIT: Gamewizard's signature reminded me of another favorite.

Hellraiser. Holly Shit! A good number of these movies scared me. The first was the best and the creepyist.
Well this may have been a TV movie it was till a movie and now will be made into a 2 part film, Stephen King's IT is gonna start filming next year summer time and they even got Stephen King himself to sign off on it, gave his blessing.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/12/feature-a...-fukunaga/
Pages: 1 2