VGFacts

Full Version: Should Nintendo make short films?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/daily-d...E_7o_nF98E

I say yes to the matter. After all. It would be sweet to see a short cartoon of Mario from Nintendo officially. 
I need something like the Palutena trailer! It was very cool.
I mean, technically they already have. The Punch-Out for Wii commercial, and the American Majora's Mask commercial are essentially short 2-minute movies.  I would to see animated or even more live action 5-10 minute movies.

I don't know, it seems like a waste of their time, unless they were going to do them for the Nintendo Video app on the 3DS.

I wouldn't mind it though, as long as we got some actual good shorts, not just some generic comedy based stuff like Mario trying to find a Mushroom and goes through some silly event to get to it, or Link and the fact he doesn't talk having something to do with a joke.
Why would they? People actively do it for them for free and whenever they need one for an event, they go through a third party.
I say why not, but only if it's to promote an upcoming game/event. Just think of a 15 min movie about all the characters in smash dukeing it out to promote a Smash tournament or one about a quiet day on [Pikimin Planet Name] for the relese of Pikimin 4: Electric Pikigaloo.
I don't see why not. Nintendo have made some very creative works of art from games like Wind Waker. Even the adverts of Four Swords adventure fits a short film

I think Nintendo could easily pull it off. They already have cartoons based on established games and there's plenty of good fan videos out there so yeah. I'd watch .
They should have a lot of media out there to help promote the games.
We've established two things about Nintendo:
1. They're creative as hell with commercials
2. They're horrible as f*ck with television shows.

I'm pretty happy with where they are now, and weirdly enough, if they did want to branch out into some animated stuff, I'd really like to see what they can do with lesser-known characters. Instead of coasting on Link or Mario's laurels, for example, they could have a series about Mr. Game & Watch's day to day life in Flat Land or see how Villager is coping with the recent economic downturn.
(10-30-2014, 11:07 PM)Arjahn Wrote: [ -> ]We've established two things about Nintendo:

I'm pretty happy with where they are now, and weirdly enough, if they did want to branch out into some animated stuff, I'd really like to see what they can do with lesser-known characters. Instead of coasting on Link or Mario's laurels, for example, they could have a series about Mr. Game & Watch's day to day life in Flat Land or see how Villager is coping with the recent economic downturn.

You know things are going poorly when Tom Nook is going into deficit.
(10-30-2014, 11:07 PM)Arjahn Wrote: [ -> ]We've established two things about Nintendo:

I hear Kirby of the Stars was a good show when you de-4kids it.

Alright. Let me correct you on the second one. For the record. Nintendo had NOTHING to do with the Mario and Legend of Zelda cartoons. They choose poorly when giving the approval to the cheaply tv animation company DIC(of all places) to make animated shows based off of Nintendo's video games. Nintendo's commercials are very creative. So its puzzling to me why they can't go beyond from doing commercials if they don't want anyone else 'ruining' their series. I've always believed that Nintendo should have opened up a studio for things outside of ads. 

The only cartoons I think they ever took part of in terms of development were Pokemon and Kirby. 
Sooo, nobody saw the Pikmn short movies? I was going to "torrent" them but... I will buy it I think, 5€ errr, I thought it was free! Oh well, I am really into Pikmin 3 when I have the time...

Edit: Saw them. It was fun. 5€/$ is still a little "expensive" for that so I hope Nintendo will think about something else next time, if there is a next time (please) ! The fact that I can download it on both the Wii U and 3DS is very stupid though.
(11-04-2014, 01:34 PM)CLXcool Wrote: [ -> ]

Alright. Let me correct you on the second one. For the record. Nintendo had NOTHING to do with the Mario and Legend of Zelda cartoons. They choose poorly when giving the approval to the cheaply tv animation company DIC(of all places) to make animated shows based off of Nintendo's video games. Nintendo's commercials are very creative. So its puzzling to me why they can't go beyond from doing commercials if they don't want anyone else 'ruining' their series. I've always believed that Nintendo should have opened up a studio for things outside of ads. 

The only cartoons I think they ever took part of in terms of development were Pokemon and Kirby. 

Thanks for the correction, I never got too into the cartoons for obvious reasons, the Pokemon and Kirby cartoons were/are pretty meh in my opinion. I just feel like most of their established characters could easily slip back into those cheap, generic, "escapade of the week" formulas. I'd definitely like to see them dedicate a ton of talent and resources to making a solid, entertaining show, but it feels more like they'd go with the 4kids route at this point. 
I couldn't get into the Pokemon anime when growing up surprisingly. The creator of Kirby(Masahiro Sakurai) helped out on developing the anime Hoshi no Kirby(I will admit that its Japanese version intro is catchy). The english dub had its moments, but some of the censorship on it wasn't called for. But thats a different topic for another day.

Japan has a ton of animation studios. So chances are Nintendo would only work with a studio that can deliver with quality. I mean. Who was in charge of the animated segments for Smash Bros Wii U/3DS for this year's E3? Whoever was in charge of that seemed to have a pretty good idea how Smash bros worked out. Nintendo is just very concerned about handing the rights to their games, they don't want a big 'screw up' to happen thanks to whatever got adapted for the big screen. Why do you think we never had another Mario movie after the movie that came out in the 90s? The same thing can be said for Zelda, Metriod, and hell even including animated series. Although. Kirby managed to get his own show that was outside of the Pokemon anime. I know the late Imagi animation studio pitched a Zelda movie back sometime in 2006-07 but that was rejected by Nintendo. I heard there were rumors/talk about a live-action Metriod movie but that hasn't gone anywhere.

I think Nintendo is just wanting to find the right place to do justice to adapting the games for entertainment. I know I'd like to see a Mario anime and an anime of Legend of Zelda in the right hands personally.