VGFacts

Full Version: Favorite franchises
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since we have threads for favorite games and movies and whatnot, I thought I'd ask you what's your favorite franchise in general. It doesn't matter if it's comics, movies, games or anything in between as long as it's something that can be called a franchise. I personally have many I like, since I'm the kind of person who has to read, watch and play everything related to a thing I'm interested in but I'm just gonna go with my 4 biggest interests, in no particular order.

Marvel in general, but especially Deadpool. I've bought or seen pretty much every single Marvel live-action film since the first Blade in 98 and bought a bunch of comics. Mostly Deadpool. Do you have any idea how many series there are!? I need to focus on something! Oh yeah and animations, I've seen some of those too.

Anything and everything related to Resident Evil. Even the live-action movies, though I think I might have to draw a line to the TV series based on those if it ever comes to fruition. I prefer to have everything as actual physical copies too, even if it means I have to pay a lot and ship them from far away. If I ever get the money I might even buy the super expensive Chinese comic series.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Including the Equestria Girls spinoff. I'm only into the new show though, as is propably the case with most of the older fans of the series. I did watch the original 80s cartoon when I was a kid but back then I watched practically anything that was animated and dubbed in Finnish. I have no idea why but this series just draws me in and the comics are absolutely amazing.

Evil Dead, followed by Army of Darkness. It's amazing how the comic series is still going after so many years. I have all the movies, including the weird My Name is Bruce and the Evil Dead reboot (which was a really good film), and most of the Army of Darkness comic series as two Omnibus Editions and the AoD vs. Marvel Zombies collected edition. Ashley J. Williams, never stop being awesome.
Video Games:
Sly Cooper
Assassin's Creed
Prince of Persia
Dead or Alive
Kingdom Hearts
Mega Man
like 3 or 4 others

Sly Cooper, Prince of Persia, and Mega Man are my favrate out of all of these. I started out not likeing Sly that much, but as I played the first one I got sucked in. PoP and MM were late arivels (haveing started at Sands of Time in 2012 or so and Battle Network 3 somewhere in high school), and I only bought the originals just to see how the series evolved.

Shows:
Power Rangers/Super Sentai
Walking Dead

I love the Power Rangers but I need to catch up on what I have missed past SPD (which is really bad and the reason I stopped watching after I got too old). The games and Linkara's History of Power Rangers are what bought me back to liking them. I've even started watching the original Super Sentai when I can find the episodes. I've seen the first few episodes of Samurai and I really wish that is not the best we get now.

Movies:
Saw
Nightmare Before Christmas
Nightmare on Elm Street
Saw is over bloody and Elm Street is beyond stupid when you get to parts 4 and 5, but thats why I love those movies. I'm not sure if you can count Nightmare Before Christmas as a franchise, but it really looks like it to me.
Metal Gear Solid is my all time favorite franchise, started playing when I was young and was just intrigued about everything about. Currently collecting all the games and once I started making a budget I could continue my collection. I think I have nothing to dislike about this franchise.

Yu-Gi-Oh is another franchise I loved since I was a young child. Watched the show as kid and started collecting when the cards first came to Canada. My dad bought me pack every week and I have binders and binders full of cards. I currently keep my rarest and most prized cards up in a frame. Even the games are amazing themselves with Duelist of Roses being one of my all time favorite games in the world.

Marvel and DC. Marvel when I was younger because my dad loves Marvel, especially Wolverine and Sabertooth so as a kid I loved everything with Marvel but recently in my teen years I took an interest with DC and my favorites include Batman and Deathstroke.

Even though I only played the games last summer I adore the Persona series and love everything about it. I currently own most of them, watched the animes and currently looking for the mangas. Plus Tohru Adachi is my favorite fictional character ever.
[Image: star_trek_badge_logo__59716.jpg]
It's really just the Shin Megami Tensei related games. They're the only games where, even though they're cash cows, there's actually a lot of thought care put into each game. Persona 4: Golden was a spectacular re-release and I appreciate all the little extras they put in to make the purchase worth it.

Touch Detective! I so hope the third game gets released in the US! I want it so bad! It's such a cute series and the art style just adds to it.

Other than that, I've always ended up getting put off because they make a mistake that just ruins the franchise for me. I used to be a huge Phoenix Wright nut, but Apollo Justice was beyond horrible, then they didn't release Ace Attorney Investigations 2, and the final nail in the coffin was making the latest game download only. Now I don't care anymore.
(11-03-2014, 02:13 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: [ -> ]Other than that, I've always ended up getting put off because they make a mistake that just ruins the franchise for me. I used to be a huge Phoenix Wright nut, but Apollo Justice was beyond horrible, then they didn't release Ace Attorney Investigations 2, and the final nail in the coffin was making the latest game download only. Now I don't care anymore.

Every franchise has it's ups and downs. Resident Evil has RE6, Halloween has everything that is not 1, 2 or H20, and Star Wars has most of it's franchise (which is mostly non-canon now). I think if everyone gave up on a frantise after a few missteps, no one would like any thing. However that is up to you for what you do and don't like and I can see why your not a fan of a few things.

The Ace Attorney example I can see you no longer liking, as Capcom has done everything in it's power to make one time fans hate everything about it.
My favorite franchises would have to be Friendship is magic. I like the fact that its appealing to a new audience, but at the same time it takes something that was known for being 'too sweet' for anyone but it reworked it into something that everyone can watch. The only downside is that there are a ton of freakazoids out there who can give the show a bad rep in terms of fan clubbing that it makes the looney fans of Sonic and Final Fantasy look like saints. I got mixed feelings for the whole equestria girls spin-off. I still find it a little ironic that it happened mainly because the fans of the show drew humanized versions of the characters. I've seen better designs for the humanized versions of the characters that aren't looking like copy and paste lookalikes from the Monster high and Bratz series. I did enjoy the music in Rainbow Rocks and the fact that there was more character dept to Sunset shimmer.

Even though it ended on a sad note. I did enjoy Boardwalk Empire. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed seeing a show that captured the past of the 1930s perfectly with good acting and good writing. Its a shame that the 5th season had to be the last. I love the music from the series. Margot Binghman's covers of old jazz songs fits in right at home with the style of the past. 
Film Franchise:

Wesley Snipe Blade series
Aliens
Predator( the one I didn't enjoy was Robert Rodriguez one)
Planet of The Apes

There is more but can't remember at the moment

Tv Series:

The Wire(currently watching so no spoilers, you mofo's)
X-Men 90's
Breaking Bad
The Office
Parks and Rec
Cops

Comics:

Daredevil
X-Men
Punisher
Batman
Suicide Squad
So many! The most obvious would be
-The Walking Dead
-The Legend of Zelda
-Nintendo
-George A. Romero zombie films
(11-05-2014, 11:54 AM)Beware of Cuccos Wrote: [ -> ]-The Walking Dead
-George A. Romero zombie films

(11-03-2014, 01:05 PM)gamemaster1991 Wrote: [ -> ]Walking Dead

I knew I had to forget something when I was writing that. Though, as is the case with most things I like, I've taken my liking to those things maybe a tad overboard.

So to say, The Dead series is also among my favorites. This includes unofficial spinoffs and sequels, remakes, comics and related fiction in general. Just about anything that has "of the Dead" in the title I have to get. I know there's also the whole Living Dead franchise that born from the original film but I'm more into the derivations of Romero's work. I like to think (in my own little headcanon) that all these works are either "meanwhile, somewhere else" situations (Shaun of the Dead, Highschool of the Dead) or different continuities in the same universe (Walking Dead, Day of the Dead 2, Zombi 2). Yes, I count Walking Dead as part of this on the grounds that it was born from a concept to make a Night of the Living Dead comic adaptation.

(11-03-2014, 04:23 PM)CLXcool Wrote: [ -> ]I got mixed feelings for the whole equestria girls spin-off. I still find it a little ironic that it happened mainly because the fans of the show drew humanized versions of the characters. I've seen better designs for the humanized versions of the characters that aren't looking like copy and paste lookalikes from the Monster high and Bratz series. I did enjoy the music in Rainbow Rocks and the fact that there was more character dept to Sunset shimmer.

Have you read the comics? There was interesting backstory to the first EQG movie in the 2013 Annual issue.

Had to order the 2013 and 2014 issues from the States, they don't sell them in here. Grumble grumble...