VGFacts

Full Version: The Trivia Discussion button sometimes says new things there where there's not
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Its really very minor, but if anyone who can screw with the site code is bored, the trivia discussion button sometimes says there is new stuff when there isn't. Does this happen to anyone else?
Are you sure there's nothing new in the two sub forums? The root forum shows new content until all sub forums are cleared too. Additionally, the root forum won't clear until you visit its thread listing after viewing all threads in its sub forums. This is a known limitation of the software and not something we can fix without unnecessary impact on the server.
Yes, I actually made sure about that because its been happening since the update and I was wondering if it was a glitch.
It could be a glitch in the software but it's not something I can fix. As a rule, I try to avoid any code changes to the forum software given how complex it is. So, even if I knew how to fix that one particular issue, it likely wouldn't be worth attempting given the risk of breaking other things in the process. You can always just click on the icon to mark it as read though. Not optimal, I know, but it's a stop-gap for now at least.
Alright. That's honestly what I was expecting because it really is more or less a non-issue. I was mainly curious if it was just me and if it was something really easy.
I haven't seen it yet but I'll keep an eye out. I doubt it's just you but I'll let you know either way. Regardless, reports like these are always appreciated, minor issue or not.
I've had it happen, also. So, spacecow isn't psycho. If there's a new comment in trivia evidence (as there hasn't been any disputes lately), you can click it, check it out and then hit VGFacts and trivia discussion remains with bold letters. But, like you said Petie, I've just clicked it and marked it as read.
Well what you've just described is a known issue, not a glitch so to speak. The Trivia Discussion forum won't clear its unread status until you view the actual thread list for the forum itself, even if there were only unread messages in one of the sub-forums. If you click back into the Trivia Discussion forum instead of going straight back to the forum home page, it should clear the unread status for the board.

There is a setting to try to make that an automatic process but it's experimental and comes with a performance hit so I left it off.
Well, at least it isn't an anomaly.
(11-09-2014, 01:54 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: [ -> ]Well, at least it isn't an anomaly.

Nice word use. Anomaly.
learned it from a show about dinosaurs and apocalypse humans in normal Britain.