VGFacts

Full Version: Things You Dislike
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So we're currently considering some changes to the site, and while we work these out, we're curious as to what it is that you dislike on this site and you feel could be improved to the overall design.

Of course we expect a lot of you to say you dislike the delay in approving of trivia, etc. - but this isn't our current concern. We are attempting to reinvigorate the site's fresh image and renovate based on changes we've made over time, adding and removing stuff, where the design hasn't kept up.

We're working to improve the site, and in doing so, are looking at alternative funding methods. We are considering opening up donations through a system such as Patreon, for example. We feel ads are detremental to the site and that the community will likely agree with us on this.

But ignore that for now - what designs on the site do you dislike? What features would you like to see? We've got a few surprises up our sleeve, but for now, let's hear what you have to say! :)
I'd like to see a more mobile friendly main site. I know that's asking a lot, though.

Maybe have it to where a game could be tagged with multiple series? Like, there are so many variants of Mario games and some sub-series within them like the Yoshi and Donkey Kong games that they might as well have both for organization.
I don't know if I missed the memo or something, but I don't like how on a thread it only displays one post at a time, unless you click Linear Mode. I want a way to make that default and if there is a way already, then I apologize.
That's uh... that is the default. I think you've messed with your options on that one:
http://www.vgfacts.com/forums/usercp.php?action=options

On the right, under "thread view mode:" you want to have linear...
Thanks for that, Dazz. I didn't realize that. My bad.
(12-11-2014, 05:18 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to see a more mobile friendly main site. I know that's asking a lot, though.

Maybe have it to where a game could be tagged with multiple series? Like, there are so many variants of Mario games and some sub-series within them like the Yoshi and Donkey Kong games that they might as well have both for organization.

A mobile friendly site is on the table. We just haven't finalized plans for it yet.

As for multiple series on a single game, this was discussed early on but decided against given how infrequently it's an issue compared to the vast majority of content on the site. It would needlessly complicate everything to solve what really isn't even a problem to begin with.
Alright, I can accept that.
I would love to have a standard reply, similar to the one for accepted/dismissed trivia, for top 5 video suggestions. I haven't been able to watch any of the new ones yet with this crummy rainforest internet, so I don't even know which have been uploaded.
Something else that would be cool with the videos is if we had open auditions for voicing just a few top five videos (under the assumption if a member did pass and read for one of these videos, their identity would remain hidden.)
Donations is something I can totally go for, as long as users you donate don't get over the top special treatment.
I know that we all say the trivia takes too long, but maybe allowing users who have a large body of accepted trivia help with the trivia would help it go quicker.

Essentially, all I'm suggesting us greater opportunities for site users to assist the site. Take it as a simple suggestion. Sorry about the how poorly it is written as this was all from my phone.
In terms of voice acting for videos, we have to remain very selective in this process. You've all seen criticism we've received for even just having tigerlily voice videos - and she's a member of staff. Open the flood gates to a community of people that aren't already hugely established YouTube artists, and the floods of negative feedback would be immense.

This by no means is me saying "you guys couldn't do it you all suck", but rather, we wouldn't want to subject anybody to the hurtful comments that would ensue from the YouTube community. We also use cross promotion for our videos to give them more exposure, something the helps us get more visitors. We keep everything in-house, and we get no additional exposure.

I wouldn't mind considering opening up video suggestions to be more of a systematic operation, but you have to remember that this is a set of videos that I am personally taking on. This isn't a site wide operation, and I have been editing these in the entirety.

In terms of letting people with large bodies of accepted trivia help, a lot of the top contributors have their submissions edited frequently by staff to make them abide by standards. A lot of them also frequently have rejections because of various reasons. We allow these users to contribute to the maintaining of the database and we have no idea what would be let through!

Again, no insult to anyone, but I have a personally high standard for approved trivia, and edit things frequently even if mistakes are only minor.
I don't know if it's possible, or realted to the question (since it's about the layout of the site, not the forum in general) but would it be possible to add two types of spoilers?

The one we already have is great, but I'd really like one that is just a black bar over the words that you can highlight/select to see what's under it. Since my main problem is that
It would specifically be for text, as the other spoiler would be used for pictures and such.
Black bar spoilers already exist. Just use [ blackout]Whatever[ /blackout] Spoiler:without the spaces, of course for the effect you want.
Spoiler:you mean like this?

Code:
[blackout]you mean like this?[/blackout]

edit: ninja'd by a Petie!
the hell

when did this happen

why did NO ONE use this beforehand

what the hell guys.

Nah, nah you just added this recently to fuck with me right?

RIGHT!

Spoiler:Regardless, thank you for telling me these existed. I've hated using the large spoiler for text and this is really good, so thank you.
It's been around for quite a while actually. Since the beginning in some form but a little more recently in its current form.
I think another tag should be added, it should be #KonamiCode. Just recently I went searching for Konami code references and it would have been a lot better if there was a tag for easy searching because lots of games have Konami code references. Also I gotta agree with Cosmyk, I want to be more involved and help out this great community, even if it was a donation button I would be more than happy to donate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4