VGFacts

Full Version: I have two sets of program files when I don't have a 64 bit system.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, so I know this may seem like a straight forward question but I want to just ask here to be on the safe side just in case it IS a straight forward question.

So, last year I bought an AMD graphics card and had it installed. For some reason my brother told me that my windows needed to be reinstalled and created a backup for everything, he moved all my files onto his computer, and then reinstalled windows and moved the files back.

Now, for a while now I haven't questioned why I have two sets of program files since it never mattered to me, but upon finding out I had less than 28mb left on my 931gb drive I had to clean some stuff up.

My computer used to be a 64bit system, but for some reason it seems to have become a 32bit system and I'm not sure why. Apparently my brother told me that my computer is using half of it's ram for one reason or another and because of this it can't be a 64 bit system or something along those lines.

Anyhow, since he moved the files back I now have two program files. One set of them (the x86 files) don't seem to do anything and take up 208gb of space on my computer. Files are saved on the Program Files section of my computer, and when I try to run 64bit files, I'm told my computer is not 64 bit and I need the 32 bit files instead.

So I'm wondering is it okay to just delete the whole file, or should I go through each file individually and see what may be important for my computer?

I mean, since my computer isn't a 64 bit system, I should have no need for the x86 files right? They should be okay to delete?

TL;DR: Should I delete the x86 program files since I have a 32bit system and all my stuff seems to be saved on the original Program Files folder?

Thanks in advance.
I don't know what your brother did for sure but it sounds like he copied the hard drive, not just your user folder, when backing up your files. While annoying, the best course of action in this case would be to back up the files you need (documents, pictures, music, videos, etc.), wipe the hard drive, and reinstall with a 64-bit edition of Windows because you're wasting resources running a 32-bit OS.