VGFacts

Full Version: Globetrotter 2 - Unused sound files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After finding the data for the three fully programmed unused cities in Globetrotter 2's files, I managed to find more evidence of unused locations within the game's folder for music and sound effects.

[ Globetrotter 2/DATA/SND.zip/trivia ]

Within the files, each city has a code number from 0 to 70 (with 0 corresponding to common files for each in-game location). I'm putting this list in a spoiler tag, since it is rather long, but there are a few numbers skipped for reasons unknown.

Green denotes locations used in the final game and red for unused locations or blank spots in the sound database.

My only guess here is that these may have been composed for cities that did not make it into the programming phase or are unused earlier versions of the sound files used in the final product.
For those curious, this is what the interior of [ Globetrotter 2/DATA/SND.zip/trivia ] looks like.

[Image: yy2iwIA.jpg]
I think I may have figured this out, actually!
These unused sounds and city numbers are from the original Globetrotter!
Both games were released within 9 months of each other (the original was released in 2000 and the sequel in 2001), so perhaps they shared the same database for city data, since both games appear to run on the same setup.

The city data for the original Globetrotter only goes up to 40, which explains the blank space between values 40 and 50 in Globetrotter 2's data, as well as why values 50 - 70 are all new locations.

These unused sound files?
They're leftover data from the original game! The sequel was built within the original game's files, most likely, so they updated the files for the cities returning from the original, yet curiously left behind the "trivia correct" sound effects from the cities that were not reused.

What a find!