VGFacts

Full Version: Speaker of Parliament of Finland talks about games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I asked Mass to translate this article that was on the fallout subreddit.
Its about Maria Lohela, Finland's speaker of the house of Parliament talking about games.
Putting this here for now, but its not immediately obvious how much can be gleaned from it.
He told me its an interesting read though, so there's that.

http://www.retrolordi.com/2015/09/puhemi...rissa.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comment...inland_is/
Aaand here you go. It is an interesting article, sure, if only for seeing someone of high political ranking speak about gaming.

The Speaker of Finnish Parliament enjoys spending time with role-playing games - Interviewing Maria Lohela

It's time for the last interview of the fall. This time speaking about their gaming hobby is a person who at first glance you wouldn’t believe to be an avid gamer. Nonetheless, it’s true: the Speaker of the Finnish Parliament Maria Lohela has told to the public about her gaming ways. This speaks loudly for how times have changed and how gaming has become more acceptable since the times of Riitta Uosukainen or Paavo Lipponen.

It should be obvious that when the Speaker of Parliament mentions gaming as an important hobby in her life, it would be interesting to hear more. And conveniently, Madam Speaker agreed to answer a few questions about her gaming habits.

Speaker of the Parliament, Maria Lohela, it is much appreciated you could find time for this interview. How has your fall been?

The fall in the parliament is a very busy time. As the speaker I watch and listen to daily politics from the outside, but obviously it is very interesting to follow the dialogue and atmosphere in media and the parliament. This is my first fall as the speaker, so every day I come across new and interesting things. I’m very devoted to my job.

How does gaming fit in with being the Speaker of the Parliament? You must be very busy – do you still have enough time for video games?

Since I only play solo I can play whenever I have the time. There’s not as much as there used to be! If I happen to have a day off and I’m in the mood for gaming I could easily play around the clock. Once the rainy fall days are here I’m sure an opportunity like that will present itself.

You must be the first speaker who has told to the public about being a passionate gamer. What kind of comments have you gotten regarding your hobby?

None of my friends or closest co-workers are gamers. I know a few men who play video games but not really any women. Because of this I don’t really get to talk about games.  I follow a few internet forums and gaming sites so I can keep updated about the business and upcoming games.

When you have the time to grab a controller, what kind of games do you preferably play? Do you prefer consoles or computers? What about mobile games?

I play solely on consoles. I have all the PlayStation consoles. A while ago I plugged my PS2 to my television to play some older games but the console didn’t work. What a shame!  Right now I play mainly on the PS4 I bought as a birthday present for myself on my 36th birthday. Sometimes I play on my PS3, too. On my iPad I have a few puzzle and skill based games. I prefer to play RPGs, action adventures, and I also like platformers. LittleBigPlanets are really beautiful.

Do you usually play alone or do you like multiplayers? Do you perhaps play with your spouse or your friends?

I don’t play multiplayer games at all. I couldn’t even if I wanted to, since for the past few years my schedules have been so busy I couldn’t play like you should in a group or commit to agreed game sessions. In a group I’ve played Guiter Hero, however, which was a really fun party game. Now the guitars and drums are gathering dust in my closet. There’s a time for everything.

What kind of a game collection do you have?

There’s a few dozen I’ve accumulated over the years. Some I’ve bought and some I’ve downloaded digitally. I have multiple games from quite a few series but also a lot of single releases.

What games have you played lately? You can also tell what you thought about them.

I’ve played Witcher 3 the most, though I still haven’t finished it due to how extensive it is. A lot of my time playing games goes to checking every nook and cranny, so the main story progresses on its own weight or when I get bored of running around. Witcher also has this touching tranquility and appreciation of nature, so it’s an easy game to enjoy just for the visual side of things.

Another game I haven’t finished is Assassin’s Creed Unity, even though it’s been quite a while since it released. It may be just me but it somehow feels like the controls just suck, there’s too much going on on the screen and playing it just feels so arduous and I can’t really get anywhere in it. Despite this the series is still one of my favourites, so I will be buying Syndicate when it releases this fall.

Last winter, after having read Dome’s review of it, I bought Lego The Hobbit and it was just as cute, easy and entertaining as I thought it would be. With all of its humour it was the perfect way to relax. Jurassic World on the other hand is a bit too childish, though I’ve still played it since it is so easy: easy to start, easy to play and easy to quit.

What are your all time favorite games? The ones that you will not be bored of even after the tenth playthrough - are there any? How about your favorite genre? Action, adventure, or something else?

Skyrim was really nice. The Final Fantasy series was a lot of fun for me. The newer ones have been left on the store shelf because of the focus on online multiplayer. Assassin's Creed, which I mentioned earlier, is my biggest favorite. I rarely play any game multiple times; instead, I choose games based on how much time I can spend on it. I read reviews before buying, and if the duration of the game is barely 10 hours, I likely won't get it unless it's a very big name. I have liked the Silent Hill games. I'm waiting for the next Fallout a lot. You can see that I can't really name one game over everything else.

A classic question: if you were left on a deserted island and you could choose only one game to take with you, what would it be? Why specifically that, what makes it special?

It would be Witcher 3, since it has so much content and an expansion coming up.

What is your gaming history – when did you start? Have you been a gamer since childhood? What did you play your games on and what were your favourite games? Did you have a Nintendo or any other classic system of the time?

My first computer was an Amiga and I played a lot of Giana Sisters and Populous on it. Of course there were others, since we enthusiastically copied each other’s games with my friends. Later I remember playing Doom, but that didn’t really interest me. I haven’t liked games of that genre later on, either. We didn’t have a Nintendo. My first console was a PS1.

Do you have any especially good memories regarding gaming? Perhaps an achievement you are still proud of?

For some reason I still remember a wintery Saturday night during college. I had been playing Silent Hill the whole day and it was so exciting and immersive I didn’t even want to go partying with my friends, though I eventually had to when they came to get me. I continued playing when I got home in the night. I still play games with the same enthusiasm. Sometimes, when I’m in the middle of a good game, I wouldn’t want to lay down my controller, no matter where I was supposed to be going.

How do you see the development of game industry and what do you think of the Finnish industry?

I wish for good success for Finnish game industry. Courage, creativity and hard work is needed. We also need political decisions that would help the companies grow and develop.

I would like to thank you once more for your time and that you could unravel your gaming hobby for our readers.
Awesome job and many thanks Mass.