VGFacts

Full Version: Scariest thing in a non-horror game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another very halloweeny thread from me. The question is simple: What are the scariest things you've seen in a game that was not in any way a horror game?

I have two that I can remember off the top of my head. Max Payne's nightmare in Max Payne 2 is one, and I remember that I really, REALLY, did not want to play through the bloody hallways of a disoriented nightmare hospital. The second one is probably the most common one for anyone who has ever played the original Pokémon games, Lavender Town. The music, the atmosphere, the stench of death in the air and on top of that a huge graveyard with some creepy, literal ghosts roaming around. Not something you'd expect from such a happy game.

In fact, Lavender Town theme is now this thread's official tune.
The Karazhan Crypts in World of Warcraft are pretty unsettling, though you have to glitch to get to them.

Lots of folks who died gruesome deaths and were thrown into the piles of bones, were tied up to weights and thrown into the water, etc.
Back when Minecraft was still in its early days, I installed a wild animals mod I found online that seemed pretty neat. It added fifty something animals, including wild horses you could tame which, at the time, sounded great because there wasn't any way to get around faster than walking. I built my ramshackled house and went about trying to find horses, and I did, but evidently there was a bug preventing me from equipping them with a saddle needed to ride. After about an hour of fiddling around with mod files and checking the forums, I got salty and decided to just kill the horse.

That horse didn't go down easily. I ended up placing some TNT, which was notably buggy at the time, and blew the horse stables I built to smithereens. The horse died and its corpse fell into the new pit in the ground, but for some reason, it didn't despawn. It then proceeded to glow with a weird texture-layered red thing, like when you hit something in the game, but it never faded. Then the corpse proceeded to, and I'm not making this up, follow me the fuck around everywhere. It didn't have any animation or sound effects, just whenever I went anywhere this glitchy ass horse corpse would chase me half-noclipped through the ground. I didn't even try restarting, just NOPEd the hell out of that save and never looked back.

So that scared the shit out of me when I was fourteen.
The endless stairs of Mario 64....The music makes it even creepier.

I still remember it quite well.

It was 11pm. I was too tired but I wanted to finish MGS2. I had the light off, headphones on and the only light was coming from my monitor.

I was running around Arsenal Gear as Raiden, naked and confused what to do next. The eerie music didn't help to comfort me at this time it was just making me feel confused and slightly spooked.

I ran up the stairs and Colonel gave me a call, and it all just became scarier from there.

Now at 11pm or whenever I was playing this it just scared the shit out of me. It was the first game in a while to do that to me so it really stuck. I was legit scared, turned the lights on and everything while I progressed through the game. It didn't get better from there either. Colonel keeps calling you and acting weird, sometimes his face would turn to a skull for a brief period of time and he'd continue to act weird. Plus you had "Fission Mailed" coming up every second or so.

Also. The SA-X.

If Metroid Fusion doesn't count as "horror".
That damn demon piano in Mario 64 and Dead Hand from Zelda OoT. That's a low blow even for Mario and Zelda.

When me and my sister use to rent games, we played though Sly Cooper. The farthest she got was the first part of Mz. Ruby's world. The reason for that was becuse of "Lair of the Beast." She noped so hard after seeing the reeds move, she refuses to play the game any more.

Last but not lest, Scarfy from most Kirby games. Being cute until you toutch/try to inhale them is scary enough, but they are in most, if not ALL of the games. There also another one (that I forgot what it's name is) that works like Scarfy but for your animal pals in Kirby Dreamland 2, but Scarfy is way worse to me.