VGFacts

Full Version: Anyone got any tips on how to pad out a powerpoint?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got to make a 8-10 minute powerpoint that I've been working on. Unfortunately, there are only 5 points to work on and I've already done them and don't feel good about it yet. Got any tips?
A slide that introduces your subject, and what you'll be talking about. Try using a simple chart with one statistic like "did you know that 9/10 people do XYZ?" Make it slightly fun to get their interest.
You can also, on the same slide, or at another point, ask a question that requires a show of hands. It's a lovely time waster, and your audience will like it more (more fun) than the other droning presentations.

Don't hesitate to speak slowly. Spend a few precious seconds walking to the other side of the screen to point something out on the projection. Press the wrong button after the second slide, so it goes back to the first. It'll spend a few seconds and will likely get a chuckle from the audience if you play it well.

Introduce your points of a slide on the screen one by one, that way you really flesh out what you wanted to say before moving onto the next, rather than hurrying on ahead because you know everyone's skim read the whole slide already.

A Q&A at the end, if you're allowed as part of your time. Before your presentation, tell your audience that they can interrupt you at any time if they're unclear about something or if they have a question. Hopefully they will, and you can spend as much time answering as you want.

Just a few tips !
Those are all excellent tips and I can't think of anything new to add but I would like to clarify one thing quickly.

(12-07-2015, 08:37 AM)SERIOUSLY THOUGH Wrote: [ -> ]Introduce your points of a slide on the screen one by one, that way you really flesh out what you wanted to say before moving onto the next, rather than hurrying on ahead because you know everyone's skim read the whole slide already.

Transitions. I'm sure this is what was meant here but I just wanted to spell this part out explicitly. Don't show everything in one shot and talk about them one by one. Literally bring each point onto the screen one at a time. Don't make them overly flashy - simple slides, fades, or even instant appearances do just fine - but make sure you can control when new content appears.
(12-07-2015, 09:02 AM)Petie Wrote: [ -> ]Those are all excellent tips and I can't think of anything new to add but I would like to clarify one thing quickly.

(12-07-2015, 08:37 AM)SERIOUSLY THOUGH Wrote: [ -> ]Introduce your points of a slide on the screen one by one, that way you really flesh out what you wanted to say before moving onto the next, rather than hurrying on ahead because you know everyone's skim read the whole slide already.

Transitions. I'm sure this is what was meant here but I just wanted to spell this part out explicitly. Don't show everything in one shot and talk about them one by one. Literally bring each point onto the screen one at a time. Don't make them overly flashy - simple slides, fades, or even instant appearances do just fine - but make sure you can control when new content appears.

Yup, exactly !
Speech went great. We were running low on time and I was the 19th person to present. My ten minute speech was turned into a 2 minute speech. :D Knew it well enough to get the important stuff from it and a laugh too.
Oh man this reminds me of one time in High School where I forgot about a presentation and just ended up going with ~3 minutes of content and played a 9/11 trurther documentary for the rest of the time. Got a B+ too.