VGFacts

Full Version: Ever read a comic or watched a movie because of a game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pretty much what says in the title.
I'll be watching the Ratchet & Clank movie and Sly Cooper movie when they come out because I like the games if that counts.
I have made it my mission in life to watch every movie adaptation of a game I can get my hands on. Sometimes I just want to dig my eyes out of their sockets. Strangely enough, there seem to be more ones I like than ones I dislike. The ones I don't like though... Sweet lord.

When it comes to comics I tend to just buy ones that seem interesting. And everything Resident Evil related. You know, coz that's my jam. I guess you could say I got interested in Ghost in the Shell because I played a demo of the PS1 game back in the day.

If you meant things not actually tied to the games, I've been meaning to watch City Hunter just because of the Street Fighter scene.
The amazing Batman Arkham Asylum (and it's sequels) first introduced me to the Batman universe, causing me to watch and then immediately buy the also great Christopher Nolan trilogy.
Of course. That's why we are such critics. Especially the movies. There are very few that I like *cough*, and that's after I think of them as a standalone project that had nothing to do with the gaming universe.
***Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within - probably my favorite since it doesn't really rely on the games
**Doom - If they'd waited a few years, they could have replaced Karl Urban for the third WRESTLEMANIA!!! match between THE ROCK and JOHN CENA in a NO DISQUALIFICATION, FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE, STREET MATCH in a SPACE STATION! That movie is an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back.
*Super Mario Bros. - This ain't no game! And it shouldn't have been a movie, either.
*BloodRayne - I flipped through movie channels and saw the awful "pinned against prison bars sex scene". I've never had a desire to put the game in my Xbox and I own it.
There's many more. They're also very forgettable.
Deadly Premonition got me into Twin Peaks, since I saw a lot of people talking about it.

Apart from that though, I can't think of any else even though I know there are a few more. Games must've gotten me into certain Manga's and Anime and such, but I can't even remember at this point.

(01-14-2016, 06:41 PM)Boyobmas Wrote: [ -> ]The amazing Batman Arkham Asylum (and it's sequels) first introduced me to the Batman universe, causing me to watch and then immediately buy the also great Christopher Nolan trilogy.

That's a really weird way to get into Batman. You should look at some of the cartoon movies and such if you're not big on reading Batman comics. The Nolan trilogy (and a lot of the live action films) aren't really as good as Batman can get.
The very first comic book I bought with my own money as a child was a Sonic the Hedgehog comic. It was back when Sonic was gritty and was basically an Underground leader in Vichy France during WWII, but in the Sonic universe.

I didn't like the Waling Dead tv show, but I love the Telltale Games series...enough so that it got me wanting the comics. I just having bought any of them, yet. When they're a little older they'll be cheaper.

Hell, I first got into the Sengoku Era after playing the original Total War game, Shogun. And now I run a web series about Samurai! And even before that I played KOEI's Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV and became a huge RTK fan. I now own three copies of the original novel, in all its 800,000 word, 129 chapter, two volume glory.
(01-14-2016, 06:41 PM)retrolinkx Wrote: [ -> ]That's a really weird way to get into Batman. You should look at some of the cartoon movies and such if you're not big on reading Batman comics. The Nolan trilogy (and a lot of the live action films) aren't really as good as Batman can get.

I've also since then seen the original Tim Burton Batman, which was also pretty good. My Dad also had a collection of Batman comics from the 90's (a whole box full) and I read through all of those. Haven't really caught up on any recent stuff though.
(I still wish that they made a comic series with Sly cooper, that would have been cool).

Two series that I can think of that made me read the comics because of the games were Sam and Max and Walking Dead.
I was reminded of a comic a while back because of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Fallout, and Metro and went back to it if that counts.

http://www.blastwave-comic.com/index.php?p=comic&nro=1
I've wanted to read the Kingdom Hearts manga because of the Kingdom Hearts game since I'm a fan of Kingdom Hearts. I used to read it on a website.
(01-27-2016, 05:44 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: [ -> ]I was reminded of a comic a while back because of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Fallout, and Metro and went back to it if that counts.

http://www.blastwave-comic.com/index.php?p=comic&nro=1

Did you know that's a Finnish comic? ;)
No actually, I had no idea. I wonder why Finnish isn't in the translations to the side. I've been following the comic pretty loosely since "the spoon".
Because they are unofficial translations. The comic's not that well known in its original country so I don't think there has been much demand for one.
You know? After revisiting this thread, I wondered why I didn't post a example of mine, but then I remenbered that back when I created this thread there wans't any case of... well, I reading a comic or watching a movie because of a videogame.

Anyway, I recently added Runouri Kenshin to my "gotta watch" list because I read an interview were the creator says that he was inspired by the "Samurai Showdown" series and that "The Last Blade" was later inspired by the aforementioned manga/anime series.

Heh, that's quite funny, don't you think? A SNK game that was inspired by a anime/manga series that at the same time is inspired by another SNK game. I guess you could say that "things went full circle" on that one. [Image: tongue-yahoo-emoticon.gif?1301949014]
Pages: 1 2