VGFacts

Full Version: Anyone know some Japan exclusives?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-30155.html

Dazz never posted that on here for some reason so here.
I think the first Front Mission game, or the games in the series in general, that originally never made it out of Japan would be an interesting topic for Land Locked. The first 2 didn't get released outside of Japan originally, citing situations and vocabulary that would be considered faux pas in North America. Even so, it stands as one of Square's (now Square Enix) biggest franchises, with 7 official titles and 4 spin offs, with quite of few of them being Japan exclusive. This presents difficulties for players in NA that do pick up the games released outside of Japan, as the storyline of the main games all build off of previous titles.
Errr, the Japan only Fire Emblem titles. They probably already have that on thier potential list though.

Note: started reading the VGresources post and didn't notice Psychospacecow already suggesting it.

Another pick would probably be N.U.D.E. Natural Ultimate Digital Experiment for the original xbox. It is in the vein of Seaman for the Dreamcast. The game is pretty damn weird.
The most notable ones I know are SEGAGAGA for the Dreamcast, and Doshin the Giant for the N64DD/Gamecube, but here are some others that come to mind:

Giftpia (GCN)
Doshin the Giant: Tinkling Toddler Liberation Front! Assemble! (N64DD)
N.U.D.E. (Xbox)
Metal Wolf Chaos (Xbox)
Puyo Puyo X Tetris (Various)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Pilots' Locus (GCN)
Kururin Squash! (GCN)
Mojib-Ribbon (PS2)
Vib-Ripple (PS2)
Bomberman 64 (2001, not to be confused with the 1997 game "Bomberman 64", called "Baku Bomberman" [Explosive Bomberman] in Japan)
Gimmick! (Famicom, this was released in several European countries, but not all)
DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure (Super Famicom, sequel to Milon's Secret Castle for NES)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Super Famicom, sequel to Secret of Mana)
Mario & Wario (Super Famicom)
Dream Mix TV World Fighters (GCN/PS2)
Battle Stadium D.O.N. (PS2/GCN)
A notable Japan exclusive game that hasn't been mentioned yet in neither of these two threads is GioGio's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind for the Playstation 2. Based on the fifth story arc of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure manga/anime series, the game was originally set to be released worldwide on October 2002 and was even presented at E3 2002, however, the release was eventually cancelled due to unknown reasons, the surmised culprit being copyright issues.

http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_cultu...ento_Aureo

EDIT: as of November 20th, 2018, the game finally received a fan-translation in English. 16 years after the original release.

Another series that hasn't been mentioned is HunterxHunter, none of it's games has been released outside of Japan. Also, based on some cover art, it looks like it looks like the Konami games based on the HXH license feature a brand new character created for exclusive use on those (the one with the Super Saiyan-esque hair).

http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/List...ideo_Games
Another Japan-exclusive game that is worth making a episode of is Otoranger. Here's some basic info from the Capcom Database wiki:
Quote:Otoranger (オトレンジャー Otorenjā?, lit. "Sound Ranger") is a tokusatsu-themed rhythm battle RPG game released by Capcom for iTunes in Japan in 2013. The game's service ended on October 14, 2014, being no longer playable.

The game had some promotional events with Capcom characters, including events based on Mega Man, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ōkami, E.X. Troopers, and Ratman, and two Capcom events with some characters from Mega Man Legends, Mega Man Battle Network, Mega Man Star Force, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Star Gladiator, and Capcom Fighting All-Stars: Code Holder.

One reason about why this game deserves an episode is because Eisbahn, a character from the game, appears in the background of the Union Station stage in Street Fighter V, and thus, some people in the west speculate that this might be a tease for a new character, when in fact, it could be a simple cameo and nothing else (I have a trivia submission talking about this particular cameo).
Another game that hasn't been mentioned in neither of these two threads is Street Fighter II: The Interactive Movie. 

Remenber Street Fighter The Movie: The Game? Well, the idea behind those games is similar: a game that's based on a movie that at the same time is based on a videogame (wonderful logic right there, amirite?), but unlike "Street Fighter The Movie: The Game" which is a full-blow fighting game, "Street Fighter II: The Interactive Movie" is a interactive movie (duh), where you take the control of a Shadaloo cyborg that must take pictures of the fights that occurs during the movie. In the end, the Cyborg must use the techniques he learned from his monitoring against Ryu.
Allright, here's the last addition I'm going to make to this thread.

Fighting Layer was a fighting game deveoped by 'Arika' (the same studio that developed the Street Fighter EX games) and distributied by Namco for the arcades. Something notable about this game it's that it features two characters that were playable in the first EX game but were never featured in it's sequels for unknown reasons: Alllen Snider and Blaire Dame (lore-wise, they are not same characters as those from the EX series, think of them as a "alternate universe counterparts" of sorts); the rest of the cast is completely original.

A possible reason about why this game was never brought to west was because the game was released in December 1998, and the arcade scene wasn't as a strong as back in the late 80's/early 90's (not only in the west, but in Japan as well). Please keep in mind that this is nothing but speculation on my part, so take it with a grain of salt.
(03-18-2017, 11:50 AM)ZpaceJ0ck0 Wrote: [ -> ]Allright, here's the last addition I'm going to make to this thread.

I changed my mind.

"Kinniku Banzuke" is a series of sports games published/developed by Konami based on the sports-variety game show of the same name.

This gameplay footage belongs the game "Kinniku Banzuke: Muscle wars 21" for the Playstation 2, and it focuses on the SASUKE¹ section of it (the SASUKE・EX stages in particular, which are more fantasy-themed).

Put the name of the games in Japanese (in the case of the game above it would be 筋肉番付 〜マッスルウォーズ21〜) if you want to find more results.

http://sasukepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:SASUKE_games

¹The most suscessful of their games, so much in fact that it not only became it's own show after the cancelation 'Kinniku Banzuke', but it also got many spin-offs all over the world as well ('American Ninja Warrior' being the most popular).

Some gameplay of non-SASUKE games (from 'Kinniku Banzuke Vol. 1 - Ore ga Saikyou no Otoko Da!'/筋肉番付vol.1~俺が最強の男だ!).
Have you ever heard Tobal No.1? That fighting game for the original Playstation? Some people know about it because it featured a Final Fantasy VII demo while others know about it because Akira Toriyama of Dragon Ball fame served as a character designer (his self-insert character Tori robo even appeared as a secret playable character in the game).

That being said, there was actually a sequel called Tobal 2, which was released on 1997 as a Japan exclusive. According to a Square official, the game was not localized due to the disappointing sales of Tobal No. 1
Fatal Frame 4 for the nintendo wii. Oddly enough, its kinda surprising this one didn't come out of Japan. This would've been interesting to play.
(04-29-2018, 03:36 PM)CLXcool Wrote: [ -> ]Fatal Frame 4 for the nintendo wii. Oddly enough, its kinda surprising this one didn't come out of Japan. This would've been interesting to play.

Funny how you bring that one up, since the game was covered today on Region Locked.
Does anyone here remenbers Seaman for the Sega Dreamcast? That game where you take care of a fish with a human face? That game that was narrated by Leonard Nimoy in the English release? He did not voice the eponymous seaman, mind you.

Of course most people reading this know which game I am talking about. However, did you know that there is a Japan-exclusive sequel know as Seaman 2? There's little info about Seaman 2 on English, and there are many people out there who don't know there is a sequel. That's why I think it would be a great idea for a Region Locked episode.
Various Dance Dance Revolution games containing the Dancemania licenses that never really made it out of Japan. Key examples are DDR 1 to 5th Mix as well as Extra Mix.
And the Append Club versions of DDR too - which feature various songs from Beatmania.
I just remembered another few exclusives - namely the Picross series.
Mario's Picross 2 for the Game Boy - and (to some extent) Mario No Super Picross for the SNES (I say 'some extent' because it is on eShop).
Also the Picross N.P. series - a series of Picross games for Nintendo Power, including Pokémon, Star Fox and Donkey Kong.
For me it's such a shame that these games never made it outside Japan (probably due to the underperformance of Mario's Picross 1), but it is what it is.
Pages: 1 2 3