VGFacts

Full Version: Video Game Movies: Will They EVER Work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, reviews for the Assassin's Creed movie adaptation have surfaced. They ain't stellar, let me tell you that.
 https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/assassi...ort=rotten
Of course, this isn't surprising by any means, given how pretty much every video game movie is about as endearing and pleasant as waterboarding. Every once in a while there's once that bears the right amount of resemblance to its' source game (Angry Birds, Ratchet & Clank, Warcaft), but still fail when it comes to winning the overall approval of critics. With this in mind, is there any remaining hope that video games will join comic books as the big go-to medium for the film industry?
Probably not. Unless Michael Bay did it. His movies are expensive af to produce and aren't always that great, but they make the moolah.
(12-19-2016, 10:17 PM)Kakariko Kid Wrote: [ -> ]Unless Michael Bay did it.

Dear god no. He already bastardized Transformers and TMNT, we don't need him joining the bandwagon of bastardizing video games.
Incoming long post(just a heads up)

I think what the main problem is with most video game movies is. They are handled by the wrong people. If you look at most of them. Most video game based movies are handled by people who are only doing it for the big $$$, not focusing on the things that made the video games good in the first place. Take for instance The Super Mario bros movie. Dennis Hopper admitted that the film felt like a wife and husband bickering to each other since the people who were making it couldn't make up their minds on what direction to take with the film. In the end, the film was a dud. Critics hated it, you'll find there are a few who like the film(while others hated it) and it just left a very sour note on Nintendo's hands. To this day. They've NEVER allowed anyone to make a movie based off of their video games because they don't want anyone making a disaster with their IPS.

Getting someone like Michael Bay will not make your video game based movie better. As far as I know. What makes a video game great are the following. Story, characters, gameplay, and graphics. But when it comes to adapting them to either film or tv. You gotta have a straight story with character development. Except, the people who make the movies are just focusing on the moolah more than anything. Why else do you think most video game based movies are either decent or just plain bad? The angry birds movie really didn't 'feel' like an angry movie. It felt more like the annoying birds movie since the only bird that truly was angry was Red. The ratchet and clank movie just felt like it was supposedly planned as an animated series instead of a movie, but they added extra things just to crank out the minutes of the runtime for the film. Do NOT get me started on the video game based movies that Uwe Boll did. If there's a person who knows a video game, and how it should work for adaptation. Its the company that owns it, along with the fans.  Look at this short of Majora's Mask. As well as behind the scenes of it. This short was made out of love, and knowledge for the series that it was based off of. 

If any big time studio, be it known for animation or live-action. Can get the right people who know how to write good stories, work together with the people, as well the game studio that made the game(e.g the game developers and the creators of the said game). Then magic can happen. Until then. We're just stuck with hacks/fake fans making bad choices with video games by not thinking straight when it comes to bringing them to the big screen. In short. Its game over for video game based movies if they're still be handled by people in suits who are in it for the $$ over quality and story of the games.
I said Michael Bay's films weren't that great, but rather drew in money. CLX, I completely agree with your statements.
It's worth mentioning as well, that video game based movies often lose two of the four major things that the games likable to most people, gameplay and graphics, since most video game films aren't animated and you can't play a movie. Angry Birds and Ratchet and Clank were both animated, but even then they relied entirely on traditional CGI instead of something original that fit the style the games use. It also doesn't help that most people who tend to play games, play them for the interaction they offer as opposed to what films can offer, since thins tend to be more engrossing when you are in control.
Nah.

Wait, let me ponder even further...

Nah.
(12-19-2016, 11:02 PM)CLXcool Wrote: [ -> ] Look at this short of Majora's Mask. As well as behind the scenes of it. This short was made out of love, and knowledge for the series that it was based off of. 

...holy FUCK, that was amazing.