VGFacts

Full Version: PsychoSpace's Strange Game History Archive - Impossible Creatures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought I'd write up a bit about some of the games I've seen over the years which have just struck me as odd, in a good way, over the years. If you have a suggestion, refresh my memory because I may have seen it.

Now, I will get into story, but not too far, so any spoiler to those that get a game after this, (though I don't think I'm that good), should not worry as these will likely be early developments or irrelevant to the main plot.

Okay first off, I present to you Impossible Creatures.
[Image: 264164-impossible-creatures-windows-scre...screen.jpg]

Impossible Creatures was a real time strategy game, released in the years of rts, in particular 2002. It incorporated your standard stuff, workers, upgrade buildings, a barracks of sorts, five tiers of power,the works. In fact, it was pretty generic by that standpoint. What really made IC stand out was the game units. You see, in Impossible Creatures, YOU make your soldiers. This is accomplished by mashing the D.N.A. of two different animals to make one unit.
That's right,for the first time in a game ever, you could effectively combine an ant with a sperm whale and use their clone babies to fend off your enemy's zebra-archer fish.
Now, this as you'd probably figure, leads to a lot of customization and strategy. In fact, you are given 9 slots for creatures for your army's creature species, and there are 50 base game creatures to splice together (about 75 with the free extra content), and those creatures could fly, swim, run, shoot poison, stink like skunks, dig, gore, run in packs, or act as loners, all by what you polymerize together, and if you can get some friends, it gets to be a lot of fun.

I Say that, because Microsoft killed off Impossible Creature's online servers.
Of course, there are alternative servers, but that makes a divided community.
Regardless, there's still plenty of content and experience to be had in Impossible Creatures. First off, the campaign, though rampant with sarcastic Eskimo stereotypes making jokes about the latest models of drums, PETA's interpretation of a whaler, and the tool that is your main character Rex Chance, has its own charm and challenge. Your character along with the scientist, Lucy Willings, work together to find out about Rex's father and to stop the evil rich guy Upton Julius, all in the midst of World War 2, and to do this, you collect samples from local species and splice them together to make Frankenstein's dream dinner of lobster-cows, though other things are available I suppose.
Its a fun game, with a good sense of humor, an extensive and unique system of armies, not leaning on any archetype or race, rather on what you make it to be, and there's nothing more satisfying than killing your enemies with Killer Whale Hornets.

I give this Strange Game the category of unique nostalgia because that's what keeps drawing me back into it.

The Wikipedia : http://www.vgfacts.com/forums/newthread.php?fid=8
The Official Website : http://www.microsoft.com/games/impossiblecreatures/
The Dedicated Wiki : http://impossiblecreatures.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
A list of dlc and mods, all free, some unofficial: http://impossiblecreatures.wikia.com/wiki/DLC

Also, if you would hope for a sequel, this is on the Wikipedia page.
Concurrent with the development of the real-time strategy, Relic had also been developing a platformer for the Xbox game console based in the Impossible Creatures universe. In this version, the player guided Rex Chance through various environments from a third-person perspective. The primary gameplay mechanic revolved around the players ability to temporarily morph into any animal that the player had 'captured' the DNA of, and whose natural abilities could then be used to traverse obstacles within the level.

The title was canceled due to the disappointing sales figures and lukewarm critical reception of the PC original.
This game rings a bell !
I may have played it once or twice - good overview in any case :)
This is what I have to say. Ahem...

Spidersnake.
[Image: Vlcsnap-2013-04-05-16h53m19s104.png]