VGFacts

Full Version: Gramattically Incorrect Advertisement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On DidYouKnowGaming, the big square VGFacts image is grammatically incorrect.

It reads "VGFacts had thousands of pieces of trivia, and is updated frequently."

There shouldn't be a comma. A comma should be used with a conjunction only when being used to combine a group of nouns (i.e. Mario, Zelda, and Metroid) or when combining two complete sentences. "is updated frequently" is not a complete sentence. If it was "it is updated frequently," then it would need a comma.

I'm not trying to be condescending; I'm just trying to help out.
While you're technically correct, I'd just like to point out that a comma can also be used less formally to indicate a pause in a sentence's pace (more traditionally in dialogue). However, I do agree that the comma isn't actually necessary there, though I suppose it isn't hurting either. Thanks for pointing that out.
I agree with Petie.
Also, some people find it easier to read when commas, like the one used in this case, break up a sentence.
Might I suggest writing the next Ad entirely in engirsh.

"Vgfacts offering portions of finer points with gaming pleasure well-run often!"
(04-23-2013, 07:33 PM)SERIOUSLY THOUGH Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with Petie.
Also, some people find it easier to read when commas, like the one used in this case, break up a sentence.

The commas you used there were actually used correctly though, so that makes sense :)
(04-23-2013, 08:42 PM)Petie Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-23-2013, 07:33 PM)SERIOUSLY THOUGH Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with Petie.

The commas you used there were actually used correctly though, so that makes sense :)

I was actually toying with the idea of adding a disclaimer to my post saying that " 'this case' refers to what Symthic was referring to". I should have done so !