VGFacts

Full Version: HeartGold SoulSilver intro oddity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Towards the end of the HGSS opening sequence, there's a part where the 3 starters all move across the screen. Toto and Chiko use their in game sprites, but Cyndaquil's is a Sprite not seen in any previous or future Pokemon game. Maybe it's an early beta sprite that remained in the final release for some reason. During my research, I actually found a Bulbapedia article talking about the Beta for the game, and it explains that this oddity existed in the beta, but makes no mention of it existing in the final release. This is something I've found while shiny hunting in HGSS and watching the opening a couple hundred times.

I haven't managed to find any mention of this online other than the misleading bulbapedia article, despite my hours of research So, here we are. Included is a screenshot of the Cyndaquil sprite from the opening sequence, taken directly from my capture card, and a screenshot of all of Cyndaquil's sprites from Gen II to Gen IV, taken from https://pokemondb.net/sprites/cyndaquil

[attachment=456]
[attachment=457]
(03-16-2022, 12:14 AM)TrainerRobo Wrote: [ -> ]Towards the end of the HGSS opening sequence, there's a part where the 3 starters all move across the screen. Toto and Chiko use their in game sprites, but Cyndaquil's is a Sprite not seen in any previous or future Pokemon game. Maybe it's an early beta sprite that remained in the final release for some reason. During my research, I actually found a Bulbapedia article talking about the Beta for the game, and it explains that this oddity existed in the beta, but makes no mention of it existing in the final release. This is something I've found while shiny hunting in HGSS and watching the opening a couple hundred times.

I haven't managed to find any mention of this online other than the misleading bulbapedia article, despite my hours of research So, here we are. Included is a screenshot of the Cyndaquil sprite from the opening sequence, taken directly from my capture card, and a screenshot of all of Cyndaquil's sprites from Gen II to Gen IV, taken from https://pokemondb.net/sprites/cyndaquil

The eyes are completely different between the cyndaquil beta sprite and the final sprites. What a great find!