VGFacts

Full Version: Street Fighter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Someone please write the insane Street Fighter chronology.
I would have some time before watching this video.

Your welcome.
Like, the order the games happen in?

Saturday Night Slam Masters
Ring of Destruction: Slam Masters 2
Street Fighter
Final Fight
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Final Fight 2
Final Fight Revenge
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Final Fight 3
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Final Fight Streetwise
Isn't Rival Schools in there?
(05-18-2013, 03:44 PM)BumblebeeCody Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't Rival Schools in there?

Oh, quite true! I assume they happen about the same time as the Alpha series, or possibly just before it.
Wait, Street Fighter has a timeline?
I always thought it was just a bunch of guys deciding that they wanted to beat eachother up because they're bored.

(05-19-2013, 10:36 PM)Arjahn Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, Street Fighter has a timeline?
I always thought it was just a bunch of guys deciding that they wanted to beat eachother up because they're bored.

That reminded me of something. I found Ken's story in SFIV hilarious as his opening animation has him leaving home, closing the door and suddenly he's on the other side of the world fighting a Brazilian jungle monster on an old ship somewhere in Asia. Then, after fighting like ten battles all around the world and destroying some dude who ran away from the Blue Man Group his ending animation has him returning home with the same angle on the door, like nothing ever happened.
(05-19-2013, 10:36 PM)Arjahn Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, Street Fighter has a timeline?

In all fairness, none of us in the FGC actually give a shit about fighting game stories. Maybe BlazBlue and KoF but those who actually playing fighting games, generally don't care.
I like the stories in fighters as the animations you get before and after are enough incentive for me to play through arcade modes with all characters, making the game have more life instead of just collecting dust on my shelf.
(05-17-2013, 07:17 PM)Beardy Wrote: [ -> ]Someone please write the insane Street Fighter chronology.

I know this is a 3-year-old thread, but I just found the perfect excuse to explain the chronology, so there you go:

1. Saturday Night Slam Masters¹
2. Muscle Bomber Duo
3. Ring of Destruction: Saturday Night Slam Masters 2
4. Street Fighter & Final Fight
5. Street Fighter Alpha 1 & 2 ²
6. Street Fighter Alpha 3 & Final Fight 2
7. Street Fighter 2 (series) & Street Fighter EX (series)³
8. Street Fighter 4 (series) & Final Fight 3
9. Street Fighter 5
10. Street Fighter 3 NG & SI
11. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

¹ For some bizarre, unexplained reason Capcom USA decided to change the time placement of the Slam Master series. In the original Japanese release, the games take place BEFORE Final Fight. It takes place during Mike Haggar's wrestling career and before he turned to politics. Capcom USA changed it so that it takes place after Final Fight by refering to Mike Haggar as the "former mayor of Metro City". They also changed the names and even nationalities of some characters, such as the Australian wrestler and former Rugby player Sheep the Royal being turned into a meat butcher from Kentucky called Alexander the Grater.

Capcom USA also said that Gunloc/Lucky Colt was "rumored to be related to a famous Street Fighter" (Guile), something that was NEVER hinted or mentioned in the original Japanese release. They also said that Kiev is a Russian city even thought it is located in Ukraine.

Then again, this was not the first time Capcom USA has made bizarre localization changes, nor it would be the last. Case in point, the Ace Attorney series.

"EAT YOUR HAMBURGERS, APOLLO!"

² Street Fighter Alpha is NOT a prequel to SF1, which is ironic considering the series is called Street Fighter Zero in Japan. Why is it called Street Fighter Zero in Japan even thought is not a prequel to SF1? I don't know.

³ The events of Street Fighter EX take place in it's own separate continuity. Additionally, the EX original characters like Garuda, Hokuto, Allen Snider, Blair Dame, etc. are owned by a different company name ARIKA. ARIKA was the development studio behind the EX games, Capcom just licensed out the Street Fighter IP and did most of the publishing.

And now you know the reason why the EX characters have yet to appear in a mainline Street Fighter game or a Capcom crossover. Because those characters never belonged to Capcom in the first place.

One last thing is that SFV director Takayuki Nakayama confirmed a few months ago that the Rival Schools series takes place on the same universe as well, although it's placement within the chronology has yet to be explained.

https://twitter.com/takaNakayama/status/...3229727744

EDIT: Removed the years (as in the setting) because that's no longer in use. Street Fighter uses a Sliding Timescale like some comic books. Capcom even stopped listing the characters' birth years some time ago. For those who don't know what a sliding timescale (AKA a sliding timeline or floating timeline) is, I'll explain to you.

In SF, each game uses the year of its release as a general setting, so SF4 and SF5 look like they take place in 2008 and 2016 (respectively) despite being only two years apart chronologically. Neither game is set in the 90s despite taking place before SF3 which is set in '97. Basically no SF game is set in a specific year, at least not since SF2. Once capcom realized they had a big franchise on their hands they stopped listing birth years for the characters and the ones from SF2 were retconned away.

"That's not true. Capcom still mentions the character's birthdays and-" - I said Capcom stopped mentioning the birth years, not their birthdays. Learn to read.

Time only passes when capcom says it does, and each new SF always looks like it takes place in the present. That is a floating timeline/sliding timescale.