VGFacts

Full Version: User Submitted Backgrounds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hey all! After some recent discussion regarding backgrounds for the site, we updated our template and are now sharing it with the community. So, if you have access to Photoshop (or another program capable of opening .psd files), grab a copy and have at it!

Each month on the first (starting in August since our new background went up today), we'll switch the background image out with one you guys created (or one of our own if there were no applicable submissions at the time). The current plan is to use a major release for that month when possible so keep that in mind when submitting.

If you have any questions, let me know but otherwise, here's the template: https://www.vgfacts.com/images/misc/vgfa...mplate.psd
If only I were good with Photoshop.

Still it's nice to have things like this on the site for people who are artistic.
(06-17-2013, 11:11 PM)Arjahn Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yeah, and what about letting us submit possible forum backgrounds? I think that could be a cool way to get involved and stuff.
Aw, gimme a little credit :(

Just kidding, I'm really glad to see this become an actual thing ^_^

Also, I just spent ten minutes throwing this Pikmin background together in Photoshop, since it's releasing in August. Lemme know what you think.
[Image: zDW0TY1.jpg]
(06-18-2013, 06:21 PM)Arjahn Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2013, 11:11 PM)Arjahn Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yeah, and what about letting us submit possible forum backgrounds? I think that could be a cool way to get involved and stuff.
Aw, gimme a little credit :(

Just kidding, I'm really glad to see this become an actual thing ^_^

Also, I just spent ten minutes throwing this Pikmin background together in Photoshop, since it's releasing in August. Lemme know what you think.
[snip]

Your credit was implied :P

And nice work - I really like the way that came out though it seems to be lacking of a red Pikmin :(
Fixed that for ya
[Image: Qae7fEg.jpg]
PERFECT! We have our August background.
If I can get my hands on Photoshop again, expect a few.
Quickly made this Wind Waker background which I suppose would count for the HD re-release.

(Click me for the photoshop file.)

[Image: BanmQcx.png]
We'd rather stay away from fanart. It doesn't look very professional and we don't want to get into arguments with artists about giving credit to their work or getting permission.
I swear, we'd hear the phase "You've stolen my original art" too many times if we did.

Also, where are the Smash Bros themes?

Oh, and I think it would be a good idea to catalogue these and allow users to place them on their account. As in, let's say I wanted the Bioshock Infinite background all the time, I could select it in my account and only I would see it.

Of course, they would need to something that updates them automatically so that people will be able to see the new ones, and if they want, allow them to stop them doing that.
(06-19-2013, 02:04 PM)retrolinkx Wrote: [ -> ]I swear, we'd hear the phase "You've stolen my original art" too many times if we did.

Also, where are the Smash Bros themes?

Oh, and I think it would be a good idea to catalogue these and allow users to place them on their account. As in, let's say I wanted the Bioshock Infinite background all the time, I could select it in my account and only I would see it.

Of course, they would need to something that updates them automatically so that people will be able to see the new ones, and if they want, allow them to stop them doing that.

I think that's a really good idea.
While I agree that it would be cool, it's actually a lot more complicated than it seems. The background is controlled via an external stylesheet and looks for a file called background.png. When we update it, we just overwrite the existing background.

I do agree that archiving them couldn't hurt so I updated the background script to save a copy of the current background when uploading a new one but making that dynamically select-able would require more work than it's currently worth.
Maybe sometime in the future. But for now, I agree with Petie.
Taking another shot at this. This time I made sure it's not fanart.

Batman Arkham Origins

(Photoshop file in case you want to mess around with it.)

[Image: GONGXhU.png]
I hate to ask but what was applied to the replace me layer? I'm trying out PS elements and can't find my way into any non-face level info.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9