VGFacts

Full Version: Final Fantasy 1 and Final Fantasy 9 take place in the same world?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to propose some trivia for you guys; and it regards Final Fantasy.
Me, my husband and our final fantasy friends all agree on this, and I'd like some other input as well.

We have concluded that FF1 and FF9 are set in the same world.
The logic?
The world map in 9 and 1, are nearly identical when looking at them from above
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/World...1world.gif
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/World...-world.gif

Both games have a place called Mt. Gulug (Mt. Gulg in FF1) and if you listen to both of their dungeon music themes, they are very identical. Here's Mt. Gulg's theme in 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0BdzfGuiIo)
and here's Mt. Gulug in 9 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNKo924QhVs)
They both have dwarves who use the term 'rally-ho!' when greeting each other.
Both games feature the Four Fiends (Lich Marilith, Tiamat and Kraken). In both games, the main party must defeat before moving onto Garland, the final boss.

If you look on the back of the FF9 North American cover, it states "the crystals are back", which is definitely a reference to the crystals in the first game, as they were very important to the story.

And finally, the most convincing evidence of all is the villain named Garland. In FF1, after the four main warriors defeat Garland, it stated in the epilogue that Garland, among others, would be waiting for the Warriors of Light in the future. Garland most likely created another time loop (as he did many times in the first game) and waited thousands of years using the Genomes to cycle the souls of Gaia and Terra to become a god just like in the first game. Mikoto in FF9 even stated that "Garland once tried to take control of the cycle of souls by force, but failed," in reference to Garland's first attempt control the cycle of time.

If you played Dissidia and pick Garland from FF1 to fight Kuja, Kuja states before the fight "there is nothing is discuss with you". This is because Garland created the Genomes such as Kuja and Zidane so this line would make a lot of sense if you think of Garland in FF1 and FF9 being the same person.

Resources: Final Fantasy (1)
Final Fantasy 9- All rights to respective owners.

Well that's my trivia, hope you enjoyed it and feel free to message me with any questions!
Make sure to submit it.
(08-10-2013, 04:10 AM)Psychospacecow Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure to submit it.

I already did. The person who e-mailed me advised I put it here in the forums.
Hmm... This is certainly interesting and if true, it would make them the first two main FF games to tie to each other. Chronologically, I mean, because obviously FFVII tied to FFX and FFXIII will tie to FFXV.
It's really not out of the possibilities for it to be true. Not sure if any of you knew this but FF9 is meant to be (more or less) an "Anniversary" game. The game was intended, in many ways, to be a salute to the history of the series. The Kefka laugh in the shop cage and ViVi looking like the typical Black Mage are a few examples. So it's really the far fetched of a fact.
(08-10-2013, 10:46 AM)gamemaster1991 Wrote: [ -> ]It's really not out of the possibilities for it to be true. Not sure if any of you knew this but FF9 is meant to be (more or less) an "Anniversary" game. The game was intended, in many ways, to be a salute to the history of the series. The Kefka laugh in the shop cage and ViVi looking like the typical Black Mage are a few examples. So it's really the far fetched of a fact.

Right, I understand they use a lot of cameos in their games (such as having a "Cid" in each one and as you mentioned Vivi taking on the classic black mage look)

However, seems to me that this is all too much of a coincidence to dismiss it as just an homage to the older games.

Something else I forgot to mention is that in the play "I want to be your canary", the princess's name is Cornelia....the kingdom's name in the first game.
(08-10-2013, 02:13 PM)TheGenomePrincess Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2013, 10:46 AM)gamemaster1991 Wrote: [ -> ]It's really not out of the possibilities for it to be true. Not sure if any of you knew this but FF9 is meant to be (more or less) an "Anniversary" game. The game was intended, in many ways, to be a salute to the history of the series. The Kefka laugh in the shop cage and ViVi looking like the typical Black Mage are a few examples. So it's really the far fetched of a fact.

Right, I understand they use a lot of cameos in their games (such as having a "Cid" in each one and as you mentioned Vivi taking on the classic black mage look)

However, seems to me that this is all too much of a coincidence to dismiss it as just an homage to the older games.

Something else I forgot to mention is that in the play "I want to be your canary", the princess's name is Cornelia....the kingdom's name in the first game.

I know what you are talking about, and I was saying the game is filled with these kinds of call backs and nods to the other games, so ether way it still is a fact.

Also in the play is this reference to the protagonists of VII and VIII:
[Image: Zidane_ref_Cloud_and_Squall.jpg]
You can use it if you want.
(08-10-2013, 02:25 PM)gamemaster1991 Wrote: [ -> ]

I know what you are talking about, and I was saying the game is filled with these kinds of call backs and nods to the other games, so ether way it still is a fact.

I get it. because they're all named after weather.
(08-10-2013, 02:28 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2013, 02:25 PM)gamemaster1991 Wrote: [ -> ]

I get it. because they're all named after weather.

Goodness, I love FFIX's ending. I am such a sucker for romantic endings T_T

Right, but it seems more than "nods and call backs" to me. I respectfully disagree that it is only just that, and I do value other people's input and opinions.