VGFacts

Full Version: Hayo Miyazaki retires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A few days ago, Japanese animation director Hayo Miyazaki(of Spirited away and Castle in the sky fame) has announced he's retiring from animation. His eye vision isn't doing too well and he decided to pull the curtain on film making. I gotta say. He did some good Japanese animated features. I'm a little surprised about this. But if he's retiring then that is fine with me.
He's made some great stuff.

That being said, he's said multiple times he was going to retire. I wonder if he's actually serious this time.
[Image: sadpanda.gif#sad%20panda]

I love his movies and wish he did not have to retire. However, I did know that he was going to have to stop sooner or later. All I have to say is: Arigatou Gozaimasu, Miyazaki. (I did say that corect, right?)
He sounds like he means it. He's not pulling any strings on it because he had stated that his eye vision isn't as good as it was.
Well I wish him the best then. He's outdone the entire film industry enough times to retire and become an animation.
He's done some of the greatest animated features out there, he certainly has deserved his retirement.
I am sad :( [Image: tumblr_lppe5f6H1P1qehmh1o1_500.gif]
No matter how serious he seems I'm still not gonna believe it until he doesn't make another movie. Remember Ponyo was supposed to be his last and a film he just directed came out in Japan a few months ago. That said, even if he does, and no one can blame him, he is 72 years old, if from up on poppy hill is any indication of what's to come for the next several years, he chose a good time to stop.
I really want to see that movie about the zero, but I'm afraid of the sheer censorship rape that the mouse will do to it.
(09-03-2013, 06:15 AM)Psychospacecow Wrote: [ -> ]I really want to see that movie about the zero, but I'm afraid of the sheer censorship rape that the mouse will do to it.

Care to elaborate?
(09-03-2013, 07:12 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2013, 06:15 AM)Psychospacecow Wrote: [ -> ]I really want to see that movie about the zero, but I'm afraid of the sheer censorship rape that the mouse will do to it.

Care to elaborate?

He's talking about the latest Miyazaki movie that Disney has recently acquired, The Wind Rises.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Rises
Wind of the rises is going to be Miyazaki's last feature. He's also had a history about censorship regarding on his work. He doesn't like censorship from America very much. So chances are its going to be uncut.
(09-03-2013, 07:12 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: [ -> ]

Care to elaborate?

Well, Disney handles everything when it comes to his works in English countries, and the new movie is about the designer of the Zero and the coming days before World War Two. Even though Walt was a Nazi, I don't think Disney's going to let this one go through unscathed.
From what I understand a deal was made where Disney can't censor Miyazaki's work. At all. I know I was shocked when I watch Pom Poko for the first time and saw Tanuki balls all over the place xD Heck, his movies aren't even allowed to be edited for television. I wonder if any parents complained when Cartoon Network aired Princess Mononoke uncut?

My heart sank when I read about his retirement, but he's getting up there in years. If he feels the time is right to call it quits then I respect his decision. I just wish I could thank him for Kiki's Delivery Service. It was one of the first animes I ever saw and it finally had a female character I liked and could relate to a bit. Not like Disney with all their prince seeking women.
...Cartoon Network aired Princess Mononoke uncut?

That's metal.
Pages: 1 2