VGFacts

Full Version: Need help with an idea for my history class.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I was recommending a youtube series to my history teacher called "crash course".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E9WU9TGr...3eG7ObzO7s
and ended up showing this also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ic6ztQYjg
So, she wants some recommendations for games that could be used in the class, the freer the better.
Also, no excessive gore or "bad language"
For WW2, I have Civilization, Company of Heroes, Call of Duty 1-2 (maybe),
and Making History : The Calm & The Storm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JudzijKnKZM

Does anyone have some suggestions for cold war era or some other WW2 stuff I could recommend? If its abandonware that works on vista, then its probably good.
The only thing I could think of that is good for History class is Assassin's Creed. It's good for dates that things happened and good for knowing the history of a famous person. Ex: Rodrigo Borgia (Pope Alexander VI AKA the big bad of AC2) was killed by his son (Cesare Borgia AKA the big bad of AC:B) when he poisoned him. Also, the hub of AC4 (Nassau) was commonly visited by pirates back in the day due to it being a self-proclaimed 'Pirate Republic'.

This really does not work for an example as it has "excessive gore" (you assassinate people, so duh) and "bad language" (the other part of the M rating), but it still works as an example of how you can learn from video games.
If you decide to show off Assassin's Creed, GeopLP did a wonderful LP of the game where he talks about the history and culture of the time:

In terms of gore and violence it's excessive though it's history which involves of mostly gore and violence.

I don't think Assassin's Creed is gory - it's gory to the same degree that Romeo and Juliet is gory.
Yeah, but you know how teachers can be. I found a program I might pitch called freeciv. Its apparently Civilization with customization 126+ multiplayer and a terrible ui.
(09-15-2013, 04:11 PM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Assassin's Creed is gory - it's gory to the same degree that Romeo and Juliet is gory.

I agree. I even asked my mom and aunt (they both know about some games, with my aunt being a gamer herself) to see if they could think of some examples. We all think that you can't really have a game based on history without some Blood. That's our wars and politics. I mean Abe Lincoln and JFK were killed in front of people with JFK's death having video people can see today.

By the way, did you know that Thomas Edison used electricity to kill elephants? I do thanks to AC. There is a video on Youtube, but it's not really safe to watch for people who scare easly or love animals. Assassin's Creed II cuts the video the moment the elephant get shocked, so you can say that they want to show you but don't want to show any cruelty to real animals.

AC tries to be histrionically acurate while still trying to be a good game.

On the subject of history games, I found a game called "Cold War" about a civilian reporter in 1986. Anyone know about this game? All I know is from the wiki page.
I know, heck I'm recommending company of heroes.

I don't know about that Cold War game. I'll look into it though.