VGFacts

Full Version: Should I get fire emblem awakening?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm thinking about getting it but I'm not sure if its a good idea to get it. So I need some advice. Like I'm so into Mario, Sonic, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Professor Layton and other games that have an objective that require solutions. But I want answers as to how is this franchise fire emblem?

Does fire emblem awakening require the player to play the other fire emblem games to get the idea of the story. Is it flexible to play as in is it only for hardcore players? Like does it have an objective?
The objective is to win with minimal casualty. Honestly, Awakening is probably the best entry point in the series even if its social aspects are the most complicated. The game is by no means the hardest of them from what I hear of it, and there is a game mode which allows people who die in a mission to have only been "injured" or something like that and be ready for the next fight.
As a fan of the series, I can safely say that, no, playing the other games is not necessary to enjoy Fire Emblem: Awakening. I won't spoil the story, but while there are references and a certain character from previous games, they are rather meaningless since the story Awakening tells is largely self-contained within its own mythology, even with the aforementioned character.

As for what it's about, the main goal is to defeat all the enemies on a map and avoid losing units. there's a ton of depth behind it all, like the support system, Dual Strike (a reference to the first DS Advance Wars game) and so on, as well as a plethora of content, not counting DLC.

Awakening is the best in the series mechanically, but as an experience, Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance rank higher overall. If you're new to the series, it's perfect for you, with a casual mode so that losing units in one doesn't cause them to disappear throughout the entire game, and a much better tutorial than Fire Emblem.