VGFacts
At the Movies! - Printable Version

+- VGFacts (https://archive.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Other Discussions (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: At the Movies! (/thread-14.html)

RE: At the Movies! - Arjahn - 05-24-2014

I saw Godzilla too, and I was pretty dang disappointed.

Before you jump on the whole "Oh you just wanted to see another dumb action movie!" defense bandwagon, I want to clarify that I really enjoyed the early parts of the movie and I was excited to see a great story interwoven to the typical "giant lizard destroys cities" formula. It started with a great main character who had just enough backstory and motivation to invest the audience in him, and then...

RE: At the Movies! - GameWizard001 - 05-29-2014

This looks interesting. Kinda reminds me of Corpse Bride but more colorful.

RE: At the Movies! - Hexadecimal - 05-29-2014

The way the characters are designed are like if Tim Schafer made a movie. Neat.

I kinda feel like a lot was spoiled in the trailer, but I'll still go see it.

RE: At the Movies! - GameWizard001 - 05-29-2014

(05-29-2014, 04:34 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: The way the characters are designed are like if Tim Schafer made a movie. Neat.

That is what someone who did the review for Seth MacFarlane's Million Ways to Die in the West. He said that the trailer and the promos pretty much just spoiled all the major bits in the movie and the plot and didn't leave too much left for the film to give.

I think trailers are giving too much away these days. They are meant to tease us, inform us of the big picture or a synopsis of what the film is. Or don't even give us really that much, just enough to hook us in and let us see for ourselves when we go to the movies what the film is about. Let us the audience find that out, let it once more be an event, an adventure of discovering like it used to be for us when we were little and just starting to go to the movies for the first time.

RE: At the Movies! - Mass Distraction - 05-30-2014

(05-29-2014, 04:39 PM)GameWizard001 Wrote:
(05-29-2014, 04:34 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: The way the characters are designed are like if Tim Schafer made a movie. Neat.

That is what someone who did the review for Seth MacFarlane's Million Ways to Die in the West. He said that the trailer and the promos pretty much just spoiled all the major bits in the movie and the plot and didn't leave too much left for the film to give.

I think trailers are giving too much away these days. They are meant to tease us, inform us of the big picture or a synopsis of what the film is. Or don't even give us really that much, just enough to hook us in and let us see for ourselves when we go to the movies what the film is about. Let us the audience find that out, let it once more be an event, an adventure of discovering like it used to be for us when we were little and just starting to go to the movies for the first time.

That's why I prefer teasers, as long as the ones making them know what the word "teaser" means. Sometimes teasers end up being just short trailers.

Kind of off topic but it's a big problem with games, too. I remember being really excited for RE5 and RE6 but when the games finally came out pretty much all of the story and plot twists had been shown directly via trailers.

RE: At the Movies! - CLXcool - 05-30-2014

I wonder if anyone who worked on Grim Fandango(or with Tim Schafer in general) had took part of the production of The Book Of Life. I am definitively gonna see that once it comes out. The director of the movie is the creator of El Tigre. That could explain why I felt a bit reminded of that show here.

RE: At the Movies! - GameWizard001 - 05-30-2014

Just got back from watching Maleficent. It was good. Not great, "OMG! THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER!" but it was good. I was entertained. Sure there are corny bits, some obvious bits you can see a mile away. Even a moment you could tell what was gonna happen and from there guess what will happen after (sorry for being vague but it just came out and I'll wait a bit before doing any spoiler stuff).

You could tell though pretty early on that it was gonna have Maleficent become a anti-heroish character. Not a hero, not a villain but someone who is in between. To be frank though, she really isn't evil. Immature and childish is how I would describe her actions compared to the King she hates. He was evil, he made choices that damned him when he had every opportunity to be a good person but instead chose the path of betrayal.

So if you want a rating or something, I'd give it 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5, hows that? Has some stupid moments but it is an entertaining film if you are bored and want to kill an 1hr 1/2 while seeing really pretty CGI.

RE: At the Movies! - Hexadecimal - 06-02-2014

...So glad I saw this before bed.

RE: At the Movies! - GameWizard001 - 06-03-2014

^^ I can't tell if that is another "Found Footage" kind of movie, but it does look good and scary. Like Event Horizon meets Blair Witch Project set in the London Underground.

....Yeah not the sort of thing to watch just before going to sleep I agree.

RE: At the Movies! - Mass Distraction - 06-03-2014

Oooh, I love found footage films! That's a definite watch.

RE: At the Movies! - CLXcool - 06-03-2014

I came back from seeing "A million ways to die in the west'' with my brother and a few of his friends. I'll be completely honest. I didn't laugh throughout the film. I won't spoil the film for everyone, but I will say this. The film tried too hard to be a western, it was venturing off into a completely different direction and didn't stay put in the western genre. I know that its a comedy, but I wasn't laughing throughout the entire film.

Most of the jokes felt like rejected jokes/used jokes from previous Family Guy episodes(I am aware Seth macfarlane did this people. So don't point that out please). I liked the acting from everyone else except for Seth's character, and that was just about it. If your going to do a western. Either do a straight up western(like Rango) or at least try to put some effort into it if your going to make it a comedy(Blazing Saddles does this in a perfect way). Seth was trying too hard to try to mimic Blazing Saddles while making this western.

RE: At the Movies! - Newt - 06-04-2014

I'll agree with you. I was pretty disappointed in the film. I took my girlfriend and a mutual friend, and they both loved it though, and thought I was being lame about not enjoying the film. I just thought the jokes weren't funny. Seth's acting is weird in that if I close my eyes, I believe what he's saying, but if I look at his face, I don't. He's definitely a voice actor, and not much more. I laughed a few times, though I can't remember when. I remember being amused at him drinking the drugs and them saying "You're going to freak out. And probably die." but that was ruined by the trailer. As was the Back to the Future scene. Not much was left to make me laugh.

I saw X-Men today as well. I wasn't too into it. Nor was the girlfriend. Though my friends all seemed to really enjoy it, and the comic forums I frequent ALSO enjoyed it. I just thought it was kind of dull. It opened up strong, and I got my hopes up, but then it just kind of dulled down and I lost interest. Then it ended and I was like "Meh."

The best part to Million Ways to Die in the Midwest was the trailers. Almost every trailer looked really cool. It's a shame I'll forget about these movies by the time they're out in theaters, because some of them looked top notch.

RE: At the Movies! - Hexadecimal - 06-04-2014

So... Someone actually uploaded A Serbian Film onto youtube. I'm not sure if I should give into curiosity and see if it's really as bad as people say, or use proper judgement and stay the hell away from it.

RE: At the Movies! - CLXcool - 06-05-2014

(06-04-2014, 11:22 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: So... Someone actually uploaded A Serbian Film onto youtube. I'm not sure if I should give into curiosity and see if it's really as bad as people say, or use proper judgement and stay the hell away from it.
I'm not taking a chance with it. I don't have the stomach for it.

RE: At the Movies! - GameWizard001 - 06-05-2014

(06-04-2014, 11:22 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: So... Someone actually uploaded A Serbian Film onto youtube. I'm not sure if I should give into curiosity and see if it's really as bad as people say, or use proper judgement and stay the hell away from it.

[Image: 128861991176498750-copy.jpg]