VGFacts
At the Movies! - Printable Version

+- VGFacts (https://archive.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Other Discussions (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: At the Movies! (/thread-14.html)

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 06-28-2017

So today I finally watched the first two 'Terminator' films.

Terminator: This is the same movie that kickstarted the careers of Arnold, Cameron, Michael Biehn, Lance Henriksen and perphas even Bill Paxton, and for a good reason. It brims with energy and promise, a script that mostly delivers, characters you can enjoy, and a role that works perfectly for Arnie.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day: A great sequel to a great film. The special effects were ahead of the time, the action scenes were really well made, Robert Patrick's performance is flawless and the film brought a message that you'll remenber for a long time.

RE: At the Movies! - gamemaster1991 - 06-29-2017

So new Jumanji movie coming out soon.

I'm not sure if this is really going to be a good movie since I can predict 85% of the jokes. It seems like it's taking the cartoon as inspiration, but even in that, they seem to have missed the mark by a good distance. I'm willing to see it, but I'm not holding high hopes. Just wish they didn't put Jumanji in the title, so I could have a little more faith in it. It really looks good if you take Jumanji out of the title.

Also, this fits in this forum because the board game is now a video game, which is the main reason I'm upset with it.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 06-30-2017

So yesterday I watched the musical 'Pink Floyd: The Wall' while today I watched the 3rd and 4th 'Terminator' films.

Pink Floyd: The Wall: As someone who has never been a fan of the musical genre I must say this was one hell of a LSD trip. The animation sequences were really smoth, Bob Geldof's performance as 'Pink' is spot on and I liked the overal surreal atmosphere. By the way: there are very few words in the film, most of the story is told by the songs of the album, so if you really want to understand, you have to pay attention to the lyrics!

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines: I've seen a lot of people shitting on the movie, but I partially disagree withe the sentiment. Okay sure, Edward Furlong was replaced with the inferior Nick Stahl, but other than that it established good lore and presented a natural evolution for Skynet.

Terminator Salvation (aka Terminator 4): This movie is slightly worse than Terminator 3. The robot desings feel like something out of Transformers, all glosy and pointy looking. Christian Bale's performance as John Connor was spot on; sure, he doesn't really feel like an interesting character, but look at it from this perspective: if you have to awake every morning knowing that the fate of what's left of humanity is in your shoulders, would you be a fun guy to hang around with? John Connor as a religious figure in the Terminator universe simply has no room for expansion. I also liked how we managed to see the T-600 Terminator model, the one with that it's "dumber, with rubber skin" as described in the first film, that's a cools detail. I heard they were also present in the TV show The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but I never watched that show.

One negative from the movie is how the future portrayed in the movie doesn't exactly match the one created by James Cameron.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-02-2017

So today I watched this film called 'Lawrence of Arabia'.

The cinematography was stunning, even by today's standars. The score fits the perfectly the atmosphere of the movie. "nothing is written". The cast was excellent. Overall, I can confirm with no doubt that this is the best movie based on real events ever made.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-04-2017

So today I watched the original 'Alien vs. Predator' film as well as Jackie Chan's 'The medallon'.

Alien vs. Predator: As someone who has watched the Predator trilogy and had some prior knowledge of the Alien series (and therefore, the xenomorphs), I must say that the movie is actually pretty decent. On the upside, the action scenes are pretty good, the set design is fantastic and so is the creature desing. On the downside, the dialogue is lame, the story takes itself too seriously and overall whoever decided that giving this movie a PG-13 treatment was a good idea should be fired at the spot.

The Medallion : Plot-holes aside, who thougt that adding CGI to a Jackie Chan film was a good idea? Other than that Jackie Chan and Claire Forlani did a great job. The best advice I can give you before you watch this movie is that you shouldn't expect anything more but a fun action movie. Oh, and no matter what happens do NOT compare this film with either the Rush Hour or the Shangai series, because otherwise you are probably going to hate it.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-07-2017

So today I watched 'Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles'.

This movie was pretty diffferent in a good way. The general cast did a great job, the cinematography was stunning and the story was just heartwarming.

...why are you looking at me like that? No, I won't tell you more. Go and watch the movie instead.

RE: At the Movies! - CLXcool - 07-08-2017

How's baby driver?

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-08-2017

(07-08-2017, 11:47 AM)CLXcool Wrote: How's baby driver?

Never heard of that movie until now. The only thing I can say is that it seems to have high scores on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes.

So today I watched Jet Li's 'Cradle 2 the Grave'.

The movie promises to be a simple fun action movie and that's exactly what it delivers. The fight scenes are great, the comedy might not be your type but is there and DMX performance was fairly decent.

RE: At the Movies! - tatochypz - 07-09-2017

https://twitter.com/DeLuxODonnell92/status/883943348096180224
fuck sony

RE: At the Movies! - CLXcool - 07-09-2017

(07-09-2017, 07:59 AM)retr0pia75 Wrote: https://twitter.com/DeLuxODonnell92/status/883943348096180224
fuck sony

I think this can sum up my thoughts about this best
[Image: Qn7oYmr.gif]

RE: At the Movies! - tatochypz - 07-09-2017

(07-09-2017, 09:00 AM)CLXcool Wrote:
(07-09-2017, 07:59 AM)retr0pia75 Wrote: https://twitter.com/DeLuxODonnell92/status/883943348096180224
fuck sony

I think this can sum up my thoughts about this best
[Image: Qn7oYmr.gif]

https://twitter.com/retr0pia75/status/884032383011500033

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-09-2017

So today I watched the second Alien vs. Predator film as well as 'The VVitch: A New-England Folktale'.

AVPR: Aliens vs Predator - Requiem (aka Alien vs. Predator 2): Oh boy, what a mess. The first half of the movie consists of stupid and unfitting teenager clichés, dumb as hell dialogue and close to nothing else, then we reach the second half where it finally decides to get to the point .... the problem being that the second half simply lacks in tension; there was simply no sense of dread whatsoever. I'm sorry, but making the sequel R-rated won't magically make it better (and besides, making it R-rated it's just common sense, considering the nature of the two IPs).

The VVitch: A New-England Folktale: It was great. The characters are very believable and well acted. The lingering atmosphere is done incredibly well from the beginning, helped along by a combination of a tense score and the use of extended periods of silence. Lastly, whatever or not you believe in the supernatural aspect of this, the fact this movie was based on actual folktales and records just adds another layer of grimness, which is a good thing in this case.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-11-2017

So today I watched Leonardo Dicaprio's Blood Diamond.

It was great. The performances of the three main stars are impressive, and the violence is organic and fitting for what happened during that time period.

That is all.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-11-2017

So I just finished watching Robert De Niro's Taxi Driver.

It was excellent. I mean, what ins't there to like about this movie? Excellent actors, a good director, an impressive soundtrack and a disturbing yet powerful story make this film a winner. 10/10

What's the deal with the naming conventions of the Dirty Harry films? The titles of each film have nothing to do with the previous one, there's just no connection whatsoever. Why they couldn't just name them Dirty Harry 2,3,4... in fact, I rewatchted James Rolfe's video on confusing movie titles a week ago or so and, looking back, I'm surprised that the Dirty Harry films weren't mentioned.

RE: At the Movies! - gamemaster1991 - 07-12-2017

(07-11-2017, 09:18 PM)ZpaceJ0ck0 Wrote: What's the deal with the naming conventions of the Dirty Harry films? The titles of each film have nothing to do with the previous one, there's just no connection whatsoever. Why they could just name them Dirty Harry 2,3,4... in fact, I recently rewatchted James Rolfe's video on confusing movie titles and, looking back, I'm surprised that the Diry Harry films weren't mentioned.

The only reason that I knew about Dirty Harry's other four movies was because of The Spoony One. Never saw any of them, but I probably should get around to that. For those curious (and don't want to look it up) the order is Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact, and The Dead Pool.

On a simaler note, I can't tell the Bourne films apart from the title. Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum, Legacy, and Jason, with the only movie I know the order of is Jason Bourne. It's the only reason I've never seen the whole seires, since I can never tell which movie to watch. I don't think I would care so much if it was like James Bond where each movie is it's own stand alone, but I pretty sure that each movie caries on from the last.