VGFacts
At the Movies! - Printable Version

+- VGFacts (https://archive.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Other Discussions (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: At the Movies! (/thread-14.html)

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-13-2017

So today I watched Osmosis Jones (you know, the movie that served as the pilot for television series Ozzy & Drix) and George Clooney's 'Ocean's Eleven' (2001 remake).

Osmosis Jones: While is true that the live-action segments may came across as lethargic at worse to some, the animated segments is where the movie truly shines; being fun, imaginative and energetic. Also, Thrax is easily one of the best villians I've seen in the realm of western animation. I would love to explain why, but that would kill the fun, go and watch the movie instead.

Man, I need to rewatch Ozzy & Drix someday. I only have some really, really vague memories of watching the show as a kid.

Ocean's Eleven: That was fun and engrossing. The story moves smoothly with a great build up, Las Vegas looks great, the entire cast did a fine job and Steven Soderbergh directs the film with flair and inteligence. Overall; just sit back, grab your snacks and enjoy.

RE: At the Movies! - Kakariko Kid - 07-15-2017

No Escape: A man and his family moves from Austin, Texas to a country that borders Vietnam to start a new life. Shortly after arrival, the country is at war and he must keep his family alive. 

I found this to be a pretty good thriller. Plenty of blood. Owen Wilson proved that he can do well in a non-comedy. Pierce Brosnan was a decent supporting actor playing James Bond with a chip on his shoulder.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-15-2017

So today I watched George Clooney's The American and Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange.

The American: First of all let me warn you that this movie is not an blockbuster-style action film, but more akin to an Italian melodrama. The cinematography was great, Clooney's acting was pretty good and so was his chemistry with Violante Placido (Clara). Sure, Spoiler:we never actually find out about what the protagonist's character story is nor who is the one emlpying him, but that's not really the point of the movie; this is character study, this is about Jack/Edward's integrity as a human being . Overall, I found it quite decent, thought you might enjoy it more if you are into this kind of movies.

A Clockwork Orange: This is easily one of the most bizarre films I've ever seen. The characters, Malcolm McDowell's example of superior acting, it's style, the subject matter... this combination of elements creates an odd-yet-great whole that will stay with you for a long time.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-19-2017

So today I watched the "The Expendables" trilogy.

This trilogy is the perfect dream match for any action film junkie. The action scenes are really well made, the casting itself was fantastic, the plot while simplistic it worked and the references to the actors' previous films weren't forced. Overall, it was one hell of an explosive, fun, blood thirsty, proper action movie trilogy.

My favorite film has to be the second one, mostly because it has the best villian of the series.

RE: At the Movies! - Psychospacecow - 07-19-2017

I like that they had a dedicated scene leading into a Chuck Norris joke. It was cheesy as all hell, and I enjoyed it all the more for it.

RE: At the Movies! - CosmykTheDolfyn - 07-21-2017

I've been subjected to Get Hard with Will Ferrell twice over the past three days on long bus trips.
I want all the memories of Will's bare backside gone forever. Please. Lord help me forget. PLEASE!

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-21-2017

So today I watched the Quentin Tarantino films 'Reservoir Dogs' and 'The Hateful Eight'

Reservoir Dogs: It was awesome. The editing was genius. The story is pretty straightfoward and the mistery surrounding it is just amazing to watch. The violence was used pretty well in order to convey the character's presonalities (you'll understand what I mean once you watch it) and overall it simply has this "pure" atmosphere (little to no comic relief, no makeup, etc) that just makes it stand out more from other movies of the genre.

The Hateful Eight: Another awesome movie. The building of the tension was really well made. Everyone was fantastic, specially Samuel L. Jackson as Major Marquis Warren. The cinematography was amazing as well.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-23-2017

So I just finished watching Jet Li's 'Romeo Must Die'.

The movie promises to be nothing but a fun action film and that's exactly what it delivers. The story is simple yet effective and the mistery surrounding it was pretty decent. Aaliyah's performance was pretty good, and the acting of the supporting cast wasn't bad either. Lastly, Jet Li does what he does best.

If you are looking for some kick ass fun in order to spend the weekend then this is for you.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 07-26-2017

So yesterday I watched Ice Cube's "Boyz n the Hood" and Quentin Tarantino's "Inglorius Basterds".

Boyz n the Hood: It was great. The direction of the film is fluid and natural, the acting is award-worthy (specially that of Fishburne, Bassett, Chesnutt, Gooding, and Ice Cube), the character are believable and with good development and while some of of the comentary was made in an almost 'in-your-face' archetypal manner, some of said criticisms still hold up to this day. 

Inglorius Basterds: Man, this is the third most fun movie I've seen during the whole month. The spaghetti western vibe, dialogue and performances are wonderfully over the top. The suspense was really well made, specially on the first chapter. Pitt is actually brilliant here, exactly what he needs to be.

RE: At the Movies! - retrolinkx - 07-28-2017

Been getting my friend to watch films that he should've seen before (Such as Terminator 1 and 2). Been doing this for a month or so now, but recently we finished The Warriors and Pacific Rim. I'd recommend both of them if you haven't seen them already.

We've already seen Terminator 1 and 2, Both Ace Ventura films, Baseketball, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Dredd and Mad Max. Probably going to watch the rest of Terminator (minus Salvation) and then some dumb Schwarzenegger films like Last Action Hero and Kindergarten Cop.

Also adding onto this, the novel The Warriors is based off is fucked up. I'm talking about the main characters killing a man, then laying a girl on top of him so they can gang rape her, all while trying to escape dozens of gangs trying to kill them in New York.

RE: At the Movies! - CLXcool - 07-28-2017

Saw Spiderman Homecoming. All I can say is. Its about damn time we got a good Spiderman movie that 'felt' like a Spiderman movie.

RE: At the Movies! - YTSpunko - 08-05-2017

Moana was good. Great at executing Eric Goldberg's animation.

RE: At the Movies! - gamemaster1991 - 08-05-2017

Just got back from seeing Baby Driver. Man that is a bad.... title for a really good movie. It's a movie that centers around it's soundtrack and works it in great. To me, it was a feel good movie with some action in it.

BTW, the title comes from a Simon & Garfunkel song. Didn't know this until the song came on in the credits.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 08-13-2017

I'm looking for a Mexican movie about three dudes (the son of a business man and the thieves who were going to rob him) who got trapped in a elevator during a three-day holiday.

Does anyone know the name? I watched a small segment a year and a half ago and I can't remenber it.

RE: At the Movies! - Psychospacecow - 08-14-2017

Wish I could help ya there. Sounds like a funny movie.