VGFacts
At the Movies! - Printable Version

+- VGFacts (https://archive.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Other Discussions (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: At the Movies! (/thread-14.html)

RE: At the Movies! - SERIOUSLY THOUGH - 12-25-2017

(12-23-2017, 08:32 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: Frozen is, in my opinion, one of the the worst movies Disney has ever made but I LOVE Tangled.

Scuuuuuuuuuuuse me, m8 ??
What you saying about Frozen ?
*whispers to self* “let it go... let it go...”

Heart

RE: At the Movies! - Arjahn - 12-26-2017

Sorry purple rain but Frozen's pretty crummy, every 3D Disney movie's better than it. Hell I think every 3D Dreamworks movie's better than it.

RE: At the Movies! - SERIOUSLY THOUGH - 12-26-2017

(12-26-2017, 02:09 AM)Arjahn Wrote: Sorry purple rain but Frozen's pretty crummy, every 3D Disney movie's better than it. Hell I think every 3D Dreamworks movie's better than it.

Banned.

RE: At the Movies! - Hexadecimal - 12-26-2017

Finnish and German buddy had never seen the original Grinch so we fixed that the other day. They both liked it a lot and didn't want to stop. So, we continued on with one Darkwing Duck and two Batman Christmas episodes before ending with MST3K's Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

Also, allow me to present some evidence as to why Tangled is better than Frozen in every way:

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 12-26-2017

So today I watched Clint Eastwood's 'Mystic River'.

I should state that this is not a crime drama in the traditional sense of the word. While is true that the indentity of the killer plays a central role in the story, this movie is more akin to a character study, a movie about the behavioral patterns of human beings and what they are capable of. It's about highly flawed people triying to make the best of things in very difficult circumstances (in this case, the murder of someone close to you).

The acting was a 10/10, if I have to mention an specific example it would be Tim Robins, whose potrayal of a pained soul know as 'Dave Boyle' was spectacular. The direction of Clint Eastwood is just brilliant, allowing his cast ample time to develop their characters, never hurrying the proceedings along and always allowing the conversations to play themselves out. 

Honestly, I don't know what else I could say about this movie. I'm afraid that I might end telling you the whole thing in the process.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 12-27-2017

So today I watched the original Die Hard movie.

This is easily one of the most enjoyable christmas movies i've seen in a while (the movie constantly reminds you the events take place on christmas eve). A human protagonist (in the sense that while is true he is a one man army, he can still get hurt). The messy, unpolished atmosphere and the R-rated violence. Truly a thrill-ride from beginning to end.

From now on, I going to watch this movie every Christmas eve.

RE: At the Movies! - CLXcool - 12-27-2017

Saw The Shining a few days ago, needless to say. I was quite terrified. I know what I'm NOT watching again anytime soon.

RE: At the Movies! - SERIOUSLY THOUGH - 12-28-2017

(12-27-2017, 06:30 PM)CLXcool Wrote: Saw The Shining a few days ago, needless to say. I was quite terrified. I know what I'm NOT watching again anytime soon.

Is it The Shining ?

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 12-28-2017

(12-28-2017, 12:35 PM)SERIOUSLY THOUGH Wrote:
(12-27-2017, 06:30 PM)CLXcool Wrote: Saw The Shining a few days ago, needless to say. I was quite terrified. I know what I'm NOT watching again anytime soon.

Is it The Shining ?

But was it phone?

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 12-28-2017

So today I watched Clint Eastwood's 'The Outlaw Josey Wales'.

Almost every character is memorable and every performance fits in place. To name a specific example there is John Vernon as 'Fletcher'. His motivations and true intentions are never quite clear. He comes across as a bit of a Judas figure and yet he still retains his humanity, leading to the viewer to ultimaly judge the character for themselves.

The action is sudden and explosive and not always expected. The film takes many twists and turns, yet every twist is a natural consequence of the situations and characters in the film.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 12-30-2017

So today I watched Howard Hawks' 'Rio Bravo'. It was good, just some old school western action. My favorite character on the film has to be Dean Martin's role as 'Dude' (or 'Borachon'/Drunkard, as know by the Mexican characters). The guy battles with the demons that drove him to drink as he desperately tried not to let down Sheriff Chance (John Wayne) who believes in him more than he believes in himself. The scene where Spoiler:Dude is seen pouring back of a glass of bourbon into the bottle, in particular, is one of the most life affirming scenes I've seen in a while. That scene is so simple yet effective.

Related/unrelated: shoutuots to Stanley Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket' for introducing me to actor John Wayne (and by extension this movie) as well as Lawrance of Arabia earlier this year.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 01-04-2018

So today I watched Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner' and Mike Myer's Austin Powers (this time I made sure it was the first one rather than the second).

Blade Runner (theatrical cut): A science fiction film that it's about the ideas rather than gadgets, aliens, and spaceship battles (I'm not saying this type of sci-fi is bad per se, I'm just saying different experiences from time to time are good) . At first, people might be desatisfised with Harrinson Ford's lifeless performance as the replicant hunter Rick Deckard (aka the eponymous 'Blade Runner'). Well, that's part of the film expierence, part of the dehumanized existence in the story's setting. However, as the story unfolds, we see Ford's character slowly come alive again and recover some of his humanity.

As for the visual department, I'll say it is quite simply a science fiction triumph. I dare to say that it looks better than modern computer effects.

Looking foward to the sequel.

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery: Just some good ole raunchy humor. Nothing else can be said about this movie aside from the fact that Mike Myer's nailed it as the eponymous Austin Powers and Dr. Evil. If you are bored at home with nothing better then this movie should do the work.

RE: At the Movies! - Kakariko Kid - 01-06-2018

Pitch Perfect 3 - Things have changed. The most popular female singers have returned, the story telling has a changed formula but retains the comedy and a few familiar elements like the riff-off minus the males from the previous 2 movies. Add in DJ Khaled, John Lithgow, the USO, and even some action. I really enjoyed it. PP2 was too much like PP1, but PP3 stands out and ties them all together. Worth a watch.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 01-07-2018

So yesterday I watched 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2'.

I liked it. It was as good as the original 'Guardian of the Galaxy' film, if not better. Sadly, there's isn't really anything else I can say about this movie, other than the main cast is as charming as ever, and that SERIOUSLY's review was spot on and that I agree with it. Sorry.

Oh yeah, friendly reminder that you should stay for the credits.

P.S Can we talk about how obscure the Guardians were years ago? Back in the day, nobody knew about these guys outside of hardcore Marvel fans. Hell, I still remenber how everyone reacted to Rocket Racoon's inclusion in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (2011): ".... Ro... Rocket Rawho?! What waste of character slot!" How times have changed.

RE: At the Movies! - Hexadecimal - 01-08-2018

I watched Get Out. There is no way for me to say why I disliked it without spoilers, soooooo