VGFacts
At the Movies! - Printable Version

+- VGFacts (https://archive.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Other Discussions (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: At the Movies! (/thread-14.html)

RE: At the Movies! - gamemaster1991 - 01-08-2018

(01-08-2018, 09:16 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: I watched Get Out. There is no way for me to say why I disliked it without spoilers, soooooo

See, I liked the idea of this movie but I think I saw a different movie then the one people saw. What people described to me was an allegory of how black people are undermined and walked all over by the white people, but without spoiling the movie, it looked more like an empowering movie for black people. Yeah there was the scene where the police officer pulled over the girlfriend an asked to see the boyfriend's ID and the "subtle" speech the dad gives about running over all the deer, but in the end Spoiler:the reason the white people wanted to be in black bodies was because they saw them as better in every way. You can say that they see it as a fashion style (black is in and all that), but I'm pretty sure that they used the word "superior" when describing black people, with the example of Grandpa getting beaten by a black man at the Olympics being the reason he wanted a black body. Maybe it's white privilege, but I didn't see the allegory.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 01-14-2018

So yesterday I watched M. Night Shyamalan's "Split".

As someone who dislikes Shyamalan's works after "The Village", this one left a good impression in me.  It manages to maintain a lingering suspense throughout most of the movie, while other scenes were quite meaningful and touching. James McAvoy pretty much gave his best performance in his whole career. 

Basically, this film made me believe in Mr.Shyamalan's vision again ('The Visit' gave some hope for the future, but this? This film confirmed that said hope wasn't in vain).

Spoiler:Oh yeah, in anticipation of the upcoming "Glass" which is gonna be the last movie of a trilogy, I'm going to re-watch "Unbreakable". When? Soon enough, hopefully.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 01-18-2018

Alright guys, the following review must be read with the right theme in the background.

So I just finished watching John Hughes' "The Breakfast Club". I liked how each character told their stories with credibility and persistence, which leads to the character development. They all change, in one way or another, by the end of the film. Each menber of the main cast did a great job when it comes to the acting department, specially Judd Nelson (John Bender) and Emilio Estevez (Andrew Clark) who simply rise above the rest.

"The Breakfast Club" does not exist not for highschool kids, as some suggest. Why would they need it? They live there. It exists for all of us who have already been through there, who feel that they are above it now. It exists so that we can remember what it was like and better understand ourselves, and the next generation. Because you can't dismiss something you understand.

And last but not least, the humor. Personally, I didn't find it as funny as some people made out to be, but it was still up there.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 01-19-2018

So today I watched Richard Donner's 'The Goonies'.

It's a movie about adventures, childhood fantasies & creativity. The main cast did a good job on the acting department, especially Jeff Cohen as 'Chunk'. Robert Davi, Joe Pantoliano, and Anne Ramsey provide some pretty good villians as well. The sets were quite creative while we are at it.
This movie pretty much embodies the fantasy of many kids: going into an adventure with your friends and finding a treasures along the way.

Even if you haven't watched the movie when you were a kid, give it a shot. It's a good way to spend your evening (or morning in my case).

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 01-20-2018

[video=youtube]watch?v=ax8yb8LusZc[/video]

RE: At the Movies! - gamemaster1991 - 01-20-2018

(01-20-2018, 01:16 PM)ZpaceJ0ck0 Wrote:

Sean Astin AKA Mikey is also Bob Newby from Stranger Things

RE: At the Movies! - Berry - 01-20-2018

So, spent watching Captain Underpants movie with my sisters and... boy, did it completely sucked.

I enjoyed the books as a young kid but man did this movie really stick it in to how much the main characters are a bunch of dickheads. Everything was terrible from the voices to the "humor". My siblings liked it tho.

RE: At the Movies! - Kakariko Kid - 01-21-2018

(01-18-2018, 11:18 AM)ZpaceJ0ck0 Wrote: "The Breakfast Club"

(01-19-2018, 12:56 PM)ZpaceJ0ck0 Wrote: 'The Goonies'.

Those are 2 of my favorite movies. 2 thumbs up.

RE: At the Movies! - gamemaster1991 - 01-21-2018

I saw the It remake the other day. My opinion is that the original is scarier, but the remake hits beats that the original missed. Tim Curry knows how to be unsettling while still kinda being funny, while Bill Skarsgård knows how to play up the killer clown role by having fun with it.

If I can say something that no one is going to agree with me on, the kid who played Georgie is a good actor. Normally I don't like young kid actors because they suck and Georgie does have moments, but for the few scenes he's in, I think he did a really good job and was the reason a late scene is my favorite scene in the movie.

RE: At the Movies! - Arjahn - 01-22-2018

The Captain Underpants movie is fantastic and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 01-22-2018

So yesterday I saw Coco on theathers.

Quite the heart-warming experience, filled with great animation, wonderful music, brilliant writing, and creative models which brings out the best of Mexican culture. The movie took on themes like family, aspirations, and music. And they merged it marvelously with the Day of the Dead holiday in Mexico. 

A great movie overall. Go see it if you haven't.

RE: At the Movies! - Berry - 01-22-2018

(01-22-2018, 12:35 AM)Arjahn Wrote: The Captain Underpants movie is fantastic and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

...otherwise.

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 01-24-2018

So today I watched Al Pacino's "Scent of a Woman".

Pacino's potrayal of the blind Colonel Frank Slade is quite easily one of his most memorable performances, since it's not only convincing but touching. Not other actor would have nailed the role the way Mr.Paccino did. Chris O' Donnell performance as the shy and unsure Charlie Simms was good as well + it gave a good contrast to that of Pacino.

With that being said, I believe Frank's perception of the world is way too good to the point of being far-fetched. Don't take me wrong, I'm not saying that being blind=being oblivious to everything that is happening aruond you... but being so perceptive to the point of being able to tell if a character has pimples by just listening to his voice? You are not hampered by your blindness (Spoiler:which was the reason why Frank Slade wanted to kill himself in the first place), you are psychic! Also, the courtroom climax contains one of Pacino's most powerful monologues. However, its outcome is a bit melodramatic.

Overall, "Scent of a Woman" is a somewhat flawed, but effective and entertaining film. Hoo Ha!/10

RE: At the Movies! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 01-25-2018

So today I watched Yimou Zhang's 'The Great Wall' as well as Martin Scorcese's 'Goodfellas'.

The Great Wall: The acting was good, especially that of Matt Daimon. The effects were decent, but nothing out of the ordinary. The action scenes were done well. An entertaining action flick to enjoy at home overall.

Goodfellas: That was awesome. The performances in this film simply are simply great, especially those by Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci. The pacing is perfect; not too fast but neither too slow... is just perfect. The score fits every scene like hand in glove. Go see it if you haven't.

RE: At the Movies! - Berry - 01-25-2018

Blade Runner 2049.

Words cannot described how I felt when I watched this in the theatre. The first film was good(enough to make me go to sleep) but this second coming of Christ obliterated the first one in everything. EVERYTHING. The range in acting, cinematography, fight choreography, sound blends so damn well that I just can not fathom how the film crew could ever pull it off. Every scene has a purpose and the exposition is so few and far between to the point where the scene direction is so poignant and illustrative to the film benefits.

My fragile mind... I actually stuck around the credits just to envy and praise the wonderful people who had the good fortune to be apart of something so special.

If you haven't seen it already, do yourself a favor and go rent it, then purchase the digital copy, then buy the DVD, Blu-ray copy, then the 4K copy, steal a 4K TV if you don't have one and watch it. Finally, take the week off and take in what you just watch and just let go of your emotions. Just straight up cry, man.