VGFacts
The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Printable Version

+- VGFacts (https://archive.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Land of the Locked (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: General Poop (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* (/thread-23.html)

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Zaliphone - 03-17-2014

Can someone explain to me why they keep rereleasing fighting games with slightly altered titles? How much do they change in the different versions that justifies a 'new' release?

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Mass Distraction - 03-17-2014

Fighting game pros. That's your answer right there.

Reworked balances mean the world in that scene.

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - BumblebeeCody - 03-17-2014

(03-17-2014, 08:53 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote: Fighting game pros. That's your answer right there.

Reworked balances mean the world in that scene.

Pretty much this.

The genre itself is heavily based on how the game operates. Something that pretty much, no other genre even touches on to be good at. I'm talking about hitbox and frame data.
For example:
Super Street Fighter 4:
[Image: 17_blog01.jpg]
Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition:
[Image: 17_blog02.jpg]

The top image shows that Ryus Hitbox(The red one. The space the attack occupies) came out further than his hurtbox(the area that the character occupies).
This basically meant that in SSFIV, Ryu could stick his leg out with his body safe from harm should the opponent try to challenge; making it a very good poke tool(a safe move to throw out).

The second image represents a "nerf"(A downgrade on the character). In SSFIV:AE Capcom change Ryu hotbox data so that if you now stick the crouching medium kick out, there a chance that you'll trade (both hit each other at the same time). This is a nerf because the person playing Ryu can't constantly throw this move out since his hurtbox(where you can hit him) now extends past the hitbox of the attack(the red box) . There is a risk that you could take damage and thus, this isn't as much of a viable tool anymore. It's still good, but it means other characters can now challenge you in a poking match(trying hit each other with moves that have little to no recovery). If you also look closely, you can see the size of the redbox is actually made slightly larger meaning it can hit higher than it's previous game version.

However, the animation properties changed. The screenshot shows what the game is processing at that very specific frame(of a game running at 60FPS).
The new frame data is:
The active frames were reduced by 2, from 5 frames to 3 frames, plus there area you can be hit was made larger. Total frames also reduced, from 23F to 21F.

This means that even though Ryu took a HITBOX nerf in SSFIV:AE you can now throw the move out quicker. But the active frames(how long the move stays out for (in frames)) was reduced.
With this change, the move doesn't last as long but comes out quicker with the chance you could get a trade with the opponent.
This is all just for one move

This is just one of the many changes that comes with "ultra super duper rainbow edition Street Fighter 4:[insert rest of overused joke]". They completely change how some characters play to the point that they can go from mid tier(average characters) to being in the top best 3 characters in the entire game.
Cammy for example is a character that went from average to quite possible the best character in the game.
Reasons:
Her damage output. Her stamina. Her amazing pokes and combo potential. Her wake up game, mixups and how she fares against every other character in the game.
Her Frame Data
^^^ All that gibberish resulted in her being incredible in SSFIVAE:2012. Ultra looks to change that while keep her essence there.

TL;DR
Because some characters are too strong while others aren't. Capcom, please hand out them nerfs and buffs.
When is Marvel?

Again, if you don't play fighting games, it's just a cheap shallow cash-in with a new adjective/noun added on the name. But it's so much more than that. All these even applied to the most early of fighting games. When we had SF2: Hyper Fighting on SNES followed by Super 2:Turbo. It wasn't just 4 new characters, it was a huge update with how characters operate but obviously a lot of people don't see it that indepth. Every single fighting game follows the same rules.
SSFIVAE:2012 as we know it is about to change in a dramatic way. It's going to be huge and completely new game. Remember as well, the last Street Fighter game (Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012) was 3 years ago. We need this update.

Isn't that something that could be fixed in a free patch? Or am I just being blasphemous here? It does sound like a ton of work to rework a bunch of small things, so I guess it's kind of justified.

(03-17-2014, 04:36 PM)Zaliphone Wrote: Isn't that something that could be fixed in a free patch? Or am I just being blasphemous here? It does sound like a ton of work to rework a bunch of small things, so I guess it's kind of justified.

Not really. It is a fair point. That's the thing, this is a patch.
In terms of games we have
Street Fighter 4(2009) and Super Street Fighter 4(2010) and that's it. The only copy of the game you need is Super Street Fighter 4. All of the expansions/update/Capcom nerf fests are add-ons for Super Street Fighter 4. However each patch overrides the previous version.

When you load Super Street Fighter 4 you can download Arcade Edition(a completely new game) which is the next update to SSFIV. That costs money. However Arcade Edition 2012 is a free patch with balance changes(because not many people liked Arcade Edition changes so they added a free update to balance the game but no new characters). With Ultra Street Fighter 4, again all you'll need is the disc for SSFIV and the update will be applied.
(You can change which version you're playing from the menu).

All of this or you could buy the retail version of Arcade Edition and Ultra SFIV and apply the updates that way. Same thing. Just everyone pretty much has SSFIV.

As for it being free, I honestly don't mind paying for the next Street Fighter 4. There's a lot of work going into the balance changes which takes months of work for the Capcom guys to do, combined with us getting 5 characters/music and stages(even though they are copy paste from SFxT(But we don't talk about that game)). Plus, when Capcom know people hate the update they do give us free patches. Arcade Edition 2012 is a free patch and has been tournament standard for the last 3 years.
It's really only justified for those who see the value in this genre.
Also worth noting that Super Street Fighter 4 was last full retail game. All patches are around £12($9.99). Ultra will cost £30/$40(retail) with the DLC version for SSFIV being $15.

Thanks for the answer. That's some really interesting and weird stuff. I've never been big into fighting games that aren't Smash Bros, so this is all foreign to me.

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - retrolinkx - 03-17-2014

The main reason I like Soulcalibur is that it's one of those few games that are so broken in mechanics that it's fun.

Play as Nightmare, and spam Y and Right, and you're golden.

Hell, Cervantes even had a move where he slices through your body and throws you, I used to hit my opponents to the end of the ring and throw them out using that move.

(03-17-2014, 05:00 PM)Zaliphone Wrote: Thanks for the answer. That's some really interesting and weird stuff. I've never been big into fighting games that aren't Smash Bros, so this is all foreign to me.

No problem. Smash Bros follows the same rules as Street Fighter too. Not every game uses hitboxes. Tekken and Mortal Kombat for example don't. They have their own model data but every fighting game ever(even Shaq Fu) follow the importance or frame data.
Smash Bros Melee does. For example:
There's reasons why Marth is considered quite possibly one of the best in the game(top 5)
[Image: MarthDTilt.gif?t=1283113984]
That move is OP as hell. The speed and range of his hitbox is crazy.

(03-17-2014, 05:14 PM)retrolinkx Wrote: The main reason I like Soulcalibur is that it's one of those few games that are so broken in mechanics that it's fun.

Play as Nightmare, and spam Y and Right, and you're golden.

Hell, Cervantes even had a move where he slices through your body and throws you, I used to hit my opponents to the end of the ring and throw them out using that move.

Just play Link. Instant win. Kinda odd how Xbox LIVE and PSN got a HD remake for their console but Wii U didn't. I know why they didn't, but if Wii U did get the HD remake the other consoles did, ah man would Link be awesome to play.
Also, Viola in SCV is cheap as hell.

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - PixelXenoKing - 03-17-2014

Injustice is the best fighting game and the one im best at. I thought i was good at marvel since i always best high ranks but i played cody and got my ass handed to me. Tekken is also awesome but i was never amazing but i have a pretty good ratio in TR. Actually i have a really good ratio on every fighting game. Injustice: W: 217, L: 49. Marvel W:43, L:19. TR (Tekken Revolution) W:17, L:7. The new characters in the new street fighter are good but im only looking forward to rolento.

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Psychospacecow - 03-17-2014

I'm one of those people that thinks they're good at fighting games until they go online or reach the difficulty curve in campaign. Speaking of which, I really hate what they did in SCV. I want to play as Kilik dang it, not wants to be Goku, not random character wearing a mask that is Kilik but in all the wrong ways, Kilik.

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - BumblebeeCody - 03-18-2014

(03-17-2014, 10:29 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: I'm one of those people that thinks they're good at fighting games until they go online or reach the difficulty curve in campaign. Speaking of which, I really hate what they did in SCV. I want to play as Kilik dang it, not wants to be Goku, not random character wearing a mask that is Kilik but in all the wrong ways, Kilik.

Some are just amazing though.

[Image: zoidberg_528_poster.jpg]

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - retrolinkx - 03-18-2014

I remember I made Snake and Liquid from MGS1 and made them fight, and literally since the fist moves are from Tekken, he could do shit like turn into a flying dragon and K.O. each other, and I was just like.

"I bet Otacon told the fight in MGS to everyone just like this, that Snake "Flew into the air, sprouted wings and punched the living daylights out of Liquid"."

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Psychospacecow - 03-18-2014

I meant how they turned Kilik into a random style character. You seriously don't need 3 of them, and the fact that they turned an established character into one, especially since I mained Kilik, doesn't help. I hate that kid that replaced him. He plays differently, more like Seong mi-na (I think that's spelled right).

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Zaliphone - 03-18-2014

I just beat the main mission to Ground Zeroes and holy hell was it awesome. The ending actually had me wide-eyed and completely shocked. It was absolutely worth the money I spent on it. I'm definitely going to try and beat all of the Side-Ops and complete the game.

4/5, just get it already!

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - BumblebeeCody - 03-19-2014

(03-18-2014, 05:22 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: I meant how they turned Kilik into a random style character. You seriously don't need 3 of them, and the fact that they turned an established character into one, especially since I mained Kilik, doesn't help. I hate that kid that replaced him. He plays differently, more like Seong mi-na (I think that's spelled right).

Ah OK. That's pretty understandable. A few characters had their son/daughter replace them.

(03-18-2014, 06:32 PM)Zaliphone Wrote: I just beat the main mission to Ground Zeroes and holy hell was it awesome. The ending actually had me wide-eyed and completely shocked. It was absolutely worth the money I spent on it. I'm definitely going to try and beat all of the Side-Ops and complete the game.

4/5, just get it already!

Sounds promising. :B