VGFacts
The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Printable Version

+- VGFacts (https://archive.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Land of the Locked (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: General Poop (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* (/thread-23.html)

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Ghost Nappa - 05-27-2013

Everything's okay now. For some reason, my membership started today instead of yesterday.

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Antwan - 05-27-2013

Call of Duty: Ghosts. True next gen technology! (This is a jab at Activision, not the XBox One, so please don't mention it.)

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Combat Lobster - 05-27-2013

(05-27-2013, 08:37 PM)Antwan Wrote: -Fish-

Call of Duty: Ghosts. True next gen technology! (This is a jab at Activision, not the XBox One, so please don't mention it.)

Mario 64 is next gen. [Image: fyhMukh.gif] (Also, it's the Xbone good sir.)

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - RyeoNox - 05-28-2013

(05-27-2013, 08:37 PM)Antwan Wrote: Call of Duty: Ghosts. True next gen technology! (This is a jab at Activision, not the XBox One, so please don't mention it.)

Have the technology to make realistic faces, made a game about people in masks.

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - BumblebeeCody - 05-28-2013

(05-28-2013, 07:46 AM)RyeoNox Wrote:
(05-27-2013, 08:37 PM)Antwan Wrote: Call of Duty: Ghosts. True next gen technology! (This is a jab at Activision, not the XBox One, so please don't mention it.)

Have the technology to make realistic faces, made a game about people in masks.
Have the technology to make realistic faces, made a game with a strong emphasis on dogs.

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Hexadecimal - 05-28-2013

Tch... I'm not saying that I certainly don't think there's issues with how women are portrayed in video games, but I really wonder just what some lady who's doing these tropes against women videos thinks the "ideal" video game lady should be.

She actually mentioned Kaya from Devil Summoner because you have to fight her after she's possessed by a Raidou from a different time period. Kaya ends up fine and dandy after all is said and done. She really should bring up scenarios where, if it had been a young man instead, she wouldn't be bringing it up. I wish she'd focus more on situations that happen in games just because the character is a woman.

I really didn't appreciate how, in Haunting Ground, everyone was after Fiona's uterus. The game was so much fun how you had to solve puzzles and have Hewie help you get out of the castle, but then there's character's chasing after you because you look like a "dolly", she's jealous because she can't have a baby like you, and then of course there's the fella who is actually your uncle who wants to forcibly impregnate you so he can enter the baby's body since his is failing.

Is it the FEAR games that have Alma (or something like that)? I know that there's a part where the male character is actually raped by her, but it certainly isn't presented in a way that's "sexy" like some women's situations are. I'm pretty sure the scene has the male character drifting in and out and you only get an idea of what's happening.

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Psychospacecow - 05-28-2013

(05-28-2013, 04:35 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: Tch... I'm not saying that I certainly don't think there's issues with how women are portrayed in video games, but I really wonder just what some lady who's doing these tropes against women videos thinks the "ideal" video game lady should be.

She actually mentioned Kaya from Devil Summoner because you have to fight her after she's possessed by a Raidou from a different time period. Kaya ends up fine and dandy after all is said and done. She really should bring up scenarios where, if it had been a young man instead, she wouldn't be bringing it up. I wish she'd focus more on situations that happen in games just because the character is a woman.

I really didn't appreciate how, in Haunting Ground, everyone was after Fiona's uterus. The game was so much fun how you had to solve puzzles and have Hewie help you get out of the castle, but then there's character's chasing after you because you look like a "dolly", she's jealous because she can't have a baby like you, and then of course there's the fella who is actually your uncle who wants to forcibly impregnate you so he can enter the baby's body since his is failing.

Is it the FEAR games that have Alma (or something like that)? I know that there's a part where the male character is actually raped by her, but it certainly isn't presented in a way that's "sexy" like some women's situations are. I'm pretty sure the scene has the male character drifting in and out and you only get an idea of what's happening.

Don't listen to the crack pot of controversy. On her first episode, she sites the chick from double dragons neon as a bad damsel in distress.
This is a big spoiler though I figure if you haven't played it yet, then you won't but this is how Double Dragon Neon ends.

Unpause at about 11:03, and that is the final boss btw.

^ I actually watched Matt and Woolie play it and I'm pretty tempted to actually try buying the game online since it looked so fun. It's a bit shallow that she falls for whatever dude is the toughest if you're playing 2 player mode, but it's nothing to get upset about.

It would be interesting though if a game was made where you play as the so called "damsel in distress" and manage to free yourself and beat the baddy just before the hero shows up and just be like "What took you so long?".

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Combat Lobster - 05-28-2013

(05-28-2013, 04:35 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: -Wall of text-

I've seen the first episode and I wonder why did this require money to make? (Unless it was to pay for video editing classes.) Personally, her arguments didn't seem to sway me one way or the other; guess I'm just a Shogen-ous pig.

Though someone posted a counter-argument that seemed more convincing. (And it costed nothing to make.)

(05-28-2013, 08:19 PM)Lightmatt Wrote:

I've seen the first episode and I wonder why did this require money to make? (Unless it was to pay for video editing classes.) Personally, her arguments didn't seem to sway me one way or the other; guess I'm just a Shogen-ous pig.

Though someone posted a counter-argument that seemed more convincing. (And it costed nothing to make.)

Money? What money do you need to talk in front of a computer and throw in game clips here and there?

Unfortunately her good points are overshadowed by her silly ones and I have to wonder if she played the games all the way through to get the proper context. She also seems to throw a fit anytime that a lady is in danger or needs to be rescued. She mentioned Psychonauts! Raz has to save the entire camp! Why is it a big deal that ladies are included in that?!

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - Combat Lobster - 05-28-2013

(05-28-2013, 08:24 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: Money? What money do you need to talk in front of a computer and throw in game clips here and there?

Apparently whatever money she made from dat kickstarter she was running. (It seems it was meant for high-production equipment. Which I guess validates her opinion. Not like the message would suffer any if it isn't of a Hollywood caliber.)

(05-28-2013, 08:24 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote:
(05-28-2013, 08:19 PM)Lightmatt Wrote:

Money? What money do you need to talk in front of a computer and throw in game clips here and there?

Unfortunately her good points are overshadowed by her silly ones and I have to wonder if she played the games all the way through to get the proper context. She also seems to throw a fit anytime that a lady is in danger or needs to be rescued. She mentioned Psychonauts! Raz has to save the entire camp! Why is it a big deal that ladies are included in that?!

Ya gotta realize Hex, there are feminists, then there are those who learned at a young age that if they shout enough, they get what they want because they are female. When you see this kind of stuff, its usually only hurting any pretext about feminism, ironic as it may be.

^ Oh, I know, but what's upsetting is that she isn't helping any of us lady gamers get more titles with us in mind. If she keeps this up she's just going to hurt us in the long run.

It is a really good idea to point out the real sexism in games but you can't go turning mountains into molehills. Why didn't she go out and interview lady gamers to get their opinions in there as well?

(05-28-2013, 08:48 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: ^ Oh, I know, but what's upsetting is that she isn't helping any of us lady gamers get more titles with us in mind. If she keeps this up she's just going to hurt us in the long run.

It is a really good idea to point out the real sexism in games but you can't go turning mountains into molehills. Why didn't she go out and interview lady gamers to get their opinions in there as well?

Its a pushed view, an opinion can drastically injure that. Thing is, we'd be less off without the sexism to begin with. Why should we make our villains into angels? If there is such a thing present in a game, it is only to illustrate the views of the character and nothing more. I suppose a good example would be Elly and Moxxi from Borderlands. Elly is a fat empowered girl who lives out in the wastes near two warring bandit tribes, because she does not like Moxxi's way of life, with dresses, and keeping track of her figure, the bar, etc. Moxxi is all for it, and doesn't understand why her daughter is not,and though she supports her, she is still disappointed.
If gaming truly be an art then it be an art where all views best be left unaltered. Removing sexism only weakens that which we hold in its power. Hell, the Teen Titans cartoon had an episode about racism.

RE: The Free Thread *Gaming Related* - BumblebeeCody - 05-29-2013

(05-28-2013, 08:48 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: ^ Oh, I know, but what's upsetting is that she isn't helping any of us lady gamers get more titles with us in mind. If she keeps this up she's just going to hurt us in the long run.

Because nobody likes her and wouldn't wanna be seen with such a toolbag.