VGFacts
The gaming related ventilation thread! - Printable Version

+- VGFacts (https://archive.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Gaming Discussions (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Gaming Discussion (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: The gaming related ventilation thread! (/thread-378.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - ZpaceJ0ck0 - 04-16-2017

The idea of "wasted" character slots needs to die, if you don't like a character don't bother the people who do like it, that won't help the character you like to get in the game anyway.

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - Colossus - 04-26-2017

I'm pretty pissed off that Puyo Puyo Tetris has an Endless Puyo mode, but no Endless Tetris mode.
The Tetris DS had Endless once you cleared 20 levels. This one you only have 15 levels and that's it.
There is a 3 minute mode, but I want my damn Endless!
You messed up Sega. (Plus the story mode is crap and all of the voice acting is annoying as hell).
OTHERWISE.... I do like the game.
Digital purchase > Physical on this one. $10 less on Switch for digital and 1GB download.
Give us Virtual Console and we MIGHT be fine once I get a good Tetris game back.

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - retrolinkx - 04-27-2017

So, I bought Shenmue for £55 a few weeks ago. I wanted to own it, and apart from the sleeve in comes in it was in a good condition.

Turns out that you can get a MINT CONDITION OF SHENMUE FOR £42 IN FUCKING CEX OF ALL PLACES

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SSEGDREG144A#.WQHxH9y1vDc

I mean, CEX of ALL THE FUCKING PLACES are UNDERSELLING this game. I'm assuming it doesn't come with the sleeve since it apparently adds £20 to it, but damn. That's really annoying since I thought £55 was a decent deal considering that Shenmue is pretty expensive these days.

If anyone is wondering if they should buy it, this is a good price for it if it comes in a sleeve.

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - RepentantSky - 05-04-2017

I'm sorry but whoever decided when making Dragon Quest Heroes II, you need to pull your weapons out when fighting a boss or an enemy that has a health gauge needs to leave development forever. Because of that, it's way too fucking easy to get hit by slow moving powerful spells, and it gets in the way when you decide you don't want to fight said enemy, and often can lead to you taking damage you shouldn't have to because of how much it slows you down. It's like they realized the game was too easy, so they had to slow you down in order to force you to get hit, so you'd have to train more, so the game would take more time to beat. It's easily the worst mechanic I've ever seen in any game.

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - gamemaster1991 - 05-13-2017

Can I ask what the reasoning is to change the names of spells and items for RPGs? Why can't a healing spell be call heal or cure or something like that. Why can't a healing potion be called a health drink or whatever? Now if you want to make food into health and drinks into mana, I'm fine with that, but when you give me an item with a weird name and no description, I have to turn to guides just to understand what they do and that really bugs me.

Phantasy Star II has a healing spell called Res which I guess stands for resurrect which kinda makes sence but what does Ryuka, GiFoi, and Ner stand for. This also goes for Dimate, the potion of this game. And what bothers me the most is that in the first game, there were techniques called heal, cure, fire, ECT, so they changed them just to make the alien world more alien. This is one of the many things that makes me not like this game as much as the first.

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - Arjahn - 05-17-2017

(05-13-2017, 02:14 PM)gamemaster1991 Wrote: Can I ask what the reasoning is to change the names of spells and items for RPGs? Why can't a healing spell be call heal or cure or something like that. Why can't a healing potion be called a health drink or whatever? Now if you want to make food into health and drinks into mana, I'm fine with that, but when you give me an item with a weird name and no description, I have to turn to guides just to understand what they do and that really bugs me.

Phantasy Star II has a healing spell called Res which I guess stands for resurrect which kinda makes sence but what does Ryuka, GiFoi, and Ner stand for. This also goes for Dimate, the potion of this game. And what bothers me the most is that in the first game, there were techniques called heal, cure, fire, ECT, so they changed them just to make the alien world more alien. This is one of the many things that makes me not like this game as much as the first.

Oh man my favorite is when they name vastly different spells similar yet entirely meaningless names just to mess with your head.

Well you see Shock is a low level single target lightning spell whereas Shocka is a high level single target spell and Shockaka is a very high level single target spell and Shockakaka is a master level single target spell and Shockala is an area of effect spell of course it's not nearly as strong as Shockalacka which is a high level AoE spell and Shockanaka provides you with temporary resistance to Shock damage while Shockamaka empower's an ally with additional Shock damage

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - Kakariko Kid - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 01:45 AM)Arjahn Wrote:
(05-13-2017, 02:14 PM)gamemaster1991 Wrote: Can I ask what the reasoning is to change the names of spells and items for RPGs? Why can't a healing spell be call heal or cure or something like that. Why can't a healing potion be called a health drink or whatever? Now if you want to make food into health and drinks into mana, I'm fine with that, but when you give me an item with a weird name and no description, I have to turn to guides just to understand what they do and that really bugs me.

Oh man my favorite is when they name vastly different spells similar yet entirely meaningless names just to mess with your head.

Well you see Shock is a low level single target lightning spell whereas Shocka is a high level single target spell and Shockaka is a very high level single target spell and Shockakaka is a master level single target spell and Shockala is an area of effect spell of course it's not nearly as strong as Shockalacka which is a high level AoE spell and Shockanaka provides you with temporary resistance to Shock damage while Shockamaka empower's an ally with additional Shock damage

That is probably the funniest thing I read all day. Of course, when you got to Shockaka, I started thinking of Ace Ventura running between 2 warring tribes carrying that albino bat. Thanks for that.

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - Psychospacecow - 05-17-2017

I like the names in Dragon Quest for spells. Bang. Boom. Kaboom. Kaboomle.

Zam. Zammle. Kazam. Kazammle.

Zap. Zapple. Kazap. Kazapple.

Sizz. Sizzle. Kasizz. Kasizzle.

Whack. Thwack. Kathwack.

All the damage spells sounds like some writer just going at it!

Then you get the other spells.

Evac to evac. Zoom to zoom to another town. Heal,Midheal,Moreheal,Fullheal,Multiheal,Omniheal because heals need to be serious.

Zing and Kazing because reviving someone from the dead is serious, but damn it, that's so cool.

Sheen removes curses, because curses turn you to stone, and you're getting polished.

Cock-A-Doodle-Doo wakes you up.

OOMPH! BUFF! KABUFF! aCCELERATE! INSULATE! BOUNCE! SNUB!

:D Its like the storyteller's someone's grandpa trying to entertain the kids.

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - CLXcool - 05-18-2017

So I began playing Tropical Freeze. Man. Retro studios really went out of their way to make things challenging in terms of finding the puzzle pieces.

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - Psychospacecow - 05-21-2017

MY GOD Xenoverse 2 really loves for you to fight metal coolers. A Frieza Force Invasion event happened today from 10-12 whatever timezone the game runs off of (sure as hell wasn't mine), and you can get Dodoria, Zarbon, Guldo, Jeice, Burter, Recoome, Captain Ginyu, Fireza, Golden Frieza, and Metal Cooler tracksuits by beating them.

You can fight all of the people listed above as well as the generics Appule, Raspberry, Navel, Orlen, and generic Time Patrollers. I killed a dozen Metal Coolers, 3 Golden Friezas, and literally nothing else showed up over the course of the hour and a half I was helping out.

edit : turns out, it was a special raid because Golden Frieza and Metal Cooler are rare without that one existing.

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - retrolinkx - 05-24-2017

For some reason Blizzard thought it'd be a great idea to end comp early. Since I usually do my placements last since I fucking despise comp with a passion. I had to rush through 10 games today.

My friend couldn't help me with this, so I had to Solo queue it.

Holy fuck shit what an absolute mess. 6 losses, 1 draw, 3 wins. Three fucking games I was matched with a team of diamonds meanwhile I was with Platinum's.

I got 2801 out of it, and it makes sense. It really is just awful. You need another person to play with just so you know someone has your back, someone on your team is good. Otherwise you're going to get people who are just awful. They don't communicate, they don't pick good classes. They hardly group up.

The only games I won where games with A LOT of communication in them. The ones I lost barely had people talking.

Group up with people if you want to get good at comp. Doing it solo is suicide.

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - retrolinkx - 06-02-2017

I've been playing Phantasy Star 1 for no real reason, I got around halfway through it and I've always found the music to be very bad I guess. It's composed in a very nice way, but it suffers from being old. It's choppy, scratchy and distorted.

So, I've been playing Phantasy Star with this soundtrack.

Apparently, back in the 80's Sega released an FM Sound module for the Sega Mark 3 (which was just the Master System) it never came to America or Europe, so the Japanese were lucky enough to get this, while we weren't.

It's annoying since Phantasy Star has a decent soundtrack, but it suffers from it's technology being really shitty in comparison to the Famicom.

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - Arjahn - 06-06-2017

Oh man that reminds me of Cave Story, since it has 30 different releases and they decided to release a dozen different soundtracks. I played through on the Wii version, which has phenomenal tracks, like some of the best I've ever heard. 

And then I grabbed the version for the DS and the soundtrack is just... bleh. Why you gotta do that guys :(

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - retrolinkx - 06-09-2017

^

You sure about that, buddy?

I just gave a listen to the Wii soundtracks and they sound pretty bad, with the exception of tracks like Mimiga Town.

Compare the remastered Labyrinth Fight (my favourite song and part of the game)

To the Wii Version.

It sounds like Mega Man. This would've been fine for a DS game, but not a Wii Ware title.

It does well for soft music tracks, but falls pretty hard on actual fast paced music tracks.

RE: The gaming related ventilation thread! - tatochypz - 06-18-2017

i hate donkey kong 64 so much
it's the worst, more frustrating aspects of collectathon games rolled into enormous tedious slog