VGFacts
Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - Printable Version

+- VGFacts (https://archive.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Main (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Discussion (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-17.html)
+---- Forum: Trivia Disputes (https://archive.vgfacts.com/forum-15.html)
+---- Thread: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? (/thread-759.html)

Pages: 1 2

Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - Arjahn - 08-15-2013

Sorry if this seems a little blunt, but I get irritated when I see these.
[Image: tumblr_mrlrt1lQ3H1rw70wfo1_500.png]

This is just speculation and really basic speculation at that. It's not legitimate trivia or even a well thought out theory. At least it's not as bad as "This guy freed slaves and his name is also Abe! Post dat sheet!"

Also, taking an arrow to the knee has been used in several works of literature for centuries, including Gulliver's Travels ("and before I could get far enough into the sea, discharged an arrow which wounded me deeply on the inside of my left knee")
Even beyond that, the fact that an arrow would hit one body part on the front of the human body eventually hardly warrants this whole obsession, but I'll save that rant for two years ago.

Again, sorry for the negativity, it's just annoying to see this stuff pop up.

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - Psychospacecow - 08-16-2013

I'm alright with it when its the ditto theories but this seems to be a serious stretch over a loose correlation.

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - gamemaster1991 - 08-16-2013

Normally I would disagree with you on this. It's a book that was released (I guess) after the game and wanted to be "funny" by adding a(n over used) meme. However, there is room to doubt the trivia. For All we know the book says ""I took an arrow in the knee and it hurt really bad." To me it would be like if in Assassin's Creed II, Ezio said "My uncle Mario thought me how to be an assassin with help from his brother" and that be a reference to the Mario Brothers.

For it to be a quote from Skyrim (to me at lest), it would have to say "I took an arrow to the knee on my way through the Eld three summers ago, as such I needed to end my career as an adventurer." This way it references "I used to be an adventurer like you but then I took an arrow to my knee" in a "clever" way.

I would say that unless auther says that this was his intended, I don't think it's right.

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - Mass Distraction - 08-17-2013

^One thing, Gamemaster. The trivia itself states that the book came before the game. Otherwise I do agree with ya.

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - gamemaster1991 - 08-17-2013

Okay I know nothing about Skyrim except for everything that people have told me. So I did some research. The book came out in 2007 and Skyrim in 2011. That's fine and okay. That is plenty of time to put the line in the game as a reference. What I have to question is the line itself. Why this line? It's not funny. It's not memorable. to my knowledge, it's not all that famous before Skyrim. So why quote it? We have games that reference Yoda at the final battle, describing a hat as being "bigger on the inside, and quotes from the bible all over the place. Looking at the sentance, it's nothing speacal besides telling the reader "I took an arrow in the knee" and moving on.

The reason the line "I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee" is so popular is because it is an unusual "filler line." Filler lines are just there to have the NPC say something and immerse you into the game. Normally it's things like "Hi there, Adventurer" and "You better not start trouble." As for this line, it's said by almost every NPC in the game, that it is funny. Why do we have all these former adventurers with knee injorys? It "funny." That's why it's quoted. Think about it like this. What if only one person said it in the game? You went to the first town and some where in your quest, someone says "I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee" and that's it. We would not pay any atacion to the quest giver and we would be on our way to find Notch's pickaxe and slay Mario the dragon.

This is also not one of those facts that have two ideas of where it comes from, like Luigi's name coming from "Mario and Luigi's Pizza" and a pun off of Ruiji. It has been proven that the line is an in-joke on how this is the first ES to not have Knee Armor, so you could you could take an arrow to the knee (Contributed by Hessian). The book may have the line but does it say anything else to make us think that it can go with this peace of trivia? Does he say that he gave up being a hero after this? Does he settel down after the arrow?

I bring up my point from my lasy post. Unless it said "I took an arrow to the knee on my way through the Eld three summers ago, as such I needed to end my career as an adventurer," I don't think it's a reference. You can have someone in BioShock Infinite say "I saw Zelda in the garden this morning" but it won't make it a reference to the Legend of Zelda.

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - DidYouKnowGaming - 08-18-2013

(08-15-2013, 11:01 PM)Arjahn Wrote: It's not legitimate trivia

Might want to look up what trivia means. Hypotheses and theories are trivia. The site isnt' called ObjectiveFactsGaming.com

The timing is right for the book to have had an impact. It's a popular fantasy book that came out as the game was being developed.

I post what I find interesting. If you don't like it, tough.

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - gamemaster1991 - 08-18-2013

(08-18-2013, 05:34 PM)DidYouKnowGaming Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 11:01 PM)Arjahn Wrote: It's not legitimate trivia

Might want to look up what trivia means. Hypotheses and theories are trivia. The site isnt' called ObjectiveFactsGaming.com

The timing is right for the book to have had an impact. It's a popular fantasy book that came out as the game was being developed.

I post what I find interesting. If you don't like it, tough.

Trivia - "derived from the word 'Trivial' meaning 'of little worth or importance, commonplace, ordinary.' Used to describe an unimportant fact, matter, or detail."

Wow that really does not help. I still stand by the "facts backing up the trivia," but I know better than to argue with one of the few people that could remove me from my favorite site. Do what you want.

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - DidYouKnowGaming - 08-18-2013

I wouldn't remove anyone from this site for criticizing it. Implying that I would doesn't help your argument.

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - gamemaster1991 - 08-18-2013

(08-18-2013, 06:00 PM)DidYouKnowGaming Wrote: I wouldn't remove anyone from this site for criticizing it. Implying that I would doesn't help your argument.

I was not saying you would. Just saying you could remove me if I was being a pain to everyone, including you. Just stating a fact (Pun not intended). I normally put my foot in my mouth any way so I normally get my self in trouble without knowing it.

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - Arjahn - 09-10-2014

[Image: tumblr_nbjjqmBVI21rw70wfo1_500.png]

SIMPSONS DID IT

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - Dazz - 09-11-2014

Is this a dispute of the trivia? Otherwise you sort of just pointlessly bumped a year+ old topic for no reason...

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - retrolinkx - 09-11-2014

Well, as long as they don't post basic shit like "the M in Mario's hat stands for MARIO" I'm okay with it.

Besides, it's useful clickbait if we do generic games like Bioshock Infinite and Skyrim along with trivia.

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - Carlos - 09-12-2014

(09-11-2014, 03:54 AM)Dazz Wrote: Is this a dispute of the trivia? Otherwise you sort of just pointlessly bumped a year+ old topic for no reason...

This isn't the first time Arjahn did this. For example, here.

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - Arjahn - 09-12-2014

Sorry for the lack of clarity, I was just trying to point out that it's a very common pun as opposed to a direct reference.

I'm not sure where to post this either, but you guys reposted trivia today -
http://didyouknowgaming.com/post/97318328355/psychonauts-and-full-throttle-source From September 12, 2014.

http://didyouknowgaming.com/post/24767078239/full-throttle From June 9, 2012.

RE: Can we stop with the broad speculation DYKG's? - CosmykTheDolfyn - 09-12-2014

A 2 year old trivia got reposted that you would have to search through pages upon pages to find.
Sorry Arjahn, that won't make a bit of difference nor will anyone really care. Reposting something from last week would get noticed and annoy the general person, but not that.