Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Activision is trying to make a system that encourages microtransactions
And no, it's not as nice as it sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wZQZQDNk40

We know that this patent has happened, as of yesterday, it was granted to Activision. The patent is specially focused on putting new players against veteran players, only so they can lose to weapons that are better than ones they have. Afterwards, a prompt to go and purchase the weapon that beat them will come up in the post match. If the player buys the weapon, the game will then pit them in a match where the weapon they purchased is effective, presumably against other new players as well who don't have that weapon. Once they do good in the match, the hope is that it will encourage more microtransactions in the future. That is obviously all kinds of disgusting, because it's manipulative and focuses on people of the gaming community who do not pay attention to daily news or game patents, and are therefore not in the know about being manipulated. Beyond that, with all the sleazy loot box systems out there that are getting worse and worse, it seems pretty clear that the intent to make several times more money per player on microtransactions and disliked developer plans, over the selling of the base game is clear, and that Activision does not care about it's consumers at all. This is an anti-consumer practice in every sense of the word and shockingly, or maybe un-shockingly, Activision has been pushing for this patent since 2015, which most likely means they were hoping to stick in Destiny 2 on top of the already disliked Loot Box system in that game. The biggest problem with all of these is of course that large portion of people I mentioned before, because they will most likely buy into it, making it successful and allowing for even worse anti-consumer practices going forward.

What are your thoughts on this patent?
People keep buying the bloody games.
They gripe and they moan, then so many still go out and buy the games.
This wouldn’t even happen if people actually boycotted companies.
Simple as.
Eh, if they're patenting it, at least it'll be harder for other companies to do it.
(10-18-2017, 08:43 PM)Psychospacecow Wrote: Eh, if they're patenting it, at least it'll be harder for other companies to do it.

Rename it, changing the terms enough, and any new patent can be filed. The only thing that might delay this, is the fact that a patent can take a while to go through.
Thing is, if they weren't filing this patent, there'd be no process of going about and doing it anyway. Not defending the practice they're patenting, but its better for us and more transparent that they're filing one.

Reminds me of when mini-games in loading screens had a barrier on it.
(10-19-2017, 02:29 AM)Psychospacecow Wrote: Thing is, if they weren't filing this patent, there'd be no process of going about and doing it anyway. Not defending the practice they're patenting, but its better for us and more transparent that they're filing one.

Reminds me of when mini-games in loading screens had a barrier on it.

In a way yes, but in a way, it also gives others who will want to do the same thing a heads up on it before it's even implemented anywhere. Imagine if EA started doing this, and then started shutting down other companies than own just because they couldn't get the process down right. I mean EA has proven they don't need much incentive to screw people over, even Amy Hennig isn't immune.
I rarely buy their games. I won't say this won't affect me, mainly because if it works other companies would do the same.
Psychological manipulation. That's what it boils down to. But you know what's a better feeling? Owning the guy with the peashooter over and over again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkkpHVjVyFQ

This video talks about the system being implemented in an early form for CoD: WWII, and yeah, it's just as bad as it seems.
Activision fucks up again. This wont end well.