01-08-2018, 10:29 PM
(01-08-2018, 09:16 PM)Hexadecimal Wrote: I watched Get Out. There is no way for me to say why I disliked it without spoilers, soooooo
[spoiler]
I loved how this film started out. It seemed VERY promising.
However... The main character's friend actually spells out everything that's happening in the plot leaving you no room to figure it out yourself, even if he isn't exactly 100% accurate. "They're hypnotizing black people to use as slaves!", "I'm going to record you!", and "This is his dog, see!". Stuff like that. He points out what you can see with your own eyes during a scene and you know that he's going to wind up being a hero of some sort.
It starts getting predictable. I was all "His girlfriend is in on this..." and was completely right.
My guess was that this was going to be like the Stepford Wives, except with black people instead.
Nope, but the "twist" was still pretty bland and makes the fact that this film had race brought into it at all pretty ridiculous. Really, it should have been anyone with desirable traits who were being lured in and having their bodies being taken over by rich old people. When the main character even asks "Why black people?" it's totally glossed over.
Him killing the family at the end was SUPER satisfying, but the scares were dull and I really feel there was nothing groundbreaking with this film. I cannot believe the scores were so high. [/spoiler]
See, I liked the idea of this movie but I think I saw a different movie then the one people saw. What people described to me was an allegory of how black people are undermined and walked all over by the white people, but without spoiling the movie, it looked more like an empowering movie for black people. Yeah there was the scene where the police officer pulled over the girlfriend an asked to see the boyfriend's ID and the "subtle" speech the dad gives about running over all the deer, but in the end Spoiler:the reason the white people wanted to be in black bodies was because they saw them as better in every way. You can say that they see it as a fashion style (black is in and all that), but I'm pretty sure that they used the word "superior" when describing black people, with the example of Grandpa getting beaten by a black man at the Olympics being the reason he wanted a black body. Maybe it's white privilege, but I didn't see the allegory.

