Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Review the last game you played.
Shenmue

As a person who owned a Dreamcast back in the day, I never really picked up Shenmue. I never knew about it until my brother came home with Shenmue 2 for the Xbox in 2004 or so. I never played that either.

I knew what it was though, and I watched videos, comics and more, and I really loved the game, even though I never played it, I eventually got down to playing it via an emulator in December.

Playing the game in 1080p, Wide screen was incredible, and Shenmue itself, while the visuals have aged, I can still be impressed by the limitations at the time, and how well it looks. Ryo, looks very detailed, with his jacket being the only blurry thing on him, everything else looks pretty good. The NPC's aren't detailed, but I like their style, it's pretty interesting, trying for a realism look, but with a small bit of anime (as far as I can tell). The environments look incredible, and even though the game is about 90% billboards, it is still pretty impressive.

I'm currently on the second disc now, and recently found the Phoenix Mirror, and I have to it's a brilliant masterpiece, Yu Suzuki is incredible, the amount of things you can do, really define the genre "FREE".

The only problems I have with the game, are the controls. I don't know who thought that walking should be done with the D-Pad, and the lack of logic in some parts, such as only one person in the small town he is in has a phone book, and it was in a tobacco store.

Overall, a very good game, it may have aged a bit, but it's a timeless classic.

9/10

Messages In This Thread
Review the last game you played. - by retrolinkx - 03-20-2013, 03:53 PM
RE: Review the last game you played. - by Frazzle - 05-05-2013, 03:33 PM
RE: Review the last game you played. - by RyeoNox - 05-21-2013, 03:07 AM
RE: Review the last game you played. - by Arjahn - 07-05-2013, 03:50 AM
RE: Review the last game you played. - by VNRob - 07-07-2013, 01:20 AM