Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
That one game series that keeps on getting worse and worse.
Likely going to step on some toes with this sizzling-hot opinion, so heads up.

The Elder Scrolls Series.

It's by no means a TERRIBLE series of changes, mind you, but each iteration has dumbed down features or even outright removed them.
Things like certain skill sets being reworked entirely or even just removed (Like armory went from being able to maintain own equipment to just creating weapons/armor immediately. Equipment doesn't wear down anymore because that's to hard for the casual market apparently.)
Speaking of Armor, you have less slots to work with now (9 slots of Morrowind, plus the clothing, amulet and two rings, to the current 5, with no clothing slots, one ring and amulet.) Also one less weight class (Medium) for them (two, technically with the Unarmored skill set.)

Spells have been reduced to very basics, for better or for worse. One hand, it reduces a clogged up spell-list, but on the other, the variety was helpful for certain situations (Magic limit, damage output, etc.).

Waypoints being plastered everywhere on Skyrim was a bit much. Most obvious one I could think of is finding the body of Narfi's dead sister near Ivarstead. The waypoint points to her skeleton, which negates the need to actually "look" for her at all, and it didn't make sense because you wouldn't know where she was at all to begin with. 
Too hand-holdy, really. Health and Magic regen also makes it all too easy and renders smaller potions redundant.

The main changes I like is mostly aesthetic ones, like graphics, character models/faces (ESPECIALLY after Oblivion), voices (ditto) and such on. Game engine stability certainly was better, as the game didn't crash nearly as often as Morrowind or Oblivion did.
One addition I'm not keen on is the physics in Oblivion/Skyrim. Morrowind let you set anything down and it'd stick there. The other two has a tendency to have objects flip around or fall off walls and such on. Seems weird to keep around when Morrowind actually got it perfectly right.

All this said, I do like Skyrim, but after playing Morrowind afterwards I'd like them to start looking back and adding stuff BACK and actually balancing it all out.

Messages In This Thread
RE: That one game series that keeps on getting worse and worse. - by G-Haven - 11-27-2014, 12:32 AM