Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
To fellow Kingdom Hearts fans, we don't need KH3 in 2016
(12-28-2015, 07:39 PM)Arjahn Wrote: You're just listing a bunch of random upcoming RPGs which are going to have varying degrees of quality. My point was simply the Square pours a lot of resources into remakes and repackagings of games instead of pursuing new creative endeavors, which admittedly isn't really the original point of the post. I'm not a big fan of modern RPGs and the number of games you listen don't really interest me. I can tolerate waiting longer for KH 3, I mean we've all gotten pretty used to that at this point, but what I don't agree with is the studio pouring time and resources into other Kingdom Hearts adaptations to give fans their fix, since they've done it so many times at this point that its starting to grate on my soul.

I wasn't discounting handheld RPGS at all, no idea where you got that from, I love me some Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest IX, and even hold the Mystery Dungeon games as some of the most touching narratives I've ever played through. I don't appreciate the notion that because I'm not an enormous fan of certain recent RPG efforts, I'm somehow less qualified to discuss them. I was pointing out that it's been a while since Square has delivered an Action-RPG on par with one of the Kingdom Hearts games, which is why I have concerns that 3 won't be able to live up to the hype.

Monster Hunter is definitely not an RPG or typical ARPG in any traditional sense. You don't gain levels or get into a sprawling story, it's closer to a straightforward action game where you craft gear. If anything, I'd compare it to first person shooters with weapon-level progression. I suppose you could call it an Action RPG, but even then on the list you gave, you're pooling so many varying types of games into the extremely broad RPG category. Honestly at this point I'm sick of the term RPG, since every friggen game with any sort of numbers in it is apparently a Role-Playing game, even if it has jack shit to do with playing a role.

To that, I say no, at least not exactly. The RPG's I listed are every single one that I know that's coming next year, all of which have a lot of fans or hype. The reaction for Neir: Automata for example really surprised me considering how Neir, good as it is, was not that popular. Same thing goes for the Dragon Quest remakes, Bravely Second, Star Ocean, most of these had some pretty big reactions upon their announcement. With that many RPG's in the market, it's getting flooded, hence why I say I think Kingdom Hearts III is better off releasing in 2017. A lot of people are going to want to pick up a lot of these games, regardless of quality, because their fans. With that many to choose from, it's kind of important not to throw too much at everyone at once. 

If you don't appreciate my notion, don't give off the idea that you like action RPG's over everything else in the RPG genre and not give examples of other RPG's you've played. Also, I don't know where you got the idea that I said anything about recent RPG's. I said I've been playing RPG's much longer than Kingdom Hearts has been around. If anything, that's saying that I was talking about older RPG's.

Messages In This Thread
RE: To fellow Kingdom Hearts fans, we don't need KH3 in 2016 - by RepentantSky - 12-29-2015, 03:02 PM