Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Would you like to see animation studios make PG13 and R rated cartoons for the cinema
(03-27-2016, 02:16 AM)SamuraiGaiden Wrote: SamuraiGaidenYou bring up a really interesting point.  There are plenty of popular adult cartoon franchises out there in the television format, either in recent years or currently playing.  The biggest one I can think of is Archer.  It's very popular from what I understand and has recently either been renewed for a 7th season or has started its 7th season.  So why not an Archer movie?

I was mostly talking about the lack of original material for feature length films when it comes to adult cartoons Samurai. When it comes to tv shows that are based off of adult cartoons, studios know that there is an audience from those shows since its popular(like Archer and Rick and Morty). I don't know if an Archer movie will happen or not. I don't even believe it's been considered or not. I do know that at one point there was consideration for a Family guy movie and a new South Park movie(which from what I've gathered would have been the finale of Family guy). As for South Park, a new film was just in consideration. Looks like nothing has came off of the drawing board for those two yet.

(03-27-2016, 02:16 AM)SamuraiGaiden Wrote: I will say though that your remarks definitely show the different between the East and the West.  If you look up a list of R-rated animated movies almost all of them are Anime movies, Akira, Jin-Roh, Appleseed, Patlabor, etc.  The Western animation titles on such lists are either an animated tie-in/spin-off to something that was already rated adultish or something that's on the list because it has animated stuff in it but is still primarily/partially live-action (like Cool World).  The few exceptions are, as you said, Seth Macfarlane type of stuff or the Heavy Metal series, really; or independent stuff.  And y'know, that South Park movie, of course.

Yeah, if you look at the animation on films that produced in both America as well as Europe and Japan. You'll find that Japan and Europe have more adult(if you're not counting hentai since that's more of erotic stuff then the average PG13 and R rated stuff) cartoons compared to America. Europe and Japan see animation as the art form that it truly is. While American animation studios don't want to take a risk with marketing/producing an animated film that isn't for children. In most cases, adult animated films usually suffer from bad management from the studios. Such as butchering the idea that was originally pitched only to make it similar to something that was already popular(Cool World suffered that and it made Ralph Bakshi vow never to work for any Hollywood studio again after his experience with being backstabbed by paramount). I don't consider Seth Macfalane's cartoons as 'adult' animation to be completely honest. Since its just childish. All of his cartoons follow the same lead, have stuff in there for the sake of being there, and are poorly animated I might add. Independent animation doesn't seem to be marketed well in the USA since its not from say Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, or even Blu sky for that matter. They all stand out like a sore thumb compared to what Disney and the other guys produce.

(03-27-2016, 02:16 AM)SamuraiGaiden Wrote: Now, like I said with the Archer idea - and as you touched on with the Fritz the cat info - I think the best chance is to get take IP that would work well as an R-rated animated film.You seem to be passionate about this issue, Cool, can you think of any IPs that would make good animated films?  I don't...actually have TV so I don't really have a whole lot of personal resources to draw on. =/

I have a few IPS in mind that would make good R rated animated films. Conker's Bad fur day(that would really give Disney and Pixar a run for their money on how 'animation is for kids' since Conker was parodying the whole 'games are for kids' crap). Leisure Suit Larry(I know I would personally love to do this if I was even famous since Leisure Suit Larry is perfect for an R rated comedy since its just about a guy trying to get laid but only to have things backfire on him in the process an animated film based off of this game would surely work much better for animation then it would for live-action). As for comics, I hate Fairyland would make an awesome animated film for an R rating. Along with The Boulevard of Broken Dreams(which is a great graphic novel, although I can mostly see that working out as a live-action/animated film like Roger Rabbit and Cool World). Lastly(since I save the best for last) an R rated animated film of Tank girl(that's more true to the comics with this animation style that it had in the live-action movie) as well as an animated film of Max Payne with the veins of Ralph Bakshi's Heavy Traffic and Coonskin would work just fine with me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you like to see animation studios make PG13 and R rated cartoons for the cinema - by CLXcool - 04-05-2016, 07:51 PM