Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A new interview from Bill Watterson
(10-30-2013, 02:51 PM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: I actually do know of at least one changed one in The Far Sie, although it was censored even before first printing. It was a bunch of alligators standing over a bucket. The caption read "Bobbing for Poodles". It was originally "Bobbing for babies".

So there you go. They all get changed. It's no big deal, really. At least not in my mind. I don't care, and I don't see why it would be a big stink. I also believe that those changes are made by editors and publishers, not the original artists, and sometimes it that or nothing. Not the artist's fault.

A change "Made before the first printing" is way different than already released uncut in other books and seen by the public. I looked at my collection and that whole poodle/baby thing actually does get brought up, so there. That's because it was a good collection handled with care. So no, it's not a "there you go". It IS A BIG FREAKING DEAL WHEN YOU ARE DISHING OUT OVER $100 FOR A SO CALLED COLLECTORS EDITION. Get it?

You believe one way, I believe another, so that's that. If you're going to get super picky over the strips I'll bet I can go through the books and find a ton more that people would have problems with. There's even some religious ones, but those are left untouched! Why on earth is adoption of all things such a huge deal?

I found the original comic:
[Image: calvinhobbes3-620x200.jpg]

Here's the text of how it was changed:
CALVIN: Watch out, Mom. I’m in a bad mood.
MOM: Be in a bad mood somewhere else, OK? I’m busy.
CALVIN: Hmph! I’ll bet A GOOD MOTHER would’ve bought me a comic book and made me feel better instead of shunning me like you.
MOM: Kid, anyone but your GOOD MOTHER would’ve left you to the wolves long ago.
CALVIN: Yeah right. LET’S SEE YOUR TRAINING CERTIFICATE.

Totally ruins the strip.

I found it here: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com...ealed-330/

And look at this!: "Like the ommission of the washing machine gag, this is all Bill Watterson’s doing. Since he has not spoken/written about it, we can only guess as to his motives (although they seem pretty clear, right?). "

So yes, Bill is a hypocrite, as I initially thought. I sincerely doubt with how big Calvin and Hobbes got to be that the publishers of this complete collection would've gone against any of his wishes.

I'm done with this now. I'm tired from the house stress and it doesn't help that I get worked up over things from my childhood that I treasure. Once again, it completely ruined the one strip. This isn't like in the Brave Little Toaster where a lady got a bikini top for the DVD instead of pasties like on the VHS. It drastically changes the strip and sucks all the humor out.

Messages In This Thread
A new interview from Bill Watterson - by CLXcool - 10-30-2013, 09:44 AM
RE: A new interview from Bill Watterson - by Hexadecimal - 10-30-2013, 04:16 PM