Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Did Nintendo really revive the game industry?
(12-24-2013, 10:36 AM)RepentantSky Wrote: You can't blame sony for killing Sega, they are the ones that effectively created sony by rejecting them. They literally dug their own grave with that one. I didn't read the rest of your post because I'm in a hurry, being that it's Christmas eve and all, but I'll get back to it. I just had to comment on that one bit, because I can't believe you would say something so stupid.

No, I can.

While I will admit, Sega were stupid with the idea of the Mega CD and the 32x, Sony really did kill them. The Saturn was shit because of the PS1, they rushed the release and made it $399 at release because of the PS1. It had no games, all third party support was practically gone, the specs were horrible and difficult to work with and the console really hurt Sega. Then the PS1 came out with a $299 price tag, games at release and the promise of more to come. It sold more in one day than the Saturn did in the 6/7 months prior.

Then, when they sorted their act out with the Dreamcast, Sony came out with the PS2, and just threw Tech at it. They gave it a DVD player and hey presto, it sold like hotcakes. Effectively killing the Dreamcast and Sega along with it.

Seriously, the only reason the Playstation brand is so successful is because of the circumstances it was in. It was either go with Nintendo, a company that will treat you like shit, force you to abide by their rules and make games using a limited cartridge system, or go to Sega who have a console with difficult architecture to make games on, and knowing that you will probably not make a profit due to the fact many people do not own the Saturn.

The Playstation was perfect, easy to use architecture, CD's were a great storage system, and everything was perfect for devs. It's why the PS1 and PS2 have more than 1500 games on their system.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like the games Playstation have made. I think the PS1 and the PS2 were great consoles with tons of games, they have interesting and unique games I could never have seen by Sega or Nintendo, but the reason I dislike Sony is that they pretty much turned the video game market into what it is today.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Nintendo really revive the game industry? - by retrolinkx - 12-24-2013, 12:20 PM