Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Poll: Which one do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Basic Rerelease
17.65%
3 17.65%
HD Upgrade
35.29%
6 35.29%
Remake
5.88%
1 5.88%
Full Remake
35.29%
6 35.29%
Reimagining
5.88%
1 5.88%
Reboot
0%
0 0%
Demake
0%
0 0%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Rereleases. What do you prefer?
Depends. I like remakes of 3D games in the modern era to be re-rendered to take advantage of widescreen display.

I like new content and and performance tweaking like Metal Slug X... and even some complete reimagining like Dracula X Chronicles on PSP which was cool as long as it included the original game. I dislike new content if it's hamfisted, or was developed by a different team and feels like a romhack (ie: the Saturn version of Symphony of the Night's extra levels or FFVI Advance's extra bosses and dungeons).

I like translation fixes in old school JRPG's. I do enjoy upgrades sometimes, like FFIV Complete on PSP but I like that I can toggle between original visuals and arranged soundtrack in some remakes. Halo's remake did that. I liked the rebalanced battle system in FFIV on DS for a sense of new challenge, but to me, going from 2D SNES sprites to N64-style triangluar polygonal bobble heads was blah.

It all needs to be complete and perfect, in a Criterion Classic Collection sense, and everything should be optional or toggled as much as possible.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Ico/SotC is perfect, because Bluepoint starts with the final code sourced from the retail game itself, and not incomplete source that's been collecting dust in the basement of an unappreciative business (Silent Hill 2 & 3) that has no sense of preservation.

Resident Evil RE:Make on Gamecube and Metroid Zero Mission are a testament to the idea of competent, astoundingly good remakes. Conversely, I would prefer a 16 bit demake of FFVII to the interactive Advent Children movie I think everyone else wants.

I suppose I like basic release most, because that's the foundation I want everything built on when it's coming to a new platform.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rereleases. What do you prefer? - by 2D Brain - 03-18-2013, 08:41 PM
RE: Rereleases. What do you prefer? - by Arjahn - 03-18-2013, 08:45 PM
RE: Rereleases. What do you prefer? - by 2D Brain - 03-22-2013, 12:44 AM