Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 21 Guest(s)
The Free Gaming Thread v3: Check Out Cosmyk's Mustache
Been playing Cave Story for the last 6 hours or so. Why did no one tell me Cave Story was this good?

Also, this music is annoying me since I know I've heard it in a video on youtube before, but I can't pinpoint it. Like some random repeated gif video that uses this music (like Nyan Cat)

EDIT: Also finished the game as well. Boy it was great a solid 8.5/10 apart from three sections.

The first two problems arise from a similar think Dark Souls has that I hate. Long corridors, Hard Bosses. In other words, if you die from a hard boss, you're sent back at least 5 minutes and you have to go through those 5 minutes again and again. This is also made really annoying by the fact that your weapons have a sort of degrading system, in which if you get hit too much your weapon levels down and becomes weaker and to only way to get this back up is to kill enemies and hope they drop experience orbs to pick up.

So you have to go through the same long corridor, avoiding as many enemies and any other possible hazards as possible to get another shot at a boss. I really hate this since you have to waste time doing all of this when they could've easily placed a save point right outside the boss's room. It's a massive waste of time and I really hate it.

The last section was actually the final boss, or should I say the final boss rush mode which I hated so much. Took me around 50 minutes to do. I really hated it because the first boss you waste all your stuff on because you don't fully understand the fight or the idea that you're going to fight another boss and then BAM another boss. So you're half health, low ammo. You try your best and you somehow beat him. Great huh? Wrong, THERE'S ANOTHER FUCKING BOSS and if you somehow defeat this boss and get to the core guess fucking what.

THERE'S ANOTHER BOSS

ACTUALLY IT'S A BOSS WITH TWO MINI-BOSSES

Honestly, it wasn't THAT bad once I finished it because I knew exactly how to deal with them all, but holy shit I hate boss rush modes, they could've at least AT LEAST put a save point before the final final boss. It's annoying to go through 4 bosses just because you want the game to be harder. Hell, on the final run I had I killed the 2nd and 3rd boss in literal seconds without taking any damage.

Still a great game though, it's interesting to see that the game has different endings and you can choose to do things, like not accepting a machine gun mid game would let you get a better weapon as the game goes on, or not accepting a jet pack literally saves someone's life. Music is great and has a very metroid-ey feel to it.

My favourite part of the game has got to be when you get to have Curly as a companion and you go through the final stages of Labyrinth together with this playing. It really felt good to blow all that up with someone beside you while the fast paced music helps you along the way. It gave the whole scene an upbeat sort of "Hey, let's get outta this impossible to get out of situation, together" and it was super fun to get through the whole area. I really enjoyed that part.

Spoiler:I sadly didn't save Curly, but I will attempt a re-run of the game eventually

Also holy fuck this game goes for £50+ for the 3DS. It came out in 2011, I should've snatched this up and played it back then when I had the chance, god damn.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Free Gaming Thread v3: Check Out Cosmyk's Mustache - by retrolinkx - 08-05-2016, 04:30 AM