Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 22 Guest(s)
The Free Gaming Thread v3: Check Out Cosmyk's Mustache
(08-19-2016, 10:37 AM)retrolinkx Wrote: Also, Hotel Dusk is a perfect "Where do I go game?"

I'm sorry to say but I've had to consult a guide many times just because it has some weird puzzles to solve or stupid things to do before the game advances.

Like, one part has you finding a pen on the floor, you pick it up and you can't make out a name on the pen. So you want to find out how to make out the name. So I'm stumped, look up a guide. Turned out you were meant to take some chalk from a chalk board outside to put some on your finger to wipe on the pen to get the name.

Or, there would be a part where you have to go somewhere or talk to someone, and it just wouldn't even give you a hint of where to go. You're walking around the Hotel hoping for a scene to happen, but nothing does. When you'd eventually check it up it'd be something like "Oh yeah, remember that door that was locked for the whole game? It's open now lol"

Hell the current puzzle is stupid. He finds an unwound cassette tape, and he has to wind it up. No biggie right, just use a pen. Uh, nope. The pen I have is too round so I can't use it, it just slides around the holes. I mean if this was me, I'd get the two keys I have in my inventory to twist the holes to wind up the tape, or hell I'd use my fingers. Whatever the game is making me find will be stupid....and let's just check the guide...

(08-18-2016, 02:30 PM)Guide Wrote: "Make the trip back to Room 215, and pick up the pencil from your suitcase."

Ah, alright. Of course. Makes sense I guess, I mean why else would there be a pencil in the suitcase. I mean, unless this was common knowledge to people in the 70's, and it's just been lost on people like me (Who, looking back I haven't had to use a cassette tape since 2008, and not once have I ever found an unwound one) then I guess it makes sense. Still a really annoying thing to do.

There's a razor too, will Hyde wake up in the morning and be like "Hmm, hair has grown on my face somehow, WHAT DO I DO?????" and time will stop because nothing ever happens until Hyde wills it to.

OMG. Right?! I remember needing to resort to guides as well when I played and ended up going "...Really?" so many times. If not for the internet, no way would I have finished it. The characters, story, and art style are pretty neat, but it should have had a hint option if what you had to do in too many areas was going to be so weird. Touch Detective had the same issue where it didn't provide even the slightest clue that you had to combine certain object to get the game movie forward.

I have the sequel to Hotel Dusk still sitting around after I imported. Now I kind of want to find it and see if they improved on giving the player some sort of direction. I don't mind having to think in games, but when you're left completely and totally stumped as to whether or not you need to combine something, find another item, or even be in a different area there's a problem.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Free Gaming Thread v3: Check Out Cosmyk's Mustache - by Hexadecimal - 08-19-2016, 02:24 PM