Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 18 Guest(s)
The Free Gaming Thread v3: Check Out Cosmyk's Mustache
(10-13-2016, 04:22 PM)retrolinkx Wrote: The sad thing is, that's truly a game that has aged like milk in terms of it's....idea.

Imagine you're a kid in the 80's, and you get this MASSIVE game. You'd get out a pen and paper and start drawing a map out as you progress, you'd play the game again and again to know exactly where things where, you'd explore this massive area alone in the dark, you'd probably play the game into the night as well.

The game was so huge for the time, that it's honestly amazing to look back and think about it with that mindset. Same with Zelda, drawing a map as you progress sounds really fun if I had the time to do it, and would extend the gameplay because you'd really want to find everything and do everything you can.

These days, we don't have time to make maps when you can find it all online. We don't have time for the origins of the metroid gameplay when Super Metroid/Fusion perfected it and Prime evolved from it. It's just a mindset and game from the past that you sadly can't emulate today, and no that's not a pun.

I should say that I don't hate the game itself, I just hate the execution. The game is made to look around and find everything. You can go anywhere you want but you need certain items to beat the game. The atmosphere is one of loneliness but at the same time, one where you know you don't need anyone. With out this game, we may not have had Cave Story, Guacamelee!, and number of Castlevania games, among others. I would have loved to have been a kid in the 80's playing this game and making my own maps to find the fastest way to beat the game to see Zero Suit Samus.

My problem is that I played Zero Mission first, and because of that, I see all the improvements that were made. There's backgrounds instead of a black void, which brings across the alien planet feel instead of just being in a dark cave. I know more about the story despite not having the manual. Even though it makes it more linear, but it makes me look and admire the game more. The power ups make me feel powerful insted of making me feel power less as I grind health every time I power on the game. It's a better game in every way IMO

If you like this game, perfectly fine. Don't let me stop you. I just think that the first game has flaws, just like Megaman, Mario, Zelda, Sonic, and many others. They aren't bad games, but they were used as blueprints to work off of to make better games. When you hear favorites in a series, you most likely will hear Megaman 2, Super Mario Bros 3 (or World), A Link to the Past, Sonic 2, and Super Metroid. Hell, I like Metroid II, but it hasn't aged the best either. It used what didn't work in the first game and improved (adding an idea of where you're going and giving you save points).

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Free Gaming Thread v3: Check Out Cosmyk's Mustache - by gamemaster1991 - 10-13-2016, 06:34 PM