Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 19 Guest(s)
The Free Gaming Thread v3: Check Out Cosmyk's Mustache
Somehow in my hours long quest to fix a broken Japanese PS2 I got for pretty cheap, I got it to, and I'm still not even sure how I did this, load up a North American game.
[Image: 20632415_1639623192715487_1734347836_n.j...e=5985CD57]

Sorry for the shitty image, but the game I loaded up was an american copy of Madden 2002. I'm still not even sure how this happened, but hey this means it works, I guess!

EDIT: Okay so I figured it out: if you place a PS1 game into the console while it's on, let it spin for a bit, and then hit the reset button twice, the game will load up. I've tested this with both Madden NFL 2002, and Destruction Derby 2, and they both loaded up and played just fine. I have a feeling I just stumbled across a modchipped PS2.

EDIT 2: Yup this thing is softmodded. From what I gather online, this thing is in a constant "PS2 Mode", which means it will only read PS2 games and CDs. Hitting the reset button twice will flip it into "PS1 Mode" which will allow it to read PS1 games. Hitting the reset button three times puts it in "DVD mode" which allows it to play DVD movies. I couldn't find any name of a modchip with this particular set of instructions (although the Super 7 modchip does feature the same "hit reset twice to play PS1 games" so maybe I have a chip in the same family), or even any evidence of a modchip (although granted I wouldn't even know what to look for), considering the bizarre nature of loading games and DVDs, and the region free nature of the machine (which isn't standard), it's safe to say it's modified in some capacity.

Only noticeable thing about this modchip (besides all the reset hitting) is the fact that the console is region free (besides the DVD player). I've yet to try and play backups.

and what this really means is that all the time I spent tinkering with this thing was for nothing because the thing didn't have an issue reading PS1 games at all it was just in PS2 mode and I didn't know how to get it out.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Free Gaming Thread v3: Check Out Cosmyk's Mustache - by Takahashi2212 - 08-04-2017, 01:54 AM