Important Announcement
Forum has been made read-only. Please click here for more information or here to return to VGFacts.

Users browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)
The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri
(02-21-2017, 06:19 PM)SERIOUSLY THOUGH Wrote:
(02-21-2017, 05:23 PM)Zpace Jockey Wrote:
(02-21-2017, 09:32 AM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: Pieces of American Sign Language, Arawak and some of the intricacies of Pidgin English.
(Shh I also want to learn a bit of Klingon shh)

TIL that they are variations of the sing language depending on the country.

It's an absolutely fascinating subject.
Each language tends to take from their culture to create gestures that would make sense to their speakers.
Even within the same language American Sign Language differs from British, etc etc.
French Sign Llanguage differs from Québec Sign Language.
When I took a few classes of ASL back in college (been so long, I only remember a little nowadays), I had one professor that was from a British background and was incredibly formal in his ASL still just due to his British background.  My other professor was a woman who had been deaf her whole life and felt entirely fine using all the slang and shortcuts in her signing, as it was the way her and her friends actually spoke.  I saw the two of them clash heads several times on whether the curriculum should be more formal and then introduce those aspects later or just show the students everything right from the start.  It was fairly funny and amazing.
Also, there are real accents in Sign Language too.  West ASL vs East ASL is fairly different.  AND babies with deaf mothers have been observed making "babble" with their hands the same way hearing children babble as they try to learn to speak any other spoken language.  It's all really cool.

I've also started some an online Welsh course.  Now THAT is a bizarre language in it's configurations, I feel like I'm talking like Yoda 24/7 with it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Chit-Chat Thread v3: Electric Potpourri - by CosmykTheDolfyn - 02-21-2017, 07:19 PM